Author Topic: First Edition "The Gathering Storm" signed by Robert Jordan! (lol)  (Read 6436 times)

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
So, I decided to pick up the last three books in the Wheel of Time series as I'll eventually get back to finishing the series.  I know it may be disappointing, but I figure I might as well read the rest of them eventually.

So... I go looking for cheap copies of the hardbacks and found one about $10 under the original price.  Interestingly enough it's signed!  What luck.  And post-humus!  Really cool.  I have zomified wheel of time book!

(Robert Jordan died in 2007, the book was published in 2009).

Apparently the publisher used a printed version of his signature (you can see the print lines in the signature).  Anyone else find that a bit... tacky?
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Defendi

• Final Redoubt
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
Re: First Edition "The Gathering Storm" signed by Robert Jordan! (lol)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 10:55:06 PM »
That way if you get Brandon to sign it, you'll have both signatures.  :)
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 11:01:20 PM »
I've got a (real) signed copy of The Eye of the World in my signed books collection, unfortunately it's not the first printing.
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 08:20:03 AM »
  I know that Powell's Books in Portland, OR frequently has author signed books on the shelf mixed with non-signed copies for the same price. For more valuable signed books they have a cabinet with signed books in it as well as a rare book room.
MDC 
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline smug

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 04:21:55 PM »
I don't think that a typical author-signed book is worth much, is it? Authors sign really large numbers of books, as a rule.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 02:39:36 AM »
Generically speaking books don't get much in general really, well, until you get into the 1700's, then they start to have some value.  But a printed signature in a book published after the authors death is worth about as much as a xerox copy.  There's just something wrong with it imo.
- Cory Magel

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 07:04:57 AM »
Agreed - I've got a 1st printing of The Gilded Age by Mark Twain (unfortunately without autograph) and the pricing I was given on it was ridiculously low even though it is nearly 140 years old and the first printing.  It will sit, well-protected, and become the possession of my 1st grandchild (2nd grandchild gets my complete set of Captain America comic books)
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 11:27:49 AM »
I actually once found a man asking for an estimate on a books value.  When I contacted him to let him know what little I knew I found he had an original copy of the King James bible.  He'd received an estimate from a dealer who wanted to buy it and I suspect they low balled it in the hopes of getting it cheap (even though they need to make a profit they gave him a completely unrealistic offer).  Now, it could have been a hoax, but I doubt it as after I told him it was worth way more than he was trying to sell it for (and I couldn't afford what it was really worth) he decided to get a few more estimates.
- Cory Magel

Offline Defendi

• Final Redoubt
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 03:37:29 PM »
Generically speaking books don't get much in general really, well, until you get into the 1700's, then they start to have some value.  But a printed signature in a book published after the authors death is worth about as much as a xerox copy.  There's just something wrong with it imo.

I think that was just to commemorate Jordan.  I don't think there's anything more to it than that.  I have Heinlein books with his signature on the cover (from after his death).  It's just a design aesthetic.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com