Author Topic: BG Option: Loyal Unusual Creature (e.g. Monster)  (Read 1636 times)

Offline foilfodder

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: BG Option: Loyal Unusual Creature (e.g. Monster)
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2023, 10:15:19 AM »
Many posters are focusing on game-balance, keeping players in check, nerfing monster pets.

We have no idea what the rest of the party is like or the story the Gamemaster intends to run with his players. The combat and travel  potential of a full-grown gryphon could be a non-issue depending on other details of the campaign.

Some details were including in a different post.  They will be doing episode like investigations based around a magical academy hidden in the mountains
https://ironcrown.co.uk/ICEforums/index.php?topic=20897.msg243191#msg243191

But not much on party composition, only that they are experienced players with new characters.

Offline pantsorama

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2023, 05:59:32 AM »
At least he doesn't want a werewolf.

That's an easy one. Make it one of his children. And have his child deal with all the social stigma of being a werewolf.

All children are werewolfs

Offline Green Manalishi

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2023, 04:43:41 PM »
Just gotta love the old school mentality of screw over the PC

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2024, 07:28:22 AM »
I dunno about Screw the PC…more like, don’t break the game for everyone else in it.

This is dependent, as said above, on the Campaign’s power level so might not be an issue.  However, Fly/Flight(Teleport) is almost always a game-changer where the GM loses the ability to throw normal travel encounters/roadblocks at the party.

Where possible, GMs need to set expectations for some background options ahead of time on the off-chance a player rolls such rare adds.  It’s not a bad thing to remove power creep from your game before it happens.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2024, 09:53:28 AM »
Just gotta love the old school mentality of screw over the PC
I don't consider it screwing over the PC. I consider it making sure that it's a challenge for the player.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2024, 11:58:32 AM »
I don't consider it screwing over the PC. I consider it making sure that it's a challenge for the player.
As someone whose 85lb mother owned a 170 lb very loyal and quite large dog, I don't think you need more challenge than 'it's very loyal. It also has its own logic about how the world works". For the beast, helping its master is showing loyalty and expecting reward - such as fetching. Now for a fledgeling griffon (or dragon), "fetching" is a bit different from what a human would think of. Next time it comes back with half a sheep, followed by a mob of angry villagers brandishing pitchforks and torches, the PC might realise there are caveats in the contract.
You can imagine hilarious situations that will result in increasingly severe problems for the PC until they realise that a griffon can be an asset when properly trained, housed, fed, and entertained, but is a huge liability on the road except in complete wilderness (and even then, the griffon can still stir up trouble with any monster in the area). Dragons are even worse because they have instinctive obsessions that can be very difficult to accommodate (such as the urge to accumulate treasure in a secure hoard).
Even an intelligent *cat* can be a full load of trouble. And it does not have to be a 30-year chore before the PC can reap benefits. Give them some of the expected benefits at once, and make that an interesting time - interesting enough that the PC is torn between wanting to keep the creature at all costs (because it is adorable, and very loyal, and pretty effective in certain situations) and ready to dump it at the earliest opportunity (because it acts on its instincts, frightens almost everyone who does not know it, ignores the societal order and its laws and rules, and stirs the nearest hornet's nest just because there was something juicy or shiny nearby).
Balance benefits and drawbacks. As the creature gets more powerful, the drawbacks will change or increase naturally, unless the PC really addresses the issue, making for a very different dynamics and either changing the relation (the creature becomes a very loyal occasional ally) or changing the PC lifestyle completely. And the player will be the one to decide how they solve the problem (with a little push from their friends).

But warn the player beforehand. It's not a free ride: you will have to deal with the consequences, including the negative ones.