Author Topic: Artisans  (Read 2614 times)

Offline Masa

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Artisans
« on: April 06, 2009, 12:58:29 PM »
I have been working on automated NPC generation for HARP, and I'm bit confused by the artisan non-adventuring profession from the core rulebook. I don't think the "artistic" skills listed in the profession description (painting, sculpting, etc.) are mentioned elsewhere in the rulebook, and I was wondering if they should be handled as additional skills in the Artistic category or just normal crafts skills? The profession description strongly seems to imply that they are indeed Artistic skills, but I wanted to make sure if this is the correct interpretation.

Offline Karizma

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Artisans
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 01:05:55 PM »
I'm pretty sure they are General-Crafts skills.  In the ICE Common Training Packages free download in the Vault, Merchant also has a "Crafts-Mathematics" that seems really random; I have no idea how to incorporate that into the game.  I think of anything where you have to "create" something a Craft, while the "performance" aspect of it is Artistic.

For example, to write a song you need Craft-Music, but to play it you use Play Instrument-Flute.  If you put it in the context of other crafts it makes some sense; Sculpting and pottery can be very artistic and ornate, but it is still a Craft.