Author Topic: Your favorite way of measuring movement  (Read 2407 times)

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Your favorite way of measuring movement
« on: December 04, 2012, 08:23:20 AM »
Just want to see how people like to measure movement during an RPG session. If the two votes thing doesn't get quite what you want, please describe your preference.

Squares make it easier to find where you can go in rectangular rooms, hexes seem to make more sense for movement count when you're using a grid, and tape measures seem to allow the most freedom.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Your favorite way of measuring movement
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
I use hexes when we're using figures (which isn't all that common), but for the most part I don't bother with measuring movement. We'll approximate it on the map when needed (normally when characters are closing for melee). For more modern settings (where range matters more) we tend to be a bit more precise, but even then it's done mainly on game maps (hex or grid, depending) with players indicating their positions directly on the map (makes for interesting city shootouts).
Darn that salt pork!

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 11:30:17 AM »
I like a glass top with a grid underneath for the whole table.
Dry erase markers make everything easier, just keep the glass CLEAN.

We can see exactly where someone is in relation to everything else.
Spell/weapon ranges and effects are easier to visualize. Say the Mage wants to SM a Teleport to 10' rad and save the group? Well you can't get the Ranger because he's over here..
No, the dragon's breath doesn't hit the Thief because he's over there.

In RMFRP, movement can mod other actions. Running up to someone and attacking isn't as efficient as being there at the start of the rnd and attacking. Grids help keep track of the penalty.

We don't use it for everything, but it does keep everyone honest and helps you to remember where you're located.

I confess that I don't always set it up for every tense moment. It's too much of a warning to the players.  ;)
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 11:58:56 AM »
We use a hex grid but also use a measure tape/ruler in other situations (when doing things like using Pre-Fab modeling stuff like Dwarven Forge).
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 12:07:26 PM »
The closest vote I could give would probably be "no preference."  However, even that would still be wrong.  For my worlds I use GIS to measure distances characters have travelled.  I actually define both a geographical coordinate system and a projected coordinate system for my worlds.  I then translate my world map into the GIS and then plot points the characters have travelled on a daily scale.  Then the GIS calculates the distance for me.

Otherwise, I would use a cartisian system  using a mercator equidistant projection grid.

Complicated?  Very.  Time consuming?  Very.  But once defined, the GIS software makes it much easier calculating.

For tactical scale movement, I will use a plain quadrille grid using a 25mm and 5mm scale.  Metric is much easier to use than American.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 09:42:07 PM »
  We use hex and square maps for just about everything. In the past I have used plastic over the maps to keep the square/hex mat very clean ans it is easier to erase the plastic.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline chippermonks

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 11:37:31 PM »
I usually don't do anything too precise. I will often have a white board on which I hand draw symbols for everyone during encounters, but unless i the fight is intended to get difficult/complex (2 archers on the roof tops, whom will jump between roofs every other round, 3 wyrms with breath attacks in the city streets, and a portal to hell which grabs anyone whom gets to close.)

This however has led to some "mathematical errors" such as a foe being 15 feet in the air on a cliff which is 15 feet from the road, and the diagonal line from parties caster to the foe is 15' ........

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 09:47:07 AM »
This however has led to some "mathematical errors" such as a foe being 15 feet in the air on a cliff which is 15 feet from the road, and the diagonal line from parties caster to the foe is 15' ........

Yeah I can see that error since the diagonal would actually be (Sqrt(2)*15) in length.

And to be honest, I have made these errors myself until a player points it out.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 11:33:57 AM »
The closest vote I could give would probably be "no preference."  However, even that would still be wrong.  For my worlds I use GIS to measure distances characters have travelled.  I actually define both a geographical coordinate system and a projected coordinate system for my worlds.  I then translate my world map into the GIS and then plot points the characters have travelled on a daily scale.  Then the GIS calculates the distance for me.

Otherwise, I would use a cartisian system  using a mercator equidistant projection grid.

