Author Topic: Crowdsourcing an Adventure Path?  (Read 26596 times)

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
Re: Crowdsourcing an Adventure Path?
« Reply #240 on: March 01, 2016, 01:09:41 PM »
That sounds like a sufficiently decent population size. With Rapata near by, it should be self-sustaining.

Who should the others be? Primarily Jameri and Haidic with a few others? If others, do we have at least a few from all the other major groups; Quaidu, Fustir, Jaimeni Elves, Zor and Syrkakar? Perhaps some outsiders as well?

Of the races mentioned in Xa-ar, I think only the Syrkakar have really been covered in any detail (maybe the Fustir-Gost for some details on the Fustir) and that in The Iron Wind. Most of the others have just got brief descriptions in the Master Atlas, although for the Lotana you'd have to look up the Y'nar.

I think I would consider the village to be more fishing than farming oriented. Looking at the region map, I think the farming would be quite poor, so I would imagine most food comes from the sea, with some arable crops around the village and sheep in the foothills of the mountain.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #241 on: March 01, 2016, 01:36:33 PM »
The interesting issue is that most people do not know what those races are and descriptions are at a minimum. Are they humans, elves, dwarves, races that are not known about in any fantasy realm.... This really needs to be thought through and I agree that the races and descriptions would only enhance SW as a whole. When using systems such as ERA to create characters it is hard to find out what to use for races as there is minimal descriptions and no regions listed for favorite population region to go from. So a short Guide as to what is common in the region with descriptions would go very far.

Languages is another sore point in the SW system as there is no complete list of languages to list.

How many different languages are there?
How many are spoken in the region?
Are they open to be learned by anyone or only a specific or few races?
What is the creature or enemy language (ork, goblin, gark, ECT...)?
Is there a trade speech or common tongue or is it just regional?

This is a sore point with me about SW because there are only a few examples and character development suffers from this point.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #242 on: March 01, 2016, 01:40:33 PM »
I think it would be a good idea to copy the Racial Summary boxes found in things like Emer III for those races that need it. These have the following topics:

Racial Origins
Political Structure
Technology
Architecture
Clothing
Military Structure
Social Structure
Economy
Language
Appearance/Attire
Subsistence Pattern/Diet
Worship
Culture Notes

Perhaps with a sidebar of all the different local languages spoken as well for easy reference.

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #243 on: March 01, 2016, 02:28:29 PM »
Looking at the racial brake down of Tepentor to the west and Rapata to the east we could say about 60% Jameri, 25% Haid, and 15% Lotana.  The rest would account for just around 10-15 people and would be a mix if Quaidu, Fustir, and elf or two.  The rest would more likely be travelers.

Good?  Bad?

-BP

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #244 on: March 01, 2016, 02:38:41 PM »
The interesting issue is that most people do not know what those races are and descriptions are at a minimum. Are they humans, elves, dwarves, races that are not known about in any fantasy realm.... This really needs to be thought through and I agree that the races and descriptions would only enhance SW as a whole. When using systems such as ERA to create characters it is hard to find out what to use for races as there is minimal descriptions and no regions listed for favorite population region to go from. So a short Guide as to what is common in the region with descriptions would go very far.

I have started to look around at the different materials to see what I can find about the different races (physical descriptions, culture differences and the like) and have found that I need to hit several different sources.  I am wondering if the culture of a race here would be different than the same race say further south, due to environmental difference and a blending of racial norms.

Languages is another sore point in the SW system as there is no complete list of languages to list.

How many different languages are there?
How many are spoken in the region?
Are they open to be learned by anyone or only a specific or few races?
What is the creature or enemy language (ork, goblin, gark, ECT...)?
Is there a trade speech or common tongue or is it just regional?

This is a sore point with me about SW because there are only a few examples and character development suffers from this point.

Man, I have yet to determine the racial make up...  This is why most fantasy setting use a Common tongue.   :)  But I would try to determine the language spoken best in this area and say everyone can at least understand it and speak enough to trade amongst themselves.  After that a listing of languages available to learn.  Is that OK?

-BP

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #245 on: March 01, 2016, 02:40:49 PM »
Jaimani-Erlin is a common tongue on Jaiman, and there are also several dialects of Rhaya.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #246 on: March 01, 2016, 03:17:47 PM »
Yeah sorry for the brainstorming, I just had an issue with the languages or lack of list of them and knowing that characters are created with starter languages has been a thorn due to a lack of the list. Region does play a big role on what language is considered common such as Shay VS Jaimari or Rhaya. The with the addition of Quaidu and others raises the question of what is available in the region.

