Author Topic: Pure Essence Users and ESF Rules  (Read 2076 times)

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Pure Essence Users and ESF Rules
« on: August 11, 2008, 11:54:52 PM »
From Spell Law page 34:

None of these (ESF) options may be used when casting with a spell adder, or from an imbedded spell item.

In Combat Companion, soft leather boots are listed as having an ESF Mod of (-1).  This book also says that a heavy cloth robe and soft leather boots are the new version of the old "Armor Type 2".

Let's say I have a magician with a +1 Essence Spell Adder....do these rules mean he has to kick off his shoes to cast a spell through the spell adder?  :o
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Pure Essence Users and ESF Rules
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 12:14:19 AM »
No, it means you cannot use the item to provide the pp for casting a higher level spell than you are normally able to cast.  You cannot increase the level of attack with extra pp when using an item, which I have never seen.

For exapmle, a +1 spell adder lets you cast one spell a day with no pp.  So you cant leant a list to level 10 and cast the level 10 spell with the adder through esf.  You could just cast the spell with esf if the PC has the pp to try it...I do not recommend it if you like the character at all.

Also, with the boots on, all esf sufers an additional -1.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 06:07:45 AM »
Yammahoper is essentially correct.

The intention of that line is to stop characters from using Spell Adders and such to cast spells that they normally could not cast without ESF. Spells above the caster's level, spells not normally learnable, etc.

Our intention (cannot speak to the intentions of the original developers) was not to prevent their use due to wearing armor, and certainly not when using the Armor by the Piece rules from Combat Companion.

Even when using spell devices, you have to make a roll, thus the mods from armor, helm, and equipment carried would all be applied to the casting roll when using such devices, while ESF mods for the spell being of a higher level than the character would prevent the use of  spell device altogether.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 07:22:35 AM »
Gotcha.  Thanks.  I knew I had to be mis-understanding something.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"