Author Topic: A Setting Proposal  (Read 9403 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: A Setting Proposal
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2011, 11:09:01 PM »
Grump Old Fart;
 My races are close to yours but a bit different and I have not really done Orcs yet. But I might take the Tolkien approach and just breed them.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2011, 12:24:57 AM »
Well, if elves are closely relate to humans but more attuned to magic one might expect the orcs to be the flip side of that.  What does it take to thrive in a world with dragons and ogres when magic just isn't your friend?  Perhaps orcs have a culture like ancient Sparta, stoicism is the highest goal and even basic nurturing is discouraged.  Add to that children that are more able and mobile at younger ages and faster maturation and females that are just as robust as males or maybe larger and able to fight when fully pregnant.

Incidentally, I think it might be nice to step away from ogres as a humanoid giant race and make them magical abominations with wide ranging features and powers.  That way the Jinn, ogres, oni and such can all be the same class of beings.  In my own settings I generally do the same with halfings, brownies, leprechauns, and pixies.  Local cultural variants of a single race.

Trolls, on the other hand should be scary.  As craftwise as the dwarves, large as ogres, magical as elves, and brutal as orcs.  A monster race condemned to earth for the affront of rising up against the gods.  Too often trolls and ogres are interchangable.

Giants could be unique magical creatures with strong elemental ties.

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2011, 07:34:21 PM »
An old man and a small boy clambered up the side of a ruin littered hill.  It was mid day and the old man was breathing heavily.  The boy stooped to pick up a curious stone, soft blue cut through with streaks of silver.  The old man snapped “Take nothing away from this place, it’s bewitched.”

The boy looked around at the fallen pillars, graceful and richly colored, “They’re pretty but they’re just rocks,” he laughed back.  “There’s no Ogres or Hungry Ones here, just pretty rocks and bushes.”

“The Hungry Ones and Ogres have too much sense to come here,” the old man growled at the child’s sass.  “The power of the old Empire is still strong here.  Some say their rulers lived forever and were mighty sorcerers, that they were not men at all but magical creatures, fair and fickle.”

“I’m going to live for ever and be a mighty sorcerer too.”  The boy laughed.

“Don’t say that,” warned the elder.  “Never say that here.  They’ll hear and come for you.”

“Who?  There’s nobody here?  Nobody’s been here for almost forever.”

“Not since before I was born.  But when I was young and impudent, my grandfather brought me to this hill and told me how great and strange the towers on this hill were when he was a boy.”

The boy squealed, “Totally forever and ever and ever.”

Shaking his head the old man looked around fearfully.  “I tell you boy,” he said, “they are still alive somewhere and this place is theirs and they are aware of it.”

“Then what happened to them grandpa?  Why did they go?”

“Have you seen the man Oldar in the village?” the old man asked with a smirk.

“Yes, he’s really fat and always eating something.”

“He eats because he is hungry.  Just like some of the old lords grew hungry, never satisfied, unfulfilled and they turned on their fellows like starving wolves.”  the old man shuddered and glanced around at the growing afternoon shadows.  “We should get going, this is a bad place to be come twilight.  Especially for imprudent young scoundrels.”

As the old man set off back down the hill the boy tucked the beautiful stone in his pocket and followed.  Glancing back, the sun gleamed through the fallen stones, and for a moment, it seemed like their shadows were like tall slender men beckoning him.

Suppressing a gasp he trotted down the hill following his grandfather and the shadows, the shadows followed him all the way home.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2011, 08:36:07 PM »
For some reason this reminds me of something I wrote elsewhere:

I can all too easily picture some future party members noticing an otherwise unremarkable rock on someone's mantlepiece...

"Yeah it's a rock from Medicine Wheel, about 20 miles or so off that way."

"Isn't that some sort of ritual power place or something? Is it safe to take rocks from there?"

"Oh I didn't take it from there, it came through the wall."

