Author Topic: SM Setting  (Read 6035 times)

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
SM Setting
« on: October 12, 2007, 08:08:59 AM »
Been reading in my Shadow World Atlas which made me curious about Spacemaster. Is there a setting for SpaceMaster and is it the same as Privateers?
"I'd Rather Be a Rising Ape Than a Fallen Angel"

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: SM Setting
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 08:47:13 AM »
There is a setting for SpaceMaster (which is the same universe Shadow World is in) but it is different then Privateers.     I can't speak to the Privateers setting (I own all the books but have not read them), but I like the old SM setting.

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 09:33:35 PM »
Anyone have an idea of what kind of setting Privateers is? Is it Space Opera, hard sci-fi. More similar to Traveler than Starwars? Doesnt say much under the description "Set in the tumultuous Privateers universe, this is a unique setting designed especially for Spacemaster"

Also are the rules for SpaceMaster the same (with dif professions) as RM?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 09:41:58 PM »
SM2 was a Dune like setting.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 03:02:50 AM »
The Privateers setting was created especially for for SM:P which runs on a rule set similar to RMSS. The player races in it are somewhat Space Opera but everything else is Hard Scifi.

I dont know traveller though, but in this you have two forces butting heads. You have an alliance based around earth trying to fend of an invasion from a huge empire, but Earth is losing. Which is why they started the Privateers project. The players are part of a crew or is the crew of one of these privateer ships and have to make a hassel for the Empire through different types of missions.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 07:32:14 AM »
Just more info;

SM2 was an Empire setting, indeed very Dune or Star Wars like.  With very few aliens, it was also very Foundation like.  Very Political with fueding houses and corperations all under the rule of the Emperor.

Privateers is a bit more Star Treck really.  It assumes the Ancients seeded planets with genetic stock, resulting in the six races, 4 mammal, one insect and one reptile.  The races are scattered throughout the galaxy and often primative ancestors exist on those other worlds (on earth, all but the oorts do, which must have gone extinct sometime ago).  What exactly the ancients were trying to do is unknown and a field of worthy scientific exploration (and was the bases of my first adventure).

The setting is written up for humans and oorts to have met first in space and formed a union (which would become the ISC, a loose confederation of cooperative worlds).  They established a program for "gearing up" other human and oort worlds.  In time, other discovered species were included, and after much debate I might add.

A military coup leads to the forming of the Joronian Empire, which launches a war against the ISC.  This is were the game picks up.  The ISC is bigger, has better tech in general, wealthier with a much better developed economic base, but the attack caught them totally off guard and only now are they unitingand racing to build fleets and armies. 

The players are assumed to be Privateers, spacers with writs of piracy essentially to attack Joronan shipping.  Privateers also join in on official military mission and even fleet actions.  The setting is rife with adventure possibilities, even if the players don't want to be Privateers.

hope that helps.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 07:44:42 AM »
It sure does, thanks for the info :)

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 08:44:08 AM »
The datanets have some adventure outlines to show you what kind of adventures *I* do with the setting.  :)
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 03:43:44 PM »
Aw, common buddy, we never meant to leave out the games designer and writer.

I'd play in one of your games anytime budster.  I'll even bring some local made beef stick and Bells Beer, maybe even a sixpack of Mad Hatter from the Holland Brewery.  It is a seasonal pumpkin beer.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 04:07:08 PM »
Didn't mean to imply you did.  :)

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 05:40:55 PM »
There is a setting for SpaceMaster (which is the same universe Shadow World is in) but it is different then Privateers.     I can't speak to the Privateers setting (I own all the books but have not read them), but I like the old SM setting.

Wait...Shadow World is in the same universe as SM2's setting?  I didn't know that!  How so?  (never read anything about Shadow World...but I might now  ;))
A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2007, 05:49:11 PM »
Kulthea is called Ceryl VII in Human Space, in one of the more powerful Houses of the Empire.  The planet is quaranteed with an Emperial Fleet assigned to patrol it and keep visitors out.

In the SM2 setting, artifacs that can enhance psionic abilities cannot be made, but are relics from ancients.  They are called Sinharborsomethingorothernet.  One reson for the quarantee is Ciryl VII is surounded by a force field of incredible magnitude.

lynn

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2007, 05:59:52 PM »
Yeah, Andrax carries a laser pistol, IIRC.  There are imperial survey teams and abandoned stations lying around too, again if IIRC.

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2007, 06:54:38 PM »
That is wicked cool!  Are these links talked about in the Shadow World books, SM books, or both (which one?)?
A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2007, 09:43:26 PM »
Most of the info about SW in SM is put together from hints and sentences droped in a variety of modules, most for SM, some for SW.

Andrax also has a power sword!

lynn

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2007, 04:11:58 AM »
The timeline in the SW Atlas has some mentioning of it as well. Otherwise there are small sci-fi stuff which sneaks in (an android in Sel Kai, laser pistols, etc).

This forcefield around Ceryl VII is that generated by the Eyes?

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2007, 07:33:42 AM »
Yes, the eyes generate the forcefield.

lynn

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2007, 03:47:51 PM »
That is wicked cool!  Are these links talked about in the Shadow World books, SM books, or both (which one?)?

Yeah!    The sci-fi tech part of SW is one of the things that attracted me in the first place - I capitalize on it quite a bit in my own campaigns.   Even had a trans-human (genetically engineered) as a player once, he had all sorts of toys and a laptop!      This was way before Patrick in the Shadowstone Chronicles but was a very similar character.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 08:55:55 PM »
Yuck.  Keep your Sci-Fi out of my Fantasy.  Dragons and Laser Swords?  Puhleeeze.  ::)

I am one of those die hard "never the twain shall meet" people.  I like sci-fi, and I like fanasy, but I dislike fusion campaigns. 

Except for "Dark Space".  That was kind of a Call of Cthulu meets Star Wars setting for RM 2.  I thoght that setting was the coolest thing since sliced bread.  (Mainly because I could use the Pirathons to eliminate any tech items I disliked)
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2007, 08:51:38 AM »
SW is definitely not a fusion setting.   There are elements of sci-fi in it, but it is lost technology.   First and foremost, SW is fantasy - it just has a sci-fi in the world background.    PC's do not run around with technology.    Many GM's ignore the sci-fi historical elements anyway, which is easy because it's secondary to the setting.