Author Topic: How would you do a Battle Royale?  (Read 2458 times)

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Everything is coming up Milhouse!
How would you do a Battle Royale?
« on: March 31, 2009, 05:45:50 AM »
I have a tournament battle royal lined up and want a way to make this very hard but not so complex in running. The prizes are quite nice so I would like to make sure the players are greatly challenged by it.

The Tournament is just an all out melee with 50 people in a stadium. Last man standing is the winner. There are also consolation prizes for the runner-ups as well.

I have some ideas but for one thing it is a matter of making it somewhat challenging to win. I was thinking I could just have any player participating go up against a random npc or two. If he wins then I roll a random number to see how many other players I have to eliminate. Repeat until done. Or maybe set up a table with 25 options at first and have a random roll to determine which players are eliminated. Or perhaps there is another way someone else may have thought of that I haven't. ;)

Thanks!

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
Re: How would you do a Battle Royale?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 07:14:03 AM »
I've made a little table to handle large and confused fights, I call it the "stray blows" (or something similar, I'm translating it from Italian) chart.

How do you use it?
Each round each character roll 1d100 and add 10.
If he is bigger than most of the people around him (say, a high man among common men) add 5.
If he is really huge compared to people around him (say a troll among men) add another 10.
If he has some distinguishing feature (wears a cool shining armor) add another 5.
Then add the higher between 5 and his (Fate Points)*3.

If the result is 101+ roll on the following chart.

1     Character is hit by someone or something. Receive a random B critical.
2     Character tumbles on something and fall prone.
3-4  Character is hit by someone or something. Receive a random A critical.
5-6  Something hit character on the head! Stunned for 1 round.
7-8  Character tumbles, loose this round attack.
9     Character bump into something and is disoriented. -20 to activity for 1 rnd
0     Something or someone interposes between character and his foe. They're separated and must start a fight with someone else...

The I prepare a set number of enemies (for example 3 for each character) and run them as different encounters, one after another. When PCs defeat all their enemies (or are defeated) the battle ends and I decide who won and who lost.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.