:o
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2011, 09:01:09 PM »
:D

I guess I'm just trying a different tack on this whole debate.  Sometimes its easy to lose sight of tone in all the discussion of game specifics.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2011, 12:15:17 PM »
Explain the most basic things for the entire world only. Things that couldn't possibly change. One good example...
- Peoples idea of and explanation for magic is GOING to vary, but if you aren't going to leave it up to the people who decide to use the world you should probably at least set it up so that they all have a common basic idea behind them.  The most base origin of Channeling, Essence and Mentalism.  Then there could be multiple forms of how that basic origin gets manipulated.
I like that example, not least because I've been discussing that very question in my own world building process. Just for grins, here's what I have as a 'Thaumatology 101: Fundamentals of Magic' kind of premise:

Magical power is inherent in the shape of the universe, a side effect of quantum theory "many worlds" interpretation. Put in layman's terms, everything that involves a choice creates and destroys entire universes of which you are never aware. If you can hold the reality of that fast disappearing reality that just happened in your mind perfectly enough, power flows from that universe to this one, through you. If it weren't for that, the Law of Conservation of Energy would freeze you solid the first time you tried a fireball.

In short, magical ability is predicated on the ability to precisely define a reality in your head that is independent of the outside universe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychotic_disorder

Psychosis (from the Greek ψυχή "psyche", for mind/soul, and -ωσις "-osis", for abnormal condition) means abnormal condition of the mind, and is a generic psychiatric term for a mental state often described as involving a "loss of contact with reality". People suffering from psychosis are described as psychotic.

Sane people can't cast spells. Duh.

:o

So... if you are a spellcaster, you do begin the game with some form of psychosis, we can decide which one based on your stats. You will never be rid of this psychosis throughout the game. At least you had best hope not, because if you are ever completely "cured", you won't be able to cast spells until you acquire another one.

???

Grump Old Fart;
 My races are close to yours but a bit different and I have not really done Orcs yet. But I might take the Tolkien approach and just breed them.

I suppose you could say I "took the Tolkein approach" with mine. Mine were genetically engineered, or if you prefer, "created through geomancy" by the elves. You know, the guys who were genetically engineered to be terraformers? Yeah, they came up with the idea as something to hunt down and exterminate dwarves. Worked fairly well too, but of course, they went wild, and now they're as much of a problem to everyone else as they ever were to the dwarves.

In all honesty that's probably the biggest stretch in my entire game premise, the idea that these designed-to-be-life-sciences types didn't think through all the consequences of creating a new apex predator.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2011, 03:03:23 PM »
The source of magic (esseance) in my world is the etheral plane, which radiates the energy.  The etheral plane is two dimensional, like a sheet of paper, with "mountains and valleys" across the surface of that paper that pool and fill with various amounts of mana, if you will.

This plane stretches across the mutlverse.  Some places have magic, some dont.  Magic is directing and shaping this mana via force of will/spirit.  The souless cannot weild magic.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2011, 03:51:31 PM »
The important distinction in my rationale is that the caster's insanity is what powers his spells, but his control of that insanity is directly proportional to his control over his spells. So in a practical sense, if they want to be any good they can't be really badly insane (at least not outwardly), but if they want to be able to do it at all they pretty much have to be at least slightly quirky. The more noticeably insane they are, the wider berth you want to give them.

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2011, 01:01:39 PM »
I think tying insanity to magic is probably a bit too setting specific / non generic for the project I'm proposing.

It is an interesting idea, just not particularly generic or core to the Rolemaster rules.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2011, 03:11:02 PM »
I didn't start out that way, I arrived there by trying to explain how magic works the same way despite the various methods of gathering and shaping power. Also keep in mind that 'tying magic to insanity' may be slightly too simplistic, because if you don't have exceptional control of it you're effectively powerless anyway. So you have to be sane through deliberate effort, rather than because your sanity is unchallenged. After all, you challenge your sanity every time you cast a spell. Also, 'insanity' is a term too black-and-white in its connotations to be really useful in game terms. By this standard, Joan of Arc and Gandhi were "insane". They were capable of believing utterly in a reality other than the one that existed before their eyes, even as they kept their eyes open to the reality around them.

All that said, it may still be too non-generic to be useful, I agree. Other than as an example of the kind of agreement that has to be made across all "land grants" and all parts of the setting's timeline. This kind of agreement is what allows the guy who studies magic as if it were a science in one land grant/time period, the religious fanatic in another and the hypnotist in yet a third to all use the same rules, despite the fact that they all have very different explanations for "how do you do that?"

