Author Topic: Are you a klutz? Try a battleaxe!  (Read 2536 times)

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Are you a klutz? Try a battleaxe!
« on: July 23, 2008, 07:11:41 PM »
This is not a complaint, I just think its rather funny.  I just wanted to double check on it before I devote the time and energy to a good chuckle.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that it is not possible to die by a fumble while using a battleaxe, two-handed sword, spear, or halbard, but darnit if you can't do yourself in with one slip of a tiny little dagger.  Even trying to throw that dagger presnets the very real threat of stabbing one's self in the heart.

Yeah, I know it would probably be easier to "fall" on a dagger than it would the business end of a halbard, but if you look at it at the right angle...it's pretty freakin' hilarious.  ;D
A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Re: Are you a klutz? Try a battleaxe!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 08:11:46 PM »
is true. . .and I've had enough close calls with a splitting axe to know that it's indeed possible to get a nice clean shot off on our foot/lower leg by accident.

almost all axe related accidental injuries I've seen have been "Moron decided to walk directly behind the guy with the axe and got hit on the wind up."

OTOH I can say it does seem pretty unlikely that you'd hurt yourself that way with a pike or spear.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 12:57:52 AM »
 You could get a splinter from the pike or spear.

But I think the main this is that in the act of trying to hurt others you can really hurt yourself or your friends.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 06:19:25 AM »
is true. . .and I've had enough close calls with a splitting axe to know that it's indeed possible to get a nice clean shot off on our foot/lower leg by accident.

almost all axe related accidental injuries I've seen have been "Moron decided to walk directly behind the guy with the axe and got hit on the wind up."

OTOH I can say it does seem pretty unlikely that you'd hurt yourself that way with a pike or spear.

Yeah, I mean, I can see it for weapons like spears and other polearms.  The idea is to have the pointy end as far away from you in the first place anyway.  The purpose there is to keep the other guy at least at the same distance as the pointy end, but it also means it's less likely to hurt you as it is to hurt the other guy.  This leaves the only likely injury to be pulled or strained muscles or, more likely, tripping over your own feet.

The battlaxe is a little harder to swallow, though.  I don't think it would be that much harder to hurt yourself with a battleaxe than it would a longsword.  I guess in the method in which you're using it maybe it would be tougher.

Don't get me wrong.  It's not a huge flaw and I'm certainly not going to do the usual RPG-complainer route and tag onto that one little nuance and claim it's reason the entire system is trash.  I just thought it was funny and a potential source of giggles in an adventure.
"Sir I exist!"
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 10:03:35 AM »
Battleaxe is hard to hit yourself with. . .try on one of the other 2HD weapons. . .I'd say a flail is potentially just as dangerous to the weilder as the target. (Unlike the BA the free floating ball and chain  could probably hit you just about anywhere on an "Oops")

I hear where you're coming from, and definitely agree, mostly in terms of the 2HD weapons.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 11:07:21 AM »
Battleaxe is hard to hit yourself with. . .try on one of the other 2HD weapons. . .I'd say a flail is potentially just as dangerous to the weilder as the target. (Unlike the BA the free floating ball and chain  could probably hit you just about anywhere on an "Oops")

I hear where you're coming from, and definitely agree, mostly in terms of the 2HD weapons.

Oh, I didn't even think of flails!  Now THAT's funny.  ;D
"Sir I exist!"
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain