Author Topic: Shadow World and SM2  (Read 3892 times)

Offline international1

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Shadow World and SM2
« on: March 28, 2008, 04:03:04 PM »
I am trying to figure out where the Kingdom from SM2, The Kingdom of Klavada exists on Shadow World???

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Shadow World and SM2
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 11:03:49 PM »
I am currently running a SW game and have read the Master Atlas (more than one version, actually) and have not even heard of the Kingdom of Klavada - not even in the eastern hemisphere. And as one of the players is a Trans-XII from the Spacemaster 2 setting (not SM:P) I have read a bit of that as well and have not come across it there either. Are you sure it is part of Kulthea (of SW) or the Terran Empire (of SM2)?
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 04:16:23 AM »
Me neither, but if it from SM2, maybe it isn't on Shadow World or at least not on that Shadow World that the Shadow World setting presents. Ages have changed and borders also.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline international1

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 01:51:02 PM »
I have read that Ceril VII in SM2 is actually Shadow World.  The one adventure in the House Devon book on Ceril VII mentions the Kingdom of Klavada as the people Devon is working with.  I read the SW atlas as well and I can't find it.  I am just trying to confirm.

Offline Alten

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 01:54:19 PM »
From what I gathered a long time ago from Terry Amthor, Ceril VII is definitely Kulthea, but "sloppy editing" meant that there were discrepancies between its appearances in SM and the Shadow World products. As such, SM info is not "canon," although it can be adapted with little trouble.
As you wish...

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 04:36:22 AM »
From what I gathered a long time ago from Terry Amthor, Ceril VII is definitely Kulthea, but "sloppy editing" meant that there were discrepancies between its appearances in SM and the Shadow World products. As such, SM info is not "canon," although it can be adapted with little trouble.

Not only sloppy editing, but other considerations : at that time Shadow World wasn't really more than a concept with 3adventure books (- The World of Vog Mur, Iron Wind, Cloudlords of Tanara -) and everything about was quite foggy ( go read the description of Kulthea in one of these, you'll see  ;) ).

Just thinking of the adventure ( the Starmistress of Ceril VII ) andthe fact that the player characters lands and lift back from the world, while it is well known that it's something impossible with Terran Technology. ( and quite tricky with K'Ta'Viiri tech) is a nice proof that there are discrepancies.
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 02:20:14 AM »
Well, it can't be too impossible, because in other Shadow World products, it is clearly mentioned that the Dia Khovaria have spies on Kulthea.  (Church of the Word)
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline international1

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 01:13:35 PM »
I completely missed the point about being beyond Terran Tech...landing and lifting back off the world??

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 05:55:53 PM »
I alwaya assumed the Dia Khovaria found a portal and have kept it secret.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 12:54:26 AM »
I'll have to clarify a bit my statement,

The Essaence create huge disturbances in electronic equipments.
As such, it's a nearly impossible task land a ship on Kulthea in one piece. An even if you managed to land in one piece, lifting off back to space is going to be at least as tricky as the landing was...
All that applies if you're sane enough to :
- do your landing/lifting off on a day where there's no Essaence storm anywhere on the planet.
- do your landing/lifting off at the farthest spot from an Essaence flow or focus you can find.
- do your landing/lifting off on the western hemisphere.

Any other circumstance will lead to a crash landing ( at best ) with a fried ship/shuttle that will not move unless it goes through major repair work or just a nice explosion at high altitude ( at worst ).

And that's not even counting the Starmada that has made the Kulthean system it's harbour that will need to be deceived one way or another before you can even think of getting near the planet. ( After all the Kulthean system is under Quarantine rating 10+ )

Unless you put your hands on some K'Ta'Viiri ship as I suspect the Dia Khovaria did. Then getting through a starmada without being seen is a piece of cake ( cloaking is great ), and landing on Kulthea is not going to be more difficult ( unless you hit a freak Essaence Storm. ).
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...