Author Topic: PREORDER MADNESS!  (Read 5935 times)

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
PREORDER MADNESS!
« on: November 15, 2007, 03:12:25 PM »
All right.  You guys have been with me since the beginning.  You were the first people to read my press release, the first to follow my dev journals, the first to see the previews.

So I'm only announcing this here until next week.

I've put up the preorder page site on my store.  I want you all to get to order first, partly because you are my best customers, partly because I trust you to be patient if we hit any bumps and have to alter orders, or fix mischarges, or revoke and redo orders and the like (this isn't RPGNow, so I can fix things the moment I know there's a problem.)

So, if you want print products, order now.  Go to www.finalredoubt.com/store.  Click on the Print PREORDERS.  Charges to paypal go through immediately.  The store doesn't have a way to delay payment.

So, here it is.  Order away.  The next weeks will be exciting, and may help determine the future course of the company.

I'll be online another three hours or so, then I'll check tonight and be on all tomorrow to troubleshoot problems.  During the weekend I'll be spotty on customer service, but I'll be back on about half of Monday and then full on next week.

Here's how it's going to happen.

I've just placed an order with ICE to cover any international orders that might come in (although we may be close to offering Paperbacks on lulu, we'll know next week).  The preorder page gives you an update on whether or not international orders can ship in time for Christmas.  If we run out, I'll update that page.

On the first of December, I'll place an additional order with the printers to the tune of double our orders at that point.  Barring a shipping or printing disaster or me getting hit by a comet or something, I'll begin shipping international orders ten business days before Christmas and domestic orders by the 13th (the day the post office told me was the last day for media mail to make it).

I'm confident that things are moving forward smoothly.  The first test print went wonderfully.  We made some changes, but other than an omission I made on the cover, I'd sell those copies and feel pretty good about them.

So there it is.  Enjoy.  Order soon and order often.  Don't forget about other people.  Let's open with a bang.  The spice must flow.  (Wait, no.  That's Dune.)
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
Re: PREORDER MADNESS!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 03:13:40 PM »
All preorders will be autographed at no extra charge.  If you DON'T want them autographed, drop me a PM after making an order.  I may not have comments fields in all the books.

Offline Grafton

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 06:43:17 PM »
I only see the first product Echoes of Heaven/Throne of the Gods listed for preorder. Will the other 3 products be offered for preorder as well or only the first one for now?

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 06:46:41 PM »
I don't want to offer something for preorder until it's ready.  You never know how long pagemaking some books will take.

Expect preorders to open a month to a month and a half before release (I would have gone longer on this one if not for christmas).  My absolute ideal is to run preorders for a month then shut down orders for two weeks while I get books and ship, then reopen as normal orders.

Offline Grafton

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 07:34:40 PM »
Understood. There was talk of including RMC stats. Did that happen for the print version or is this the original RMFRP version?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 07:56:40 PM »
 Good luck in the new venture and I hope it doe well.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 09:03:31 PM »
Yeah, Grafton, all the changes I mentioned in that one thread have already made it into the book.

Thanks Mark.  I've put so much energy into it, it's no surprise I'm a little frazzled right now.  :)

Offline Grafton

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 01:22:29 AM »
My order is in for the first Echoes of Heaven book, plus a few things I haven't picked up yet.

In response to your email, I already have the pdf for Lost Kingdom of Dwarves. I was looking for hard copy to support you, but I see now only the first book+adventure are available with more (hopefully) to come.

Problem? (not sure): The www.finalredoubt.com link does not have the preorder list, but I think that's because you offered it here first. When I click on the "Store" tab it only shows pdfs.

Suggestion: ICE has a good way of breaking down what to order - you may want to do the same. You don't have the variety of material right now but you do if its broken into products - base EoH book, adventures, beastiary, Campaign Cartographer 3 material, etc. Or organize by game system (maybe better option? for tracking purposes.)

The covers, while pretty, clutter the screen for me. But then I'm wanting the product...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 01:29:59 AM by Grafton »

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 08:26:26 AM »
In response to your email, I already have the pdf for Lost Kingdom of Dwarves. I was looking for hard copy to support you, but I see now only the first book+adventure are available with more (hopefully) to come.

It will depend on sales.  It's starting slow, so we'll have to see.  Getting one of these ready for press takes a lot of time and the first order and test copies cost a good bit of money.  We aren't far enough in for me to worry that it's slow, though.  I'm happy to wait and see.

Problem? (not sure): The www.finalredoubt.com link does not have the preorder list, but I think that's because you offered it here first. When I click on the "Store" tab it only shows pdfs.

It goes to the ALL PDFs page by default now.  I'll look into changing that when I get to the official announcement this week.

Suggestion: ICE has a good way of breaking down what to order - you may want to do the same. You don't have the variety of material right now but you do if its broken into products - base EoH book, adventures, beastiary, Campaign Cartographer 3 material, etc. Or organize by game system (maybe better option? for tracking purposes.)

They are oganized by game system, on the right.  I'll think about how to open into a start page, though.  Thanks for the feedback.

Offline Raf Blutaxt

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'm rather axecentric
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 05:29:08 PM »
I wonder why I didn't see this earlier.
Anyway I preordered it now.

I hope you will get enough preorders and sales that there will be print copies of the other products as well. 
Before the gods of hell sentence you to die
remember well my friend a warlord never cries.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 05:48:45 PM »
Thank you.  I hope with you about enough sales for other print products.  :)  The future of the company is in print copies.  E-publishing isn't a particularly profitable business.  :)

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 02:29:41 AM »
Hi,

Just wanted to preorder the HARP Hardcover, but to be honest, the cost of shipping is simply too much for one book ($25, making a total of about $70 for one book).

So I will order when a cheaper solution is available (f.e. during my next US trip).

BR
Juergen

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 03:08:47 AM »
I'll announce if I can get a good lulu solution.

Offline Raf Blutaxt

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'm rather axecentric
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 06:05:13 AM »
Well, the shipping costs might be  a reason why preorders from overseas might be a bit slow.
On the other hand at the moment 70 $ is less than 50 ? which is what you pay for some campaign settings  in shops around here.

But I must admit that I was a bit shocked when I first read 25 $.

Anyway I thought I'd  preorder one even if I can't read it myself because it looks good on the shelf and it's nice to have a print copy at the gaming table. 
Before the gods of hell sentence you to die
remember well my friend a warlord never cries.

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 06:26:44 AM »
I'll announce if I can get a good lulu solution.

Please no lulu solution, I'd prefer something more solid.

(just a joke I couldn't resist, "Lulu" in Austrian is the same as "Harn" in German, i.e. "urinary" in English).

BR
Juergen