Author Topic: Rolemaster Standards  (Read 7349 times)

Offline Tiruvor

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • tiruvor.com
Rolemaster Standards
« on: November 26, 2006, 06:00:40 PM »
Hi fellow gamers (I'm not new, you might know me from the old board),

I am in the process of designing an online character-platform. The main goal of Version 1.0 would be a web-based character gallery, where gamers and GMs can post and browse characters. (Version 2 would feature some kind of forums/dice tools to support web-based roleplaying). If you are some kind of marketing person, feel free to insert buzz-words like Web 2.0 and "user generated content"...

The application will be written in PHP and if interest exists, the source could be released under an open source license (but probably not the GPL, unless I use GPLed-Code), and start with the support of RMSS (as this version is the one we play)

But back to the present. Currently I am thinking about some standards. So far, I found the XML-Character specification of Nash (http://nash.nu/Rolemaster/XML/rmsscharacter/). It makes a good impression and my group's favourite sheet (J. Dale's) seems to be able to export such documents (I did not take a look at it yet).

So I would like to know, if I should support other standards (if they exist) for characters or other aspects of the System you think are worth checking out.

And if something similar exists, then please stop me and give me that link ;)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 06:04:09 PM by Tiruvor »

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
Re: Rolemaster Standards
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 07:24:26 PM »
There is a group of guys doing something similar - check the other threads ... they would welcome an extra pair of hands !!!

Offline Tiruvor

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • tiruvor.com
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 08:24:25 AM »
I took a look at the other threads but I have the impression, that the projects are either for HARP or inactive, or to which group are you referring?

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 03:36:41 PM »
I have XML schemas, and stylesheet's for RM attack and critical charts. (DTD and XSL files).  There is no real standard for these charts because no one distributes charts, but if there ever is a reason to do so....

I recall coming across a Spell List DTD.   That would be quite useful I think, as you could generate a new spell list using that DTD and distribute it.   An XSL sheet can allow easy viewing.

Offline Tiruvor

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • tiruvor.com
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 06:40:57 AM »
Nash has specs for Spell Lists and Races, too.

I would then use his documents as reference and be compatible to them in my import/export interfaces.

Maybe all rolemaster developers could(should?) decide upon a representation standard of these Rolemaster/RPG concepts?

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 11:22:00 AM »
Does any fairly standard schema exist for RM2... right now I have need of such a thing.  I'd rather write the xml export of my current unnamed project to a standard format than create one.  I am just creating the mechanics of my export now, If there is a character record schema for any RM character that I could adapt that would be sweet.
Grad School, it's like slave labour, but without the job satisfaction or high social status.

Offline Tiruvor

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • tiruvor.com
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 06:56:29 AM »
I would suggest to port the existing spec from nash (link above)

He announced a RM2 version, but the site has not been updated for a while...

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 09:36:26 AM »
That link does not work for me... anyone else have an alternate location?
Grad School, it's like slave labour, but without the job satisfaction or high social status.

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 10:54:13 AM »
There is a HARP XML schema here with a RM skill set here:

http://www.boisdechet.org/harpxml/index.php

The things that I don't like about it is that it relies on an external file to store skill names... etc... this means that the format is utterly dependant on one program.  (me no like)

I was thinking of a more flexible format that stored all character information and that way a program just takes what it needs rather than needing to store a database and recalculate everything.  That way those who don't want calced values don't use them and those that don't want to calc values (thinking about kLoOge, OpenRPG, etc...) don't have to.

Offline Mando

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Conversion HARP - Terre du Milieu
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 12:19:52 PM »
Below is the structure I am using for HARP spells.

This structure is basic on purpose and could be used for programming, data storage, etc.

I have also done a structure for H&S criticals (data for all tables already entered) if some are interested.

Code: [Select]
<harp_spells>
        <spell>
                <name>Arcane Bolt</name>
                <pp_cost>2</pp_cost>
                <range>50'</range>
                <duration>-</duration>
                <spell_type>Attack</spell_type>
                <rr>Magic</rr>
                <sphere_list>
                        <sphere>Universal</sphere>
                </sphere_list>
                <description>When cast, this spell sends a bolt of blazing magical energy to strike the target. This bolt of energy does 1d10 points of damage to the foe if he fails his Resistance Roll.</description>
                <scaling_options>
                        <scaling>
                                <scaling_description>Increase Damage (each 1d10 hits - 5d6 max)</scaling_description>
                                <scaling_cost>+2 PP</scaling_cost>
                        </scaling>
                        <scaling>
                                <scaling_description>Stunning Force (per round of Stun)</scaling_description>
                                <scaling_cost>+4 PP</scaling_cost>
                        </scaling>
                        <scaling>
                                <scaling_description>Increase Range (per +50')</scaling_description>
                                <scaling_cost>+1 PP</scaling_cost>
                        </scaling>
                        <scaling>
                                <scaling_description>Increase Targets (each additional target)</scaling_description>
                                <scaling_cost>+4 PP</scaling_cost>
                        </scaling>
                </scaling_options>
                <source>HARP Core Book</source>
        </spell>
</harp_spells>

.:| Fred, aka Mando |:.

