Author Topic: 300-strategy in RM?  (Read 4342 times)

Offline Dalewarrior

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: 300-strategy in RM?
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 01:02:29 PM »
Setting aside the film ... you are aware that the "300" only counted the Spartans? The actual army included close to 6000 "slaves" who fought along side the Spartans.

What's your source for this statement? I browsed through Wikipedia and they say Herodotus didn't give the number of the slaves present at the battle of Thermopylae, so it must be someone else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae

Offline mightypawn

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011, 02:11:21 PM »
Hi guys... I use positional advantage all the time in my campaign.  the idea isn't to take on an army, the idea is to limit your enemies opportunities to hit you.  If you enter an area where you are outnumbered.... simply backing up to a choke point is perfect strategy.  If you can hold the chokepoint, your party can maintain numerical superiority to the enemies who are physically able to engage.  This is perfect when dealing with animal inteligence or less, average inteligence will know to "push" through... Hi intelligence will not follow, and even try to find another way to flank.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2011, 03:03:51 PM »
  I also think that the Armsmaster Base Lists in the RMSS/FRP Ment Comp would be of a huge help as the can create barriers for your men to attack through and prevent incoming attacks.
  Maybe even have a magic item that contains the spell you need to defend the area and give you a huge advantage.
  some other things that might help are anything that helps hide your troops; illusions, pits, Armsmaster spell's, flight, etc spells that increase the movement of your troops and things that inhibit the enemies movements or forces them to go where you want them to go; pits, illusions, walls, armsmaster spells, traps, etc.

Does that help?
MDC 
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Faustized

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2011, 05:51:33 AM »
ahahahah

Faustized;
 What is XD?
Thanks
MDC

I think it's an impromptu smiley, like

You are right , and ,now that i notice it,  for this one XD there is no corrisponding smile ... so XD
My very first character is dead falling from the stairs the first time I played ... since then I have not left RM :D

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2011, 08:40:35 AM »
  I also think that the Armsmaster Base Lists in the RMSS/FRP Ment Comp would be of a huge help as the can create barriers for your men to attack through and prevent incoming attacks.
  Maybe even have a magic item that contains the spell you need to defend the area and give you a huge advantage.
  some other things that might help are anything that helps hide your troops; illusions, pits, Armsmaster spell's, flight, etc spells that increase the movement of your troops and things that inhibit the enemies movements or forces them to go where you want them to go; pits, illusions, walls, armsmaster spells, traps, etc.

Does that help?
MDC
I love the Armsmaster. It also has a spell that will allow you to negate advantages that the Spartans had (Choke point ans all that): Rapid Deployment (I+). It allows you to instantly transport a number of your "enlisted" men a specific distance, like Long Door only for your followers. So, you can transport them behind the enemy force. Very cool.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2011, 09:08:58 PM »
RM rules wise, 300 tenth level fighters will be a nasty nut to crack for 30,000 1st level fighters, terrain allowing.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2011, 06:27:08 AM »
RM rules wise, 300 tenth level fighters will be a nasty nut to crack for 30,000 1st level fighters, terrain allowing.
Possibly, but I think that the terrain would have to be seriously against the 1st level army - like it being the castle that blocked the mountain pass in the AD&D adventure, The Sentinel. Forcing the enemy to come at the gate on a 10' wide path, one side of which is a cliff face up, the other side a cliff face down (a few hundred feet). And where a couple score defenders maximum will be fighting at any one time, the rest can be in back-up and resting - because even if you have them at a choke hold, if your guys can't rest, they will get worn down by simple exhaustion until a kitten could practically kill them.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2011, 07:54:02 AM »
AD&D adventure, The Sentinel.
Oops. I meant UK3 The Gauntlet, the second part of the series....Fun series, starts out as a murder mystery. (If I remember right.)

Offline MariusH

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2011, 08:23:48 AM »
30.000 first level fighters... Let's say 20.000 of them use missile weapons. Sure, many will be firing over a distance giving them a severe penalty, and they probably don't have more than 30 or so in OB, but: 20.000 rolls gives 1.000 open-ended. Oh, but the distance penalty, low OB and defenders DB makes sure that's still not enough. But it's also 50 double-openended rolls. I reckon THOSE might do some decent damage.

And in melee: Even if you whack one of the 1st lvl dudes every round, expect at least one or two to be able to get in an attack on you every round. They may need an open-ended roll to get a decent crit (but not double-openended), and even then, it's probably only around 20-25% chance that the crit will take you out. But that still gives them 1-2 % chance of getting a killing blow every round. That means the 300 10th level guys will lose 3-6 people every round - if they are all in melee. Sure, they will be killing off 300 1st lvl guys every round in the start, but as their number diminish, their kills will too, and the army of punies will eventually emerge victorious.

You'll definitely need extremely advantageous terrain to stand a chance against such an army, and even then, it'll be hard. With a fortress, sure. With magic, I guess maybe, but still you'd need decent terrain advantages.
There are three kinds of people: Those who know math, and those who don't

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2011, 08:45:45 AM »
Yeah, I don't think there has a been a general born/made that would believe they could win such a scenario. It would be pretty-much like (I believe) it was for the real "300" - a delaying tactic. With no hope of living, not to mention winning. Barring some very weird circumstances. (Like aliens coming down to harvest the big army for slaves... or a god stopping by to say DIE!  :o)

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2011, 08:49:16 AM »

I quite agree, especially if those 300 were capable of supporting themselves in a dense, ordered formation, which is historically how Spartans fought.

