Author Topic: Elves races & cultural backgrounds  (Read 946 times)

Offline Syssiah

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World Addict
Elves races & cultural backgrounds
« on: May 08, 2023, 07:00:21 AM »
Hi!

I recently discovered the interesting descriptions of the "Races of the Underground", and I wondered if such work had been done about the 4 races of elves that inhabit Kulthea somehow ?
I'd love to assemble as much information as possible on elves. Where should I look at please ?

Offline Falconer

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Elves races & cultural backgrounds
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2023, 08:29:34 AM »
I think this is what you are looking for:

Races & Cultures
DriveThruRPG
ICE Webring

Other resources; you are probably aware of most of these:

Shadow World Master Atlas, 3rd Edition
DriveThruRPG
ICE Webring

Shadow World Master Atlas, 4th Edition
DriveThruRPG
ICE Webring

Shadow World Player Guide
DriveThruRPG
ICE Webring

Express Additions #5
ICE Webring

HARPer’s Bazaar #9
ICE Webring

Offline Syssiah

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World Addict
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 09:55:55 AM »
Thanks alot ! :)

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2023, 12:37:39 PM »
Hi!

I recently discovered the interesting descriptions of the "Races of the Underground", and I wondered if such work had been done about the 4 races of elves that inhabit Kulthea somehow ?
I'd love to assemble as much information as possible on elves. Where should I look at please ?
Just as a side note, there are actually five races of elves on Kulthea - Linaeri, Loari, Dyari, Erlini and Shuluri.

Offline Syssiah

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World Addict
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2023, 03:11:13 PM »
Yes !

And I'm interested in knowing more about each of those sub races of elves cultures.
Like whicjh elves live in Sel-Kai, and what are their specifics cultural points, fashion, prejudice, and so on...

From the Atlas I only get very generic informations alas

Offline cdcooley

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2023, 08:39:23 PM »
You'll find members of every race in Sel-Kai including all of the types of Elves but their cultural traits will be defined more by their role in the city than by their race. You should be thinking of the Elves of Kulthea in roughly the same way you do the the Mannish races, their cultural traits vary depending on where they live. Each race has its own strengths, weaknesses, preferences, and biases but they are scattered in communities all around the world. And there are very few places you'll find a culture dominated by the Elves. They tend to live in very small groups within other cultures.

Emer Atlas I has a description of a Dyari culture in Skystone.
Emer Atlas II has a description of a Loari culture in Námar-Tol.
Emer Altas III has a description of a Shuluri culture in Malqanar.
Emer Atlas IV (if it gets published) should have a description of a Linæri culture in Lys.
Erlini communities are scattered all over the globe but tend to be very small or ruled by one of the other Elven groups. The stereotypical "wood elf" would apply to most of those.

One interesting thing to note is that even the larger communities formed and dominated by Linæri, Loari, or Dyari always have Erlini and mortal races in far larger numbers. There just aren't enough "High Elves" to form one exclusively of their own race. Being immortal they don't seem to have the same instinct to procreate or are possibly very infertile.

Offline Syssiah

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World Addict
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2023, 10:22:41 PM »
Again thanks alot !