Communauté francophone des joueurs de Jeux de Rôles ICE : Iceland

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 01:30:25 PM »
I like Mando's approach better because it does not assume knowledge on the part of the receiving program.  (ie no codes for names and all values outlined)

I have looked at the RMSS version of J Dales spreadsheet and seen his xml export which appears to be based on the one at the URL I can't access.  So I am adapting that as best I can within the limits of RM2/C.  (ignoring Training Packages for example... adding background options and the like)

Offline Tiruvor

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • tiruvor.com
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 05:29:52 PM »
I've uploaded a copy of the character dtd:

http://www.plagis.de/upload/rmsscharacter.dtd

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006, 06:21:29 PM »
Thanks I appreciate it.... I ended up using one slightly modified but structurally similar.  There were more fields I wanted to export and the skills don't have the same category system.

Offline Globulin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2006, 12:34:58 PM »
Unseen Servant has a variety of XML schemas, including characters, races, spells, training packages and skills. It's pretty good, but has some difficulty handling special cases, especially in the training packages.

I'd definitely like to see a standard, as there's some work I want to do in this area, but am not willing to put in the time until I know that it will be compatible with work that others do.
"Less dice, more rules"

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
    • ICE Roleplaying WebRing
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2006, 05:07:46 PM »
That link does not work for me... anyone else have an alternate location?

You could try the direct link:
http://www.nash.nu/Rolemaster/XML/rmsscharacter/rmsscharacter.dtd
Brent Knorr...
Ringmaster:ICE Roleplaying Webring - http://www.icewebring.com

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 03:58:21 PM »
I'm onboard. A ways back I started writing a desktop application for RM2 (see http://www.jediwars.com/RMEC/) that saved all its data in XML files. I was trying to design so that every piece of data was configurable. There was going to be an XML file for your SpellLists, Skills, Stats, Races, Languages, Professions, etc. Then there'd be a separate XML file for your "campaign" which combined everything, and a separate file for each "character". I was going to try to have available all the chargen options from the various Companions and then you would indicate which rules were used in your campaign, effectively enabling/disabling various features of the app.

I've been itching to pick this back up, but been thinking about writing it in Flex instead of Delphi (well, since I need some experience in Flex), but the client app doesn't really matter. What's important is how the files are created. I'd very much like to have the XML files follow a community-agreed standard. This would be for RM2/RMC though, not RMSS.

Has anyone pieced together a group for determining Schemas? I'd be willing to donate my time as well as some xmlDraft licenses (xmlDraft, the Smart XSD Editor http://www.sysonyx.com/xml-schema-editor) if it'd make creating the schemas any easier (I'd prefer to not use DTDs).

-shnar
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 04:05:33 PM by shnar, Reason: fixed URL »

Offline hjj589

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 02:51:04 AM »
Hi fellow gamers (I'm not new, you might know me from the old board),

I am in the process of designing an online character-platform. The main goal of Version 1.0 would be a web-based character gallery, where gamers and GMs can post and browse characters. (Version 2 would feature some kind of forums/dice tools to support web-based roleplaying). If you are some kind of marketing person, feel free to insert buzz-words like Web 2.0 and "user generated content"...

The application will be written in PHP and if interest exists, the source could be released under an open source license (but probably not the GPL, unless I use GPLed-Code), and start with the support of RMSS (as this version is the one we play)

But back to the present. Currently I am thinking about some standards. So far, I found the XML-Character specification of Nash (http://nash.nu/Rolemaster/XML/rmsscharacter/). It makes a good impression and my group's favourite sheet (J. Dale's) seems to be able to export such documents (I did not take a look at it yet).

So I would like to know, if I should support other standards (if they exist) for characters or other aspects of the System you think are worth checking out.

And if something similar exists, then please stop me and give me that link ;)

Yes, i will ,i think it will give me a wonderful experience.