Author Topic: RM2 RMC III Magical Ritual - Foci creation - spell level?  (Read 2279 times)

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
RM2 RMC III Magical Ritual - Foci creation - spell level?
« on: July 25, 2008, 05:23:30 PM »

Has anyone dealt with Foci creation for RMC III's version of magical ritual? If so, what level spell effect was required? (I figure from there I can figure the construction time per the Alchemist's 1 week per level.) An equivalent to a General I or General II spell?

Regards,
Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RM2 RMC III Magical Ritual - Foci creation - spell level?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 07:20:22 AM »
IMHO, the level of the effect is equal to the level of the ritual celebrant.  However, since a ritual focus created by a fifth level character is just as strong as a ritual focus created by a fiftieth level character,  this would penalize high level characters.

I would say one week is a good amount of time for creating the base item for a ritual focus item.  (Unless it calls for rare/unusual materials or something)
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 08:05:36 AM »
IMHO, the level of the effect is equal to the level of the ritual celebrant.  However, since a ritual focus created by a fifth level character is just as strong as a ritual focus created by a fiftieth level character,  this would penalize high level characters.

Yep, didn't make sense to me to scale the ritual per the caster level. Hence something like a General I spell made more sense, especially if an Alchemist was hired...

I would say one week is a good amount of time for creating the base item for a ritual focus item.  (Unless it calls for rare/unusual materials or something)

Am thinking perhaps to separate the ritual foci construction from the binding to the caster? (1 week for the first, 1 ritual for the 2nd?) Or perhaps just overthinking the entire thing...

Thanks,
Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline Fornitus

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Frequently Deceased
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 05:09:00 AM »
 Missed this thread somehow.  :P

My wifes Arcaine Demonoligist uses the Create Foci spell at 10th lvl on Ritual Mastery in the Spell Users Comp. pg 87. ;D
 Also talks about making the Foci for more than one type of Ritual.
CUTHLU FOR PRESIDENT!!
WHY CHOSE A LESSER EVIL?

or did we?

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 08:04:11 PM »
For a generic (low powered) foci, I'd likely go with the "General" spells, as those seemed to be used for anything at all.

If you really wanted to limit the exchange of foci, you could tie them to the person. . .game a while back, the GM used this rule for not only foci, but for things like PP multipliers. (Something along the lines of a week of ritual and fasting to tie the item to the user.)

For foci that offer major benefit, I usually made them hard to get, almost impossible to buy.

i.e. if a Dragon tooth athane was a good foci, an athane made from the tooth of the mightiest dragon of yore than offered signifigant bonus to rituals, you'd need to get your hands on in some way other than buying or making it. (it's either a signifigant treasure item, or something the party finds out about and quests for to obtain.)
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com