Author Topic: Magical Shouting for SCSM Bonus or "Mortals, you'll have to please speak up"  (Read 1138 times)

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I'm sure someone has tried this before.

Channelers really benefit from Voice and it helps Essence users too.
If you have a spell that increases the volume of your voice, would you give a commensurate bonus?

Would it matter if the SCSM Chart Voice bonus is just to assist the mental well being/ego/self assuredness of the caster?

Would it matter if the caster is shouting, as per SCSM Chart, but in a magical silence?

Has this come up before? Maybe I asked it. :D
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline ToM

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Would-be barbarian
If you have a spell that increases the volume of your voice, would you give a commensurate bonus?
Yes, seems quite logical to me.
"For no one in this world can you trust, my son. Not men, not women, not beasts. But steel... THIS, you can trust!"

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
Best I can tell, RMSS doesn't have a D&D-style silence spell.  The silence spells in RMSS are of the form (I think): Creates a 5'R into which sound cannot enter or leave.  So, within the 5'R you can be heard.  However, there's no reason that spell-casting is impossible within the radius.  In fact, you can shout your head off within the radius to get SCSM bonuses, without drawing attention to yourself.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
OK, thanks for the responses.

ToM, I'm with you here.
Peter Mork, you're right. Funny that. Never noticed exactly how that worked until now.

Physical Enhancement 6.Sounding does specifically say that it has no effect on spell casting.. I looked it up after I asked. :-[

What if the caster has strep throat, damaged larynx, whatever. If you can only "whisper" and you want to get the shouting bonus, or even "normal voice" what's the difference?
The shouting bonus isn't that much, but it's the mechanics I'm trying to reason out.

I kind of like the idea of casters with megaphones.

So the caster is the only one who has to hear the spell. Then why does voice matter? Unless it's a specific focus (game mechanic) for the caster.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
On the meta side, it's making yourself a target, which you can compensate for per above, or doesn't matter if you're the high priest amid your congregation.

On the in character logic side, to me, it's like going full OB in physical combat. . .when you declare all out gestures and shouted incantations, you're screaming it out, jerking around, doing it fortissimo, putting your full effort into it without restraint. . .
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
   IMHO the shouting aspect is a Focus like a Kiai or other shout in martial arts. Using a spell to amplify your normal voice louder IMHO would have no effect. The shout is a physical manisfation of a mental or spiritual exertion.

MDC 
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
If you whisper the ".....kia(!)....", it may not have the same force. Speaking it into a Mr Microphone ear bud wired to a huge backpack size amp and enormous speakers could help your focus or just startle the opponent.

I'm with you guys and I understand. I might allow it as a House Rule, however. Just to test it out.
Balancing factors:
1. You have to cast the Sounding spell 1st.
   a. Chance of failure
   b. loss of pp
   c. time consuming
2. You're really freaking load now!
   a. Small spaces/close walls require a RR or you stun yourself
   b. everyone can hear you and knows your position
   c. You're stuck with the duration, or you spend a round to end the spell. You can't switch it on and off.

6th lvl Sounding is x3 volume (and 17th lvl Sounding is x5) volume.
A whisper could be turned into a shout. Normal voice could go to shout + and a shout would be a shout ++.
I'll have to play with this one.