Author Topic: Exhaustion  (Read 4155 times)

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Exhaustion
« on: August 03, 2007, 12:39:36 AM »
*Blue Moon induced rant. Don't take too seriously; just wanted to talk.*
Does anyone use exhaustion rules...?

Wouldn't these fit well into the Psychic rules instead of the heart bursting refractory period? I know the game was balanced with Rolemaster magic in mind, but there isn't any (Rolemaster magic).
If you are barely standing against a wall and have to make a roll to do anything other than breathe... you sound pretty exhausted.

After running the 26 miles from Marathon to Athens to announce the outcome of Greek vs. Persians, the man said, "Nike" and died! That is exhaustion.
It should (imho) always be easier to do something physically than with psychics. I could walk across the room and pick up the small object. I could walk across the room on stilts and pick up the small object. I could walk across the room-on my hands-and pick up the object with my toes! Or, I could use psychokinesis and sit right here while I concentrate on the object coming to me!!
All of the above seem like increasing levels of exhaustion. Most of us,  just don't really know those levels of mental exhaustion (scholastic finals, black belt exam, arguing logic with your spouse)

Why use an added level of difficulty- another game mechanic/rule to   cover up an already existing game mechanic? Unless no one uses exhaustion.

It could be a multiplier (or power) to concentration(6/rnd)...
(Level - Rank) * 6/rnd etc... or   (6/rnd)^(Level - Rank)

Again; just thinking things through. I love the game!
It just seems that this rule has kind'a been covered.

Respectfully-Providence13.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Exhaustion
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 05:17:48 PM »
I don't think I've *ever* used Exhaustion in either RM or SM (though I did adopt the PowerPoint expendature tires you out option in RMC3 I think) as I've always thought the rules for exhaustion were rather clumsy. The only system I've liked exhaustion rules for would be the HERO system with Endurance.

In combat, eh, we just play that no one gets exhausted and you can fight as long as their is an opponent. Mind you, works both ways (the baddies don't get exhausted either). Out of combat, if a player needs to do any kind of maneuver and they've been running or are tired for whatever reason, I increase the difficulty due to exhaustion. For example, the thief sprints a few blocks down a road then tries to pick a Hard lock to escape the pursuing guards. Normally a Hard maneuver, but due to Sprinting and the pressure of the Guards, it's Very Hard -10.

-shnar

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 06:11:18 PM »
I rarely use ext pts, and then only for a brief moment, like figuring out how long the PC can jog before fatigue sets

in, or for a penalty when a PC dashes in combat, and I wanna see the look on his face during the declaration

phase of the next melee round...  :laugh1:

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 05:36:13 PM »
Generally unless they want to go at a fast run for several rounds or make a mad dash, the exhaustion rules don't come up much.  Personally it would make sense to have an optional rule for exhaustion from spell casting and psi as that's appropriate to many settings.  The only issue is that spell casters and psionics get a little bit of a freebie for not having to buy mind and power points anymore.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 12:04:54 AM »
O.K.
Thanks for the replies.
So, I guess the question is does anyone use "refractory period" for psychics? (seems a bit heavy-handed and complex)

After looking over the Xat NPC in the datanet... something like 7th level and a ton of ranks... But being 7th lvl he can't do anything above rank 3-4 or be out for a couple of rounds. No, not just out but worse than "Rolemaster stunned in melee out!" Stun with heart attack and brain fry!

So, in RM, you must protect the spellcaster before the spell and in SpaM:P protect them after the "spell." ??? No other peoples are "nerfed" this much. It seems the only reason to have a bunch of ranks is to boost successfulness of underpowered abilities.
"Hey TK, aren't you rated at lifting 100 kg?" "Yeah, but without a crashcart and defibrilator by my side, I never go above 10kg!"

mmmm defibril implant....cybernetic heart....mmmmm
(Do psychics turn into technomages? Hey GM can I get a strong cyber heart as my bonus equipment...)
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 02:19:59 AM »
I use that simply to keep the psychics on par with everyone else. it reminds me a little of shadowruns casting system, which to me seems like a good and "natural" way to do it
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 12:05:18 AM »
So, really, does anyone use refractory period?'
This is important to my understanding of SpaM!
There are rules and then there are rules people use.

Offline Zwilnik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ahrenreth fanboy
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 04:27:23 PM »
I use exhaustion rules rarely, since average PCs are usually built to take combats and short-term runs without even sweating. When they are medivacing a wounded comrade on their shoulders without bothering to remove his combat armor, or try running in a bog, that's when it's time to dig out the exhaustion rules. They are a condiment; used sparingly they make player despair tastier.

On psychic refraction periods.
I switched from the old SM2 preparation round system to refraction rounds and haven't regretted it yet. Players can now react to situations that crop up suddenly instead of gazing at their navel for two rounds before stunning a foe. Deciding on the level of power is a gamble for the players, though. They have to decide if risking refractory-induced incapacitation is worth dealing with one problem, since another problem is usually just around the corner.
The core rules are a bit harsh on low-level psis, IMHO, so I use the optional rules that allow use of powers during refraction or maintenance. We haven't yet decided what penalties work best with the campaing power balance, but currently any activation during refraction suffers that rounds refraction penalty, and activation during maintenance gets a flat -20 on activating a new power. It's possible to maintain several powers at the same time, but players rarely do this, since they a) run out of points and b) don't have the time to buff up since activating multiple maintained powers rapidly is suicide because of refraction penalties.

Thus far the system has worked. It allows players to use low-level powers like short-term paralyzation, or to set up complicated plots (if they have the MP) when they have time. I must admit that I like fine-tuning the system with house rules, and that sometimes the house rules fail spectacularly.  :P
-- Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow your GM may finally start enforcing encumbrance and fatigue rules.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 06:14:52 PM »
Matt and I, the SM GM's, both use refractory.  We like it.

Matt introduced some soft tech that reduces refrac penalties or eliminates one or two rounds of refrac.  Only the psi corps in his game have legal access to these surgical mods and bio implants.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 07:51:48 PM »
I use RFP and it is core to the game to distiguish between magic and Psi.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.