I think it would be a good idea to copy the Racial Summary boxes found in things like Emer III for those races that need it. These have the following topics:

Racial Origins
Political Structure
Technology
Architecture
Clothing
Military Structure
Social Structure
Economy
Language
Appearance/Attire
Subsistence Pattern/Diet
Worship
Culture Notes

Perhaps with a sidebar of all the different local languages spoken as well for easy reference.
This would be very useful and a good resource for region and adventures in SW as a Whole. The Atlas is great but a SW racial guide with languages as well as the above would be hugely beneficial especially to me as I keep just using the core races for RMSS rather than delve into the SW races due to lack of information in a guide that has this information in one area. Races, descriptions, regions common, languages common, outlook as a group would reflect tremendously and be a handy source book.

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #247 on: March 01, 2016, 03:21:37 PM »
Yeah sorry for the brainstorming, I just had an issue with the languages or lack of list of them and knowing that characters are created with starter languages has been a thorn due to a lack of the list. Region does play a big role on what language is considered common such as Shay VS Jaimari or Rhaya. The with the addition of Quaidu and others raises the question of what is available in the region.

Racial Origins
Political Structure
Technology
Architecture
Clothing
Military Structure
Social Structure
Economy
Language
Appearance/Attire
Subsistence Pattern/Diet
Worship
Culture Notes

This would be very useful and a good resource for region and adventures in SW as a Whole. The Atlas is great but a SW racial guide with languages as well as the above would be hugely beneficial especially to me as I keep just using the core races for RMSS rather than delve into the SW races due to lack of information in a guide that has this information in one area. Races, descriptions, regions common, languages common, outlook as a group would reflect tremendously and be a handy source book.

No!  the brainstorming is great!!!   I am just addingthis to the list of things we need to get in place.  The common language would be spoken in the market and the like.  But what do the people speak around the dining room tables.  In my family we spoke English in the stores and schools, but around the dinner table we spoke (and still do) Icelandic.

We need a listing of the languages in Xa-ar and who might speak each.

-BP

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #248 on: March 01, 2016, 03:31:06 PM »
Great, as one can tell my emphasis is usually on the PC interactive arena. The history, Shadow Plots and Politics are not my strong suit but the interaction of PC's and the actors or environment around them is a strong point for me. Anyway, once the town makeup is done, and I like what has been put out with the population suggestions, then filling in which races make the political decisions, business/trade professions, and other city makeups will follow. Also race relations within the city vs others (outlook) is it good, phobic (racist), distrustful? Is this going to be the home to any PC's or travelers or both?

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #249 on: March 01, 2016, 03:48:56 PM »
Hi all,

Am late to the thread but interested in the approach. Please let me know if/when you move to a different forum area and start dividing up the tasks. My wife and I like to create the people, places and things - that is the background content for locales, history, climate, geography, local rumor/plot/NPCs.

Regards,
Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #250 on: March 01, 2016, 04:47:39 PM »
There are the two common tongues which could be spoken by anyone. Some Lotana will speak Kugor, probably those more involved in the religion. Syrkakar speak Syrkan. Fustir probably speak a variant of Umli.

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #251 on: March 01, 2016, 07:24:59 PM »
Do we have a listing of the languages and the sources?

-BP

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #252 on: March 01, 2016, 07:40:04 PM »
Hi all,

Am late to the thread but interested in the approach. Please let me know if/when you move to a different forum area and start dividing up the tasks. My wife and I like to create the people, places and things - that is the background content for locales, history, climate, geography, local rumor/plot/NPCs.

Regards,
Old Man

As I have said the more input the better.  I have the town pretty much rougher our, but just have names for most of the NPCs.  I could use help there.  And have not looked at items.

-BP

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #253 on: March 02, 2016, 04:39:55 AM »
Kugor: SWMA3 p200, SWMA4 p232, references essentially identical. Described as being taught to the Lotana priesthood, Xa-ar p74, also suggested as a PC language p42.

Jaimani-Erlin: SWMA3 p199, SWMA4 p231, Player Guide p44, references essentially identical, dialect of Erlin used as a common tongue.

Rhaya: SWMA3 p200, SWMA4 p231, references essentially identical, described as being the predominant dialect of Jaiman with seven distinct dialects (one for each of the six kingdoms and another?).

Syrkan: SWMA3 P200, SWMA4 p231, references essentially identical, described as being a blend of Haidic and Umli, spoken by Syrkakar.

Fustir: The related Fustir-Gost speak an Umli dialect, The Iron Wind p11. Only references to Umli language appear to be here and in the description of Syrkan.

Haidic: SWMA3 p200, SWMA4 p231, references essentially identical. Syrkan is described as coming from Haidic and Umli roots. Presumably there is a Haidic language, but there appears to be no other reference.

Quaidu: No languages given. They are mostly soldiers for others, so it seems likely they will use the dominant tongue of where they are.

