Author Topic: Crashing  (Read 4311 times)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Crashing
« on: February 14, 2008, 10:18:10 PM »
I could not find rules covering vehicle crashes - like what crits do you roll on the occupants, how much damage does the ship take, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Crashing
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 12:45:39 AM »
So. No one crashes?!?
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 01:32:34 PM »
If/when such a situation comes up, I would play it by ear.

In a car, crush crits would be appropriate.  Perhaps even a secondary unbalance crit.  High speed collision?  Maybe impact.

In a space ship at relatavistic speeds?  Sorry, your just dead.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
    • ICE Roleplaying WebRing
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 01:54:25 PM »
Have you got access to a copy of RMSS Pulp Adventures?  It has some rules for Vehicle chases and crashes include a Crash Table (similar to a Critical Table).  Unfortunately I believe that is one of the RMSS books that isn't available as a pdf right now, but it is still available as a physical book from the ICE store.
Brent Knorr...
Ringmaster:ICE Roleplaying Webring - http://www.icewebring.com

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
    • ICE Roleplaying WebRing
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 02:11:57 PM »
Digging through some old books, in the old Star Strike book it had rules for Ramming.  I would think you could consider a Crash to be equivalent to a successful Ram.
" If a ram is successful both the ramming vessel and the target receive a Projectile attack resolved on the Projectile Attack Table 19.1.  The Maximum Result Threshold is determined by the size of the smallest vessel"

I think you could do something similar, using the Autocannon/Projectile Attack Table from the Vehicle Manual
Brent Knorr...
Ringmaster:ICE Roleplaying Webring - http://www.icewebring.com

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 03:11:27 AM »
I do have Pulp Adventures and will check it out. Do not have Star Stike (anymore) so can't look there.

In a space ship at relatavistic speeds?  Sorry, your just dead.

What do you mean, I'm dead? We were only going 72.6523% lightspeed for cryin' out loud! It's not like we were FTL or anything.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 12:16:04 PM »
OK, so I looked through Pulp adventures and other books but came up with very little. The Pulp book had good rules on conducting chases of different types which could be usefull. The main (Spacemaster: Privateers) book had a limited section on vehicular combat, good for slugging it out, with some of the crits mentioning crew damage (mostly when they all die  :flame:) - but very little and very limited.

I would love to see tables dealing with 2 things:

Vehicular Crashes - With rules for using the piloting check to affect the severity of the crash (A, B, C, D, & E).

Occupant Effects - How the crash affects the occupants, what type and severity of critical they take, most would be impact and crush, while some might be piercing or even slash - depending upon the debris. Heck, with some bad (but not really bad) crashes they could take more than one critical.

I would just think that a game that prides itself on it creative tables (and RM/SM does love its tables, so do I) this would be basic. Maybe this could be part of the next DataNet?

Oh well, ad-lib time.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 01:34:50 PM »
Beyond Brent's suggestions, you can try a doc in the vault:

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item468

Speed to falling attack conversions.

Using that, you can turn any collision into a fall/crush attack. . .

Now, applying that result to a vehicle might require another conversion to get the scale right.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 09:48:56 PM »
 One comment I wanted to add sice I have been rereading the rules from AA, SS and SM:P VM; is that in the SM2 books it is assumed that you are not using your MSA [Max sub light Acceleration] engines during the attack. At least this is what I remember now away from my books. So when you try and use the rules fro SM:P the numbers/chart would be off as in SM:P you are in general going at much faster speeds. IN essence your shipo becomes the projectile in a large gun or you are a self propelled missile.

That said I still think the rules in SM2 are very helpful and almost enough a reason to by SS and AA. But I also like the ruels from both products for ship to ship and vehicle to vehicle combat very much.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 10:09:17 PM »
SPAM Vehicle Manual has the Vehicular Maeuvers/Astrogation Table.  Bad rolls yield crash results. For example: on the Ground Vehicle's column with a -201 you take an E Krush and the vehicle takes a E Blast.

There are modifiers to the piloting roll based on the vehicle type and conditions including but not exclusive to speed.  The speed aspect could have been made more important IMO.

The aircraft and spacecraft columns are a bit less brutal.  Though getting a piloting roll to avoid spreading your plane over 50 acres isn't exactly kind.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 11:40:32 PM »
Using that, you can turn any collision into a fall/crush attack. . .

To use it you would have to understand it. And to understand it would take more math than I got (or want).  ;D

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 10:03:02 AM »
Can always poke the author, since they're a board member:

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=profile;u=238

and ask for an explaination.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Kirth Gersen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thanx for any reply or remark given.
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 07:29:10 PM »
Thanx LM for letting me know that someone needs info on this.
I have been very busy with lots of things and haven't been around for way too long.

The main table in this spreadsheet shows at which speed you would hit the earth when falling from the given distance.
It is calculated with some formulas I found on the internet (same formula on different sites so I gues they are correct).
It is based on the earth's gravity which isn't a constant, but a range depending on altitude; something between 9.72 to 9.81 meters per second (or 318 and 321 feet per round).

If you search for the speed at which something travels in the correct column (Ft/Sec, Ft/Round, m/sec, km/hr or Mile/hr) you can find what would be the equivalent distance that object should be falling from to hit the earth at about the same speed. This distance can than be used on the fall/crush table using the normal falling rules.

e.g. a car traveling at 50 mph hitting a wall would be about the same as falling from a height of 80 or 90 feet (48,9 or 51,9 mph).
This gives you some handle and you should modify this for the situation (seatbelt, airbag, pointy things sticking out of the wall, wall gives in and only slows the vehicle, etc.).

I have used it initially for a characters using the forcemage's fly spell (lvl * 3 mph). They didn't know how fast to gain some skill in flying to get some control.  ;)
Extremely powerfull list; e.g. using 8-Transport at 8th level to move up to 8 cu' up to 80 pounds of rubble (or diamonds, gp's) at 24 mph towards a large creature or group of creatures. Now try this at 15th lvl at 45 mph.  :o
I would not recommand this list for any but the most heroic campaigns with people who don't care too much about balance (cause it's fun).
It's the quality and not the quantity of the posts that count.

Playing & GM-ing RM2 since the 80's.