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2011, 04:01:07 PM »
How about a wiki (secured login, of course) to allow authors to choose which continent/hex to choose for their article/adventure, with a summary/overview for the adventure (I.e. Isle has humans and elves working together. A lich has taken residence under the isle and launching undead to kill more villiages for its army)

--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2011, 05:57:17 PM »
An old man and a small boy clambered up the side of a ruin littered hill.  It was mid day and the old man was breathing heavily.  The boy stooped to pick up a curious stone, soft blue cut through with streaks of silver.  The old man snapped “Take nothing away from this place, it’s bewitched.”

The boy looked around at the fallen pillars, graceful and richly colored, “They’re pretty but they’re just rocks,” he laughed back.  “There’s no Ogres or Hungry Ones here, just pretty rocks and bushes.”

“The Hungry Ones and Ogres have too much sense to come here,” the old man growled at the child’s sass.  “The power of the old Empire is still strong here.  Some say their rulers lived forever and were mighty sorcerers, that they were not men at all but magical creatures, fair and fickle.”

“I’m going to live for ever and be a mighty sorcerer too.”  The boy laughed.

“Don’t say that,” warned the elder.  “Never say that here.  They’ll hear and come for you.”

“Who?  There’s nobody here?  Nobody’s been here for almost forever.”

“Not since before I was born.  But when I was young and impudent, my grandfather brought me to this hill and told me how great and strange the towers on this hill were when he was a boy.”

The boy squealed, “Totally forever and ever and ever.”

Shaking his head the old man looked around fearfully.  “I tell you boy,” he said, “they are still alive somewhere and this place is theirs and they are aware of it.”

“Then what happened to them grandpa?  Why did they go?”

“Have you seen the man Oldar in the village?” the old man asked with a smirk.

“Yes, he’s really fat and always eating something.”

“He eats because he is hungry.  Just like some of the old lords grew hungry, never satisfied, unfulfilled and they turned on their fellows like starving wolves.”  the old man shuddered and glanced around at the growing afternoon shadows.  “We should get going, this is a bad place to be come twilight.  Especially for imprudent young scoundrels.”

As the old man set off back down the hill the boy tucked the beautiful stone in his pocket and followed.  Glancing back, the sun gleamed through the fallen stones, and for a moment, it seemed like their shadows were like tall slender men beckoning him.

Suppressing a gasp he trotted down the hill following his grandfather and the shadows, the shadows followed him all the way home.

So did the old man take the boy there because he knew of the shadows? And was offering the shadow his next servant since her was dieing?

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2011, 08:22:25 PM »
No, the old man took the boy to transfer oral history as it had been given to him in his turn.  The old man never took anything from the ruins.  I'm debating whether it's stronger as a vingette or if it would bear a novel.

