Author Topic: 'Creators of the Critical Hit'?  (Read 6887 times)

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
Re: 'Creators of the Critical Hit'?
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2013, 01:56:13 AM »
I'd leave that up to Colin, John or Nicholas to decide if that is prudent. It would be nice to stir up some the glorious past when finally bringing out RMU, but that is just my take on it.
Game On!

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• Shadow World Dev
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2013, 02:47:26 AM »
I just dug out my 'Third Printing' of Arms Law

http://www.icewebring.com/ICE_Products/Product_Page.php?product_id=190%20Arms%20Law

Which is probably the earliest version I still have. Wow, the parchment and the perforation; I can't believe we made any money on this thing! That kind of stuff now would be so expensive. And all the screens were done by hand with rubylith overlays. Oh, the olden days...
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• Shadow World Dev
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2013, 12:29:20 AM »
Just a bit more random old ICE founders trivia, the first game I played in was Pete's 'Crown Quest' which was to destroy the Iron Crown of Morgoth (hence the eventual name of the company). I joined one year into the quest, so my character Agonar was several levels lower than the older gamers; there were two tiers of players. We played in classrooms of the UVa Engineering school (lots of big rooms, machines and passages with iron-grate floors; could have made great movie-sets), sometimes all night on weekends, which lent a wonderful eerie quality to the games. I found out years later that Pete originally thought that I had lied about my last name, thinking that it was too ridiculous to be real (Amthor is very rare, and is, of course an anagram for Amroth, as in the Prince of Dol Amroth in Tolkien), but he came around. This was the 1976-77 academic year when the new Arms Law tables were firs being tested, this went on through my undergraduate years (and Pete moving on to law school), and then the founding of ICE in 1980. Questions?
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2013, 10:21:00 AM »
Of course, I'll ask the obvious one: did you destroy the iron crown?!?!?!
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• Shadow World Dev
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2013, 12:24:56 PM »
Of course, I'll ask the obvious one: did you destroy the iron crown?!?!?!

LOL, yes we did, though this was right before the Silmarillion came out, so Pete had nothing to go on as far as the Silmarils or what Tolkien had written as the Crown's fate. In the quest, Morgoth was a super powerful lich in an underwater citadel. The main attack group was led by a paladin with a holy sword (so Morgoth's spells were ineffective in the sword radius); Agonar was part of a diversionary team.

I do remember a humorous side story. When the paladin character (who had been apparently playing as a true virtuous paladin for years) finally got his holy sword (which had a very interesting history), and the other players realized what a boon it was, there was a rush of everyone wanting to declare their 'paladinhood,' right down to one player jokingly saying his bird familiar declared his paladinhood and wanted a 'holy feather.' Needless to say, no one else got Paladin powers or swords (or feathers). Ah, good times. But the eastern Middle-earth campaigns were even more fun.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.