Forum > RMSS/FRP

Todays' Discussion: Invisibility

(1/4) > >>

Luxferre:
Hey!

We are playing RMFR in a homebrewn low-magic world.
So our DM has some extra rules for the use of magic, like special tables for failiures ... so you may catch the attention of benign beings and so on ..
(so far for the premise)

How do you all handle "Invisibility" and spells the like?
Have you houseruled anything?
How can these spells be restricted any further, than being naked? How can "offense actions" be specified?

In our (yes, we all agree at the table) opinion, "Invisibility" is very powerful in the hands of a creative player.

Let me know your thoughts, ideas and opinions on that spell ... and how to handle in low-magic worlds.

P.S.: i will be the only spellcaster in the group, a priest of darkness and night (channeling companion) and we want to skip the two lists "communal ways" and "summons" for two other lists, that fit into the homebrew background. (not to be discussed here  ;D )

jdale:
Any type F spell (i.e., spells that give the target a RR) or elemental attack spell also breaks invisibility. (That's explicit in RMU, but not discussed in RMSS.) Aside from that, pay attention to the rules about detection (invisibility isn't perfect) and also note that some creatures have senses that limit its effectiveness (e.g., dogs may still smell you, and demons have otherworldly vision).

MisterK:
I did not house-ruled anything about invisibility because I didn't need to.

Invisible people can still be detected by non-visual means. They are vulnerable to AoE effects. Dispel works on invisibility. Even the old-fashioned flour cloud works wonder (and rain produces a wonderful fringe effect).

If you add to that the fact that an invisible person who performs an offensive action [any action that would trigger an active or passive defence in the target - physical attack, elemental attack spell, any spell that triggers a RR...] becomes visible, I didn't need to tone it down. It is useful for approach and infiltration for people who are already fairly good at such activities, and provide an element of surprise if the opposing force does not include people who are expecting invisible opponents. I actually had the whole group perform first strikes while under flight, invisibility, and silence. The players loved it because they got the feeling of being powerful. They also knew that they could not do it against elite opposition, because it would be detected and would trigger counter measures.

The mentalism version, however, can be scary in the right context. I had an Enchanter in my last group, and he thankfully agreed to tone the class down a bit.

rdanhenry:

--- Quote from: jdale on July 08, 2023, 10:36:58 AM ---Any type F spell (i.e., spells that give the target a RR) or elemental attack spell also breaks invisibility. (That's explicit in RMU, but not discussed in RMSS.) Aside from that, pay attention to the rules about detection (invisibility isn't perfect) and also note that some creatures have senses that limit its effectiveness (e.g., dogs may still smell you, and demons have otherworldly vision).

--- End quote ---
And human being have ears. And anything you disturb is just as visible as if you were. Honestly, invisibility is an ability of rather limited usefulness. You need open space, a solid surface, and you often still need to be stealthy (now, if you can collapse off the side of a battlefield in what happens to be a safe spot, huzzah, you survive, but you aren't being exactly useful).

Invisibility somewhat reduces your chances of being caught sneaking around, but it also ensures that you aren't going to be able to talk your way out of it. You definitely weren't "just lost", you were sneaking around.

JakeM.:

--- Quote from: rdanhenry on July 08, 2023, 05:27:30 PM ---
--- Quote from: jdale on July 08, 2023, 10:36:58 AM ---Any type F spell (i.e., spells that give the target a RR) or elemental attack spell also breaks invisibility. (That's explicit in RMU, but not discussed in RMSS.) Aside from that, pay attention to the rules about detection (invisibility isn't perfect) and also note that some creatures have senses that limit its effectiveness (e.g., dogs may still smell you, and demons have otherworldly vision).

--- End quote ---
And anything you disturb is just as visible as if you were. You need open space, a solid surface, and you often still need to be stealthy.

Invisibility somewhat reduces your chances of being caught sneaking around.

--- End quote ---

While I agree mostly I have few point.

Normal guards, sentries, etc rely on their eyesight as first and foremost way.
Ears yes but only in otherwise dead silent surroundings, the more backround noise the more irrelevant ears become.
Of course in high fantasy settings some places are magically guarded and thats on altogether different thing.
But if you walk invisible thru some grassy field during a windy day one has to be pretty excellent observer to see grass blades bending under your feet.

Side note: I’d love to see some quality cgi rendering of something invisible wade thought a thigh deep water 🧐👍

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version