Forum > Rolemaster

Race vs. Culture

(1/7) > >>

Marc R:

--- Quote from: pastaav on January 15, 2011, 03:46:24 AM ---If you should apply to large part of the user base then I think you need to stick to the core races. For everyone that think characters with wings is awesome you will find another who hate the idea totally. It very much depend on the campaign/setting what fits.

Actually I also think the question is bit badly phrased. The essential bit is really handling cultures (defined generic ones vs build your own cultures), the race is just one mechanical detail of the culture. Say for instance...what about if you had a random culture generator that let you adjust parameters like degree of combat orientation and then let you roll dice to determine the specifics. A build your own world toolkit that also generated the mechanical aspects of cultures and races?

--- End quote ---

I always considered race to be only the mechanical aspects. . .Culture is totally different. . .I've been in games where the Elves could have stepped out of Tolkien, I've been in games where elves were more like the fey, and broken into Seelie and Unseelie factions at war with each other, I've been in games where the elves were the ruling class of an urban imperial caste society with half elves in the middle and humans at the bottom. . .all the same mechanical elves, but all with different cultural/social behaviors and goals.

Grinnen Baeritt:
I agree, for the most part though I'd say that a Elf with wings or gills ceases to be part of the same race because it is physically different and thus deserves seprate treatment in the rules even though they might share similar cultures. For the same reasoning I'd argue there being a rationale for the Wood/High/Grey/Dark elf splits. Yes, each could be raised in a different culture which might affect their skill base, but most races evolved for specific environments and that should be the primary factor.

Humans on the other hand.... 

Moriarty:
We consider race and culture two sides of the same coin actually. This is obviously not correct in the real world, but for a fantasy game it is very appropiate. We have no need for the rare dwarf that was raised among forest people  ;)

I'm not sure that I even like 'culture' as a game mechanical concept.
'Background' is much more useful term when considering adolecense ranks and such.

GrumpyOldFart:
I think of "cultural ranks" or "adolescent ranks", or whatever label you choose to assign them, as a guideline more than anything else. When dealing with AIs in a SF game I decided that for an AI to have "cultural" or "adolescent" ranks was ludicrous. However it made perfect sense for them to have "operating system" ranks, which are identical in terms of the game mechanics.

Take for example, "Militaristic" cultural background. Militaristic as in medieval Japan, or Roman Empire, or Aztec, or Comanche, or what? You could reasonably expect the 4 examples above to have some fairly stark differences in the skill set that was just "absorbed" by virtue of immersion in the parent culture, could you not?

On the one hand I could see the sense in having half or more of cultural/adolescent ranks be fixed, and the remainder be chosen by the GM and player to work with the player's character concept. On the other hand, I could also see that opening the door for a fair amount of abuse, too, so I can't claim to have a good answer for this one. Other than to suggest that if you have enough confidence in your skill/experience as a GM, then look at the total number of ranks normally assigned to adolescence/culture and assign them yourself to fit the character's backstory.

Cory Magel:

--- Quote from: Moriarty on January 16, 2011, 10:10:35 AM ---We consider race and culture two sides of the same coin actually. This is obviously not correct in the real world, but for a fantasy game it is very appropiate. We have no need for the rare dwarf that was raised among forest people  ;)
--- End quote ---
I want exactly that possibility.  Granted, it's very easy for me to do this myself within the system, but I see no reason why you couldn't separate race from culture.  It's not going to mess anything up to any large extent.

That way you put out a core system that has: Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Hobbits, Gnomes.

Then you put out a largish single book or multiple books that sub-divide each race into sub-races.
Humans: Hillman, Mountain Man, Mariner, Ruralman, Urbanman, Plainsman
Elves: High, Wood, Grey, Underground
Dwarves: Mountain, Hill, Plains
...and so on.

Then you have optional rules for what to do when a Wood Elf is raised by Mountain Dwarves.  i.e. Culture, Background, Adolescence, whatever.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version