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #254 on: March 02, 2016, 09:40:00 AM »
I love the language listing above.  Truly outstanding research!  So I would say that day to day language used in the town would be Jaimani-Erlin.  Everyone should have a working knowledge of the language.  But there would be others that are spoken in the homes of between members of a culture/race.

I see the Blue Dragon Priest using Kugor almost exclusively.  This is because I see him as somewhat of a fanatic when it comes to the Blue Dragon and Lotana culture.  When he buy goods and services he will use Jaimani-Erlin, but all other times he will use Kugor.

This might mean that almost all citizens of the town would have a few words of Kugor in their knowledge.  Much like people in California in the Us having a few words of Spanish, or any other place where cultures are blended.

The other dialects would be hit or miss, but some folks might have a smattering of knowledge of them.  Maybe enough to know that some conversation they hear is of that language.

Comments?  Am I on the right track?

-BP

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #255 on: March 02, 2016, 09:51:46 AM »
I have this to help with research: http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item686

Although I do need to update it with Emer III, the new Eidolon and Cloudlords, Green Gryphon and Loremaster Legacy. I do find it useful though.

For common tongue, yes, either Jaimani-Erlin or maybe a dialect of Rhaya. I can't find anything as yet on what the different dialects are. I would expect six of the seven to be from the former Crown Kingdoms. Not sure about the seventh. Xa-ar was never really a part of the kingdoms though, so Rhaya may not be as common, and there are influences from other areas.

For Kugor, yes, I don't see it being spoken much outside the priesthood, although the odd word might be known. Especially as it's a Dragon language that humans don't normally know anyway; the Blue Dragon is the only reason the Lotana use it at all. It's certainly not widespread, but it would be useful for a player to have knowledge of it (for potential adventure and plot hooks).

The area might not be truly cosmopolitan, but there are enough different peoples in the area to make it seem that way.

For the cultural summaries I mentioned earlier, I imagine that in some parts of them they would have two sections, one for a society dominated by the race and one for Xa-ar society where it isn't dominated. So, the Lotana might have a specific political structure in their own settlements, but wouldn't follow it to the same extent in others, simply because they can't.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #256 on: March 02, 2016, 10:05:25 AM »
I would recommend that Jaimani be the dominant with Jaimani-Erlini as the trade language or maybe even Rhaya as the dominant language as this is still part of the continent with influences. Agree that Kugor is known 1-3 ranks in spoken 1-2 in written due to the influence. One cannot live in an area of mixed cultures without understanding a few words or phrases. There may not be enough influence to support Erlini so the trade language of Jaimani-Erlini may be a stretch unless common in the region and cities close by. The other races such as Haid having a strong minority then Haidic would also be a language used in the area as well.

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #257 on: March 02, 2016, 10:15:17 AM »
I have this to help with research: http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item686

Although I do need to update it with Emer III, the new Eidolon and Cloudlords, Green Gryphon and Loremaster Legacy. I do find it useful though.

For common tongue, yes, either Jaimani-Erlin or maybe a dialect of Rhaya. I can't find anything as yet on what the different dialects are. I would expect six of the seven to be from the former Crown Kingdoms. Not sure about the seventh. Xa-ar was never really a part of the kingdoms though, so Rhaya may not be as common, and there are influences from other areas.

For Kugor, yes, I don't see it being spoken much outside the priesthood, although the odd word might be known. Especially as it's a Dragon language that humans don't normally know anyway; the Blue Dragon is the only reason the Lotana use it at all. It's certainly not widespread, but it would be useful for a player to have knowledge of it (for potential adventure and plot hooks).

The area might not be truly cosmopolitan, but there are enough different peoples in the area to make it seem that way.

For the cultural summaries I mentioned earlier, I imagine that in some parts of them they would have two sections, one for a society dominated by the race and one for Xa-ar society where it isn't dominated. So, the Lotana might have a specific political structure in their own settlements, but wouldn't follow it to the same extent in others, simply because they can't.

I like this.  I am still working on the town (going to let my play test group destroy it on Sat, seems to be what tey like to do with my towns).  I am going to see what they think of the NPCs I have come up with and if they like/hate them.

-BP

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #258 on: March 02, 2016, 02:38:01 PM »
I wonder if there's a Y'nari language.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #259 on: March 02, 2016, 03:27:23 PM »
I wonder if there's a Y'nari language.

No. The Y'nar are a racial group, like Asians. Koreans and Japanese and Chinese languages have little commonality.

Also, I love this language discussion, and I apologize for not going into it more in my previous books. I should note that while Erlin is kind of a 'common tongue' across the hemisphere, where most people can speak at least a few basic phrases badly in order to trade, etc., in Jaiman, Rhaya is what most Jaiman natives would be taught first. (Unless I am contradicting something I wrote years ago, which is possible!)

Language skills are some thing that should be important, and I finally put some in the new edition of Eidolon, making that important distinction between writing and speaking skill.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.