Author Topic: RMC for use with old RM Companions  (Read 5139 times)

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMC for use with old RM Companions
« on: August 22, 2008, 03:49:27 PM »
Sup all!

Well I just got my shipment of RMC hardbound?s!!!!!

I must say these books are SO much better than the older RM Companions.  I think they will "wear" nicely also instead of peeling and fraying like the older paperbacks did.

I wanted to check about a few questions regarding the older rulebooks:

1) There were MANY classes (which I loved by the way) in the RM. Are these older classes compatible with RMC? From what I understand the rules and the books were just given a "face lift" and everything streamlined for the RMC content. Is this correct?

2) Are the Races from older RM compatible with RMC? Like the stats for Aquatic Elves, Half-elf A, B, C, D, E, half-troll, etc?  In the back of RM Companion II I believe there is a list of a HUGE amount of additional races you can play (including a ROCK! no joke!) Are these stats still compatible?

3) Old RM spell lists from the Companions, are these still compatible? (Spells from Spell users companion, Alchemy companion, RM Companions I-VIII?

Just checking because there was some AWESOME content in them!!!!

Also, are their any plans to re-release the content from Companions I-VIII, Spell Users Companion or Alchemy Companion?

Thanks!!!!  :D
Drev
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Offline bottg

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Arion Games
Re: RMC for use with old RM Companions
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 03:55:53 PM »
I can't think of any real reason they couldn't be used, but be aware that some of the professions, races, spells etc are very over balanced. 
I for one use the RM comp I warrior/mage background tables in my RMC game, but i have reduced all of the stat bonuses by 10.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 04:03:19 PM »
Rolemaster Companion I will be reincarnated as a pdf by Guild Companion Publications. It includes RMC spell classifications for its spell lists. I'm doing the updated Table of Contents mapping tonight.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 04:53:36 PM »
Pretty much all of the Companions would be directly compatable with the RMC rules. (Any exceptions would be companion rule options intended to replace RM2 rules, in which case replacements are not conflicts, at least, not really.)

You might run into reference problems like "Per AL 2.1.4" might not help you find the rule it refers to in an RMC book if it doesn't give more info.

The harder to answer question would be "Are the Companion rules compatable to my game?"

I've used almost all of the companion rules at one time or another, but never all at once. . .beyond how many are various replacement plug ins to the same rule spot (where you'd need to pick just one) many of the ideas, professions, spells, creatures or rules work best for certain styles of play, or certain campaigns. . .so you end up picking and choosing them to fit, and/or kicking them off or modifying them for yourself.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 05:25:36 PM »
Rolemaster Companion I will be reincarnated as a pdf by Guild Companion Publications. It includes RMC spell classifications for its spell lists. I'm doing the updated Table of Contents mapping tonight.

Thats great to hear!!!! I loved the old companions!!!

Pretty much all of the Companions would be directly compatable with the RMC rules.

Great! thats pretty much what I needed to know!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 07:48:17 PM »
 I also think that you might want t keep in mind the power creep that tended to come in later companions, which IMO RMC has done a good job of keeping a lid on.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 10:29:14 PM »
1) The only thing to watch for regarding professions (other than power creep, as mentioned in #2 below) is the skills listed. RMC does not have all of the same skills, and some of the optional ones may have different costs (i.e. PPD) if you are using them. Not a big worry, but something to keep in mind.

2) As mentioned by several others - power creep in later Companions may be an issue. This applies to professions, races, and spell lists.

3) When using Spell Lists from Companions, you will need to re-classify spells of the "Passive" type. They were all changed into either Informational or Utility spells.

As others have mentioned, be aware of what options you are using and how they might interact with one another, and with the professions and spell lists you are using.

For example, as mentioned in another thread, the use of a Power Point Development skill can really lower the power level of semis while increasing the power level of pure spell users.

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 05:55:00 PM »

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Any chances of you doing RM Companion 2 as well?
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 09:48:27 PM »

If he can find/contact all of the authors....   ;D

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 05:36:48 AM »

Best wishes,
Nicholas

IF we can find its third author (we've found two of the three), and IF they are all agreeable to reincarnating it, then absolutely.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
 ;D

good news.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 11:58:20 AM »
Sorry no news,
I heard this some time ago.

The hunt for the MAC author demonstrates that it might be nearly impossible.

(Just a pessimistic view to prevent "Murphy".)
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 12:14:05 PM »
Why not just rewrite it with other authors ???
"I'd Rather Be a Rising Ape Than a Fallen Angel"

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 02:38:52 PM »

It would not, indeed could not be, the same book. Or anything like it.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 12:17:13 AM »
I think a re-write, which captures the same feel and zest that the other companions did, would be beautiful indeed.  :D

If the last author can not be found, when does this material enter "public domain"? I am sure that we are coming up on that date, no?  When the material enters public domain cant anyone write about it after that?  I would be hopeful about that!!!!
Drev

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 01:51:03 AM »
Don't hold your breath. Firstly, copyright doesn't even begin to count down to expiring until the author is dead. If we can't find the author, we must assume he's still alive. Then it takes a long time for copyright expire after that. It varies from country to country, but since ICE is located in the USA, they'll have to wait until Disney declares bankruptcy or at least loses enough influence to be unable to get the copyright duration extended again the next time Mickey is in danger.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 04:38:22 AM »
I think a re-write, which captures the same feel and zest that the other companions did, would be beautiful indeed.  :D

Possibly. But the recovered books stream of Guild Companion Publications just like the RM Classic line of ICE is at least partly about giving RM2 folks new copies of their favourite games and supplements so that they can retire their battered originals before they fall apart.

If the last author can not be found, when does this material enter "public domain"? I am sure that we are coming up on that date, no?  When the material enters public domain cant anyone write about it after that?  I would be hopeful about that!!!!
Drev

Copyright under the Berne Convention is a minimum of lifetime of author plus fifty years; in the EU and the USA, the term is lifetime plus seventy years. As R. Dan Henry notes above, it is probable that there will be efforts on behalf of corporate America to extend the term further in due course.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Fenrhyl Wulfson

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 05:54:07 AM »

One of the gripe people had about the companions was that it soon turned into a mess. I am not sure it would be a good idea tio produce new material and load a book with it regardless any form of organization.

I believe the way followed by RMSS/FRP (each companion is dedicated to a specific aspect of the game) is the way to follow for new material. I was pretty pleased with combat companion myself and WILL use it with RMSS after a bit of conversion work.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 03:04:43 PM »
 I think one canhope as the RMC/2 line comes back out that a wayword author or two might pop back to the site and give there ok for a rewrite.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 03:00:36 PM »
If the missing author cannot be found why not go with what you have got. This would especially be the case with the later companions which had even more authors. Get permission for what you can and then put this in a new "Companion". If the missing stuff is so fundamental then that could be completely redone down the track.
And when one dreams dark dreams dark days shall follow