The advantage of numbers matters for little in melee if the defenders are not pushed back by the initial impetus of the charge or out are flanked by the superior force. It then becomes a matter of maintaining discipline, stamina and the willingness to die for a cause or ones honor or ones comrades.

I imagine as soon as the front ranks of persians went down, following persians would be not only trying to avoid being struck by the spartans longer weapons but trying to maintain thier footing whilst avoiding thier own fallen comrades and being buffeted by those who were behind them. True criticals may have due to the sheer mass of attacks... but imagine exactly how many fumbles would happen in such a situation... and it wouldn't just be tripping on an imaginary tortoise.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2011, 09:02:49 AM »
Yeah, I don't think there has a been a general born/made that would believe they could win such a scenario.

Perhaps except for perhaps Alexander the Great. If only the numbers were different but the quality of troops and tactics were the same on both sides I might agree. Generally it is the "belief" of the leader and the troops belief in that leader that allows such things to happen.

"I do not fear an army of lions, if they are led by a lamb.
I do fear an army of sheep, if they are led by a lion."

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2011, 09:06:42 AM »
Yeah, I don't think there has a been a general born/made that would believe they could win such a scenario.

Perhaps except for perhaps Alexander the Great. If only the numbers were different but the quality of troops and tactics were the same on both sides I might agree. Generally it is the "belief" of the leader and the troops belief in that leader that allows such things to happen.

"I do not fear an army of lions, if they are led by a lamb.
I do fear an army of sheep, if they are led by a lion."
Yeah, there is no accounting for psychosis...  ;)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2011, 09:19:07 AM »
  IMHO time for someone to make a War Law game with options from the MAC and/or RMC CC and see just what happens.

One other thing you have to think of is the moral factor, in that when part of your huge army gets repulsed by a much smaller force that should be crushed by almost any attack can be very disheartening and can crush moral. So IMHO (again) it is not just X rolls vs. Y foes and Y rolls vs opponents of Y but some reduced amount of that modified by terrain, formation, moral, training, etc.
  I also think it is a save assumption that the 300 picked a spot where not all of the opposing army could attack or even a majority of them could attack with missile weapons. So you would have a greatly reduced number of attacks before taking into account any weather conditions or other such missile factors.

Again I think it would be a very interesting War Law game to run a number of times and see how many times one side one vs the other side.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2011, 10:19:32 AM »
  Again I think it would be a very interesting War Law game to run a number of times and see how many times one side one vs the other side.
MDC

Hmmm ;)

Morale failure can ruin a generals day...  especially if your army that is mainly composed of levies then sees your elite units getting trounced decides to run rather than fighting. It can also be a little bit of a hinderance when the route of said units rout is directly through the rest of your army.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2011, 11:32:33 AM »
"Because Rincewind knew that when the Four rather small and nasty Horsemen of Panic ride out there is a good job done by Misinformation, Rumor and Gossip, but they are as nothing compared to the fourth Horseman, whose name is Denial."

- Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2011, 10:00:33 AM »
In the end, calling up archers is what did the job, the low hill where the spartans are believed to have made their last stand, metal detectors and ground penetrating radar found a multitude of bronze arrow heads still in the ground, despite the fact that ground had been picked over by memento seekers for 2500 years.

I think the terrain was pretty absurd. . .the defenders did choose it, it was a narrow strip of land along a drop off leading to a turn leading to a pass, with hills to anchor and give the defenders elevated sight-lines on the field. . .which made it hard to mass archers within range, they had to whittle the Spartans down and come around from the far side before they could push them back to the hill, which then allowed the mass of the army to assemble in the area at the base of the hill, bringing that 20,000 archers into range to flood the defenders and end it. . .before they pushed them back, the lay of the ground didn't make it possible to play the obvious card of "Keep them pinned down and bring up ALL the archers." until the end, and then, that ended it.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2011, 03:33:26 PM »
Thermopylae was indeed a narrow bottleneck. The Greeks were defeated in the end because the Persians were able to come through another way (having bribed a local to guide them) and attack from both sides. The Greeks learned this in advance (probably from survivors of what guard was on the other pass) and the Spartans sent most of the others home and stayed themselves to make a last stand. Until that time, there were substantially more than "the 300" there, even without counting the Spartan's helots (communal slaves).

As for archers, they likely would have been largely ineffective in indirect volley fire, as the bulk of the Greek forces would have simply locked shields overhead. Their bronze shields would have been quite sufficient to protect them, except for the occasional very lucky shot. The terrain would also have restricted the effectiveness of archers.

One can't even be sure that any given arrowhead found are from that battle, as there were others fought in the same defensible terrain. Given the importance of archers to Persian tactics, it is probably safe to assume that a fair number of them do originate from the Persian invasion battle.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2011, 10:42:32 AM »
I imagine as soon as the front ranks of persians went down, following persians would be not only trying to avoid being struck by the spartans longer weapons but trying to maintain thier footing whilst avoiding thier own fallen comrades and being buffeted by those who were behind them. True criticals may have due to the sheer mass of attacks... but imagine exactly how many fumbles would happen in such a situation... and it wouldn't just be tripping on an imaginary tortoise.

Quick!  Someone run the numbers: how many imaginary tortoises were present at Thermopylae?

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2011, 01:09:34 PM »

Quick!  Someone run the numbers: how many imaginary tortoises were present at Thermopylae?

I seem to remember some famous Ancient Greek getting killed by a tortoise being dropped on thier head. Does that count?  ;)