Author Topic: New skills for RMC  (Read 2593 times)

Offline Trond

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
New skills for RMC
« on: July 29, 2008, 06:24:45 PM »
Being encouraged by the RMC suggestion to make new skills that fit your individual campaigns, I came up with some ideas for new skills for RMC that will fill in some holes in the skill system, and perhaps bring RMC closer to RMFRP.

I. a General Moving Maneuver skill that covers all moving maneuvers not covered by any other specific skill. I figured it could be developed with the same costs as the climbing skill.

II. I would also like to introduce a General Social Skill (or 'social skills skill if you like  ;D) This gives you a bonus for any social activity requiring a roll that is not covered by other skills. I think it should cost the same as the seduction skill. (by the way, the seduction skill is so general in its description that it is almost a general social skill already. I will retain it as a more specialized 'seducing the opposite sex' kind of skill ;))

So far so good, but here's the tricky part. I am wondering if it's a good idea to let there be a considerable overlap between these 'general' skills and the respective more specialized skills. For instance, I am thinking about ruling something like this: for every two ranks developed in the general moving maneuver skill you get one free rank in every other moving maneuver skill, such as climbing, acrobatics etc. The same will be true for the general social skill and , perhaps, a general crafts skill, melee skill etc. I think this idea may have been suggested in a RM companion.

I realize that characters will develop a lot more ranks this way, but maybe that's a good thing? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: New skills for RMC
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 11:58:50 PM »
 I play mostly RMSS but IMO the idea that you have an uber "skill" can be unbalancing, even if it just covers the things that other skills do not. But in any case I think you should run some test games to see how it works. Or even create a few PC's and see the effect it has on skills and DP.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 06:18:43 PM »

For instance, I am thinking about ruling something like this: for every two ranks developed in the general moving maneuver skill you get one free rank in every other moving maneuver skill, such as climbing, acrobatics etc. The same will be true for the general social skill and , perhaps, a general crafts skill, melee skill etc. I think this idea may have been suggested in a RM companion.

What about the old way to go: Similar skills.
But now adapted to a General Skill (or a kind of unlearnable category skill).

The PC learns the special skills and for general purpose the PC has half rank in the general skill.
This is half rank of the skill with the most ranks in that group.

Acrobatics gives a moving knowledge for Dancing.
Public speaking gives social awareness for Seduction.
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline Trond

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 08:30:17 PM »
The PC learns the special skills and for general purpose the PC has half rank in the general skill.
This is half rank of the skill with the most ranks in that group.

Acrobatics gives a moving knowledge for Dancing.
Public speaking gives social awareness for Seduction.

This sounds very familiar. Is it from a RM companion? I don't have all my old RM books with me (I'm from Norway, but currently living in Canada)

So, for instance, if your climbing skill is your highest moving maneuver skill, you get half this rank in the General Moving Maneuver skill (as defined above). I was hoping for an easier way for the characters to develop their General skills (not to be confused with the general skills section in RMC, oops), but I have to admit it's not a bad idea at all. How many such skill groups are there according to this optional rule?

Offline jps

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 09:45:22 PM »
The default skill is a valid way to go.

A second option would be inspired by RMFRP. RMFRP uses skill categories so we don't have to worry about characters not having a specific skill because he would have the parent category and therefore a default score. The way it works is quite simple and could easely be adapted to RMC: you have to rise a skill and a category to enjoy the full bonus. For instance Acrobatics is an "Athletic Gymnastics" skill. The 10 first levels when you rise Acrobatics you gain a +3 per rank and when you rise "Athletics Gymnastics" you gain a +2 per rank. Thus once you spent ten ranks in the category and the skill you have 10x2 (for the category) + 10x 3 (for the skill). Your skill would have a +50 modifier total. Let's say you you have to climb up a cliff but don't have the climbing skill (which is also an Athletic Gymnatics skill) your default score would be 10x2 (your category modifier) -15 (since you have no rank at all in the skill being tested).

Back to RMC would you like to follow RMFRP's system it would be quite simple, just consider a similar skill and assert the player would had raise the dependent category by the same number of ranks (if he put 10 ranks in Climbing consider that he would had put 10 ranks in the climbing skill category had he used RMFRP). The default score is thus:  number of ranks x 2 minus 15 plus stat modifiers.

That way you grossly find out the default skill he would have using RMFRP.

There are different ways to solve your problem but I wouldn't introduce "super-skills" for I agree it would, imo, unbalance the game.

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 05:59:39 AM »

This sounds very familiar. Is it from a RM companion? I don't have all my old RM books with me (I'm from Norway, but currently living in Canada)

Of course it is an optional rule in the old CHLaw:
Optional rule 13.11 regards similiar weapons.
If someone learns to use a broadsword she knows how to use another type of sword.
The same with riding different type of animals (13.12).

It was "perfected" in RoCo II with similiarities of 1/2 ... 1/8.
Of course the grade of similiarities are up to the GM.
___

For RMC there was a pdf by ... dutch206 (?)
which gives the RMC skill costs in the RMFRP categories

It was called RMC_Categorized_Skill_Development_Table.pdf.
I couldn't find it, perhaps it wasn't allowed for download because of IP reasons.

With it (or RoCo II or RMSS/FRP categories) as a guideline you could create a general skill which is learned automatically or just give each skill the derived ranks ...

edit:

I just recognized that the similiar weapon rule and the similiar animal rule is in RMC.
Option 12.1/12.2 (p.79) and option 13 for Riding (p.81).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 06:08:47 AM by Dax, Reason: added RMC options »
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline Trond

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 09:15:43 AM »
Thanks, Dax! Gosh it's been too long since I flipped through my old RM2 books (they are in a shelf in my parents' house with strict instructions not to throw). I still think my optional rule above may work, as long as everyone is aware that a few 'general' skills will be used more often than the specialized ones.

The option of using 'general skills' according to the similar skills rules is perhaps better for people who don't want too many changes to their game. That's why I may try this first ;D. If these skills are impossible to develop separately, it's probably wise to set them apart on the character sheet so they are not mixed in with the others. One question: according to the optional rule in RM2, how do you develop a skill that is similar to one you already have? Say, if you have ten ranks in broadsword, and you want to develop shortsword. Do you start with five ranks? If this is the case, then it's wise to do some planning before starting to develop ranks.

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 10:51:26 AM »
One question: according to the optional rule in RM2, how do you develop a skill that is similar to one you already have? Say, if you have ten ranks in broadsword, and you want to develop shortsword. Do you start with five ranks? If this is the case, then it's wise to do some planning before starting to develop ranks.

That is a trick question, isn't it ?  ;)

The RM we all know (and of course love) have options for any taste  8)
One option explains that the similiar skill ranks are just counted for the higher bonus, another that the similiar skill ranks are learned.

One option even takes an addition route:
total skill ranks = normal skill ranks + any similiar skill ranks * appropriate factor.

(RoCo II  4.1  p.15)
___

I would go with the ranks from similiar skills are learned. So if someone has 12 ranks in short bow s/he has 6 (or better 8 ?) ranks in long bow, and learning from there if the PC changes missile weapon.
__

BTW It is a good idea to note your kind of general skills on a separate char sheet.
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline Trond

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 02:58:50 PM »
Wow, thanks!
I hereby nominate Dax as the official rules-guru ;D.
I'll let you know if I have any more questions. ;)