Author Topic: Reflect Spell  (Read 871 times)

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
Reflect Spell
« on: August 29, 2010, 03:19:15 PM »
I am wondering about the scaling option Reflect Spell from the Thaumaturge spell Deflect Spell: Does an elemental attack spell aimed at the thaumaturge to be reflected in such a fashion get a resistance roll against the deflect spell spell?
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Reflect Spell
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 03:54:18 PM »
I am wondering about the scaling option Reflect Spell from the Thaumaturge spell Deflect Spell: Does an elemental attack spell aimed at the thaumaturge to be reflected in such a fashion get a resistance roll against the deflect spell spell?

No, no RR is required.

The elemental bolt, is a magically propelled glob of elemental material. It is, at the very least, partially physical  in nature (hence it attacks vs DB, and Shields/Armor can be used to defend against it.

Once released at a target, it is essentially treated as any other type of missile, and the caster has no further influence on it. What that particular spell does is to work against a directed bolt spell in the same manner that other spells of a similar nature work against mundane missiles, or mundane missiles that have been enchanted in some fashion.

What the Reflect Spell scaling option does is essentially just reverse the bolt's direction, sending it back where it came from.  There is some energy loss (i.e. loss of momentum/intertia/etc./however you want to phrase it) which accounts for the reduction of its OB. If you want to think of it in cartoon-y terms, think of the caster basically holding a U shaped tube, with the bolt just going through and reversing direction.