As far as setting standards.  I propose the core rules of Rolemaster are the standard.  Feel free to introduce local variations like wizards who are mad as hatters but don't tell everyone else that's how magic has to work everywhere, localized mana oddities could even be a feature.  (hmmm, is Mercury or Lead a major component popular in the area?)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2011, 09:15:58 PM »
 I am just saying maybe in the past when he was a boy he did the same as his young charge. So the pattern repeats itself.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2011, 09:41:31 PM »
   The ill favored boy was the only survivor from his village.  As the other children became accustomed to his, hunched, silent form, they ceased to fear him and soon took to tormenting.  They called him Shadow Ridden and delighted in knocking him down and throwing small stones at him when the grownups were not watching.  For their part the adults came to fear and hate the boy as well.  Many had friends and relations in the destroyed village and asked in whispers how it was that he was spared to be found wandering in the burning wreckage among the corpses of people and animals horribly torn as if by beasts but not devoured.
   His only allies were the local priestess and the strange old man who dwelt in a tumble down shack on the edge of the forest.  To the priestess the boy’s strange silence and obedience was a welcome respite from the irreverent chaos of the other children and she delighted in singling him out for special teaching and tasks.  The old man was only grudgingly tolerated by the villagers himself and was grateful for the strange boy’s whispered warnings of planned pranks and vandalism.
   As for the shadow ridden boy, he hungered for companionship and if the priestess’s well intentioned attention brought down the other children’s wrath on him or his friendship with the old outcast brought on dark glances and whispers from the adults, at least he was not alone, swallowed up by the murmuring shadows that clung at his heels alive with memories of his family’s panicked cries of horror and fire.
   For a while it seemed as though this state of affairs would endure.  Over the course of three winters, the boy grew from a sallow wretch to a lanky ghost, pale and haunted by the present as much as the past.  The lives of the village’s humble farming folk were often harsh and brief and the burden of adulthood was mercilessly loaded on half grown youths.  His life became a long and painful blur of muddy fields, weeds, vegetables, grain, and harsh rebukes.
   But there came a day when the lord who lived a day’s journey to the north came to the muddy little village.  He was young, having taken on his father’s mantle a scarce two years earlier, and so handsome in his crimson doublet and jet black hose that many pretty, young girls found themselves locked in the cellar by their fathers.  With the lord came a small army of men at arms and knights in armor, for he was raising the levy to march with him in the service of the king to make war in a distant land for reasons even he could scarcely explain.
   The farmer in who’s hay loft the pale, unwanted youth lived, was not a cruel or unjust man, but his own son, only two years older, was very dear to him and when the cry went up, his choice was easy.  The sheriff who came seeking recruits was presented with the scrawny boy, and while he suspected better material was to be had, the day was late and his feet and back were getting sore, so he clapped the lad on the shoulder and said they’d see to it he’d get up properly.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2011, 12:39:59 AM »
  Nice I like it, it sounds a little like the Deads of Packshinaron (Sp?) that I read in the 80's but the person was a girl. It also reminds me a little of the writings of Kate Elliot. But then a lot of fantasy stories start out the same-ish way ... as they have to.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Athelstaine

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2011, 07:51:57 AM »
  Nice I like it, it sounds a little like the Deads of Packshinaron (Sp?) that I read in the 80's but the person was a girl. It also reminds me a little of the writings of Kate Elliot. But then a lot of fantasy stories start out the same-ish way ... as they have to.

MDC

Deeds of Paksenarrion and the Crown of Stars novels are some of my favorite fantasy works. Liked them so much i named my dog after Paks.

Keep up the writing.I am liking what i am reading.
May i serve in Valhalla, better than i did in life.

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2011, 10:36:30 PM »
Here's a suggestion that would help to explain the various inconsistancies that may arrive.

Before The Beginning
   Not many years ago or perhaps an eternity or never the dark power known as Rotgarth grew so great as to threaten worlds without end.  Its dark fingers crept across planes and realities undermining the very foundations of all creation.  Yet that dread one’s rise did not go unheralded nor unchallenged: heroes fell seeking answers in the growing darkness, heroes fell bringing the dire warning to thousands of dying worlds, heroes fell standing against endless darkness and unbeing, heroes fell taking the fight to the enemy beyond space and time, and heroes fell to save what little remained of hope and light.  The world as it is known today is a patchwork of sundered realms, broken histories, and fading legends.  None now remember the great doom which was averted, the worlds shattered and lost beyond even the void, the scars on the very foundations of all that is, was, or will ever be.  The histories of kingdoms stretch back thousands of years and yet even these may be naught but flickering remembrances that never were.  The world as it is may be a heartbeat or a thousand years old but there are none left to know it.  Even the gods themselves are only aware of the world as a precarious and precious island poised on the brink of oblivion, shielded by the light.  Of all the millions of heroes who stood against darkness, only thirty seven remain, who, having sacrificed all else forever stand guard against the shadow of oblivion, sleeping in the light.

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2011, 03:33:06 AM »
Isn't the hard problem the interaction between hexes?

I mean, there is not much point in sharing a world if the different parts don't tie together. If every hex is self contained and can not make an impact on neighbor parts then they for practical purposes are in different worlds.
/Pa Staav

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2011, 11:05:29 AM »
Sort of like a zoo, with separate honeycomb slots for each "collection" element.

True, if Pastaav has a tranquil late medieval kingdom at peace, and my neighboring hex is hordes of orcs ruled over by an ancient and somewhat mad dragon who has no interest in conquest but sends his goons out on raids aimed purely at loot and destruction, there will likely be issues on the border. . .and Pastaav's hex will either become an militant, fortified hex or be overrun. . .making my ideas swamp his ideas and forcing him to adapt to my situation. . .unless there's a barrier at the border.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com