Complicated?  Very.  Time consuming?  Very.  But once defined, the GIS software makes it much easier calculating.

For tactical scale movement, I will use a plain quadrille grid using a 25mm and 5mm scale.  Metric is much easier to use than American.

rmfr

Cool! I tried once to put the Cyradon map into a GIS (ArcGIS), but I couldn't find how to define the planets' parameters. Can you give me some hint about it?  :)
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 09:53:22 AM »

rmfr

Cool! I tried once to put the Cyradon map into a GIS (ArcGIS), but I couldn't find how to define the planets' parameters. Can you give me some hint about it?  :)

Here is some help.  If you understand ArcGIS, then I am going to assume you already understand about projection files and world files.

Here is an article I wrote and published on my website.

World Files

It also includes a world file calculator.  Once calculated, it lists the information into a textbox where you can select the text, then copy and paste to your favorite text editor.

For an example of my world of Onaviu, here is the world map I used as the basis.

Onaviu Full-Sized Map (7200px by 3600px)

The relevant parameters for Onaviu are:
Equatorial Radius: 8186795.243m
Polar Radius: 8172501.505m

From these two parameters, if listed in the projection file correctly, then the GIS software will automatically calculate the other needed data.  The world file article above also shows how to make ArcMap use the world file for a raster, and how to make QGIS do on-the-fly CRS transformations.

If curious, here are all the parameters for Onaviu that I did calculate.

Since I use QGIS at home, here is the proj4 file text I used to define the projection for the above map.

Code: [Select]
+proj=eqc +lat_ts=0 +lon_0=0 +x_0=0 +y_0=0 +a=8186795.243 +b=8172501.505 +units=m +no_defs

For ArcMap, I simply use the world file I created for the above map

If I were to use an ArcMap projection file, it would look like this for Onaviu.

PROJCS["Onaviu_Equidistant_Cylindrical",
    GEOGCS["GCS_WGS_1984",
        DATUM["D_WGS_1984",
        SPHEROID["WGS_1984",8186795.243,522.753974013]],
    PRIMEM["Tanlindon",0.0],
    UNIT["Degree",0.0174532925199433]],
    PROJECTION["Equidistant_Cylindrical"],
    PARAMETER["False_Easting",0.0],
    PARAMETER["False_Northing",0.0],
    PARAMETER["Central_Meridian",0.0],
    PARAMETER["Standard_Parallel_1",60.0],
    UNIT["Meter",1.0],
    AUTHORITY["ESRI",54002]]

ESPECIAL NOTE: ArcMap is funny about its projection files (*.prj).  They need to be on a single line of text with absolutely no "white space" characters such as carriage returns, line feeds (CRLF), and spaces.  The above is formatted for user friendly reading.  If you were to use it in ArcMap, you need to remove all the CRLFs and spaces.

If you want more examples of projection files made for the other planets and moons in our stellar system, then visit SpatialReference.org and search for such projections made for Mars, Moon, Jupiter, Io, etc.

Let me know if this helps.  If you need more help, let me know.

rmfr

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 12:22:55 PM »
Wow! Thanks a lot, I couldn't ask for more! QGIS seems very interesting.

You made my day.  ;D

There are no "big smile" points, so I'll give you an idea point.

I have some understanding of GIS and projection data. I had to use ShapeLib and Proj4 at work. A lot of work to create a shapefile and make it readable by ArcGIS Explorer (the free viewer from ESRI). Maps are great. :)
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 11:51:13 AM »
If it works and helps, all I need is

Wow! Thanks a lot, I couldn't ask for more! QGIS seems very interesting.

You made my day.  ;D

As with many others here, I am perfectly willing to help, if I can.

rmfr

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 01:11:42 PM »
For an example of my world of Onaviu, here is the world map I used as the basis.

Onaviu Full-Sized Map (7200px by 3600px)

I think I fixed this link from above.  At least it worked for me.

rmfr