Author Topic: Healer Spells?  (Read 2147 times)

Offline HawksNut

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Go Hawks!!
Healer Spells?
« on: September 04, 2015, 02:24:12 PM »
To the GM's out there.

How do you play the Healer?

Does the Healer take the damage from a PC on to their body like an Empath and then use their spells to remove the damage from themselves? or

Does the Healer use their spells to take the damage from a wounded or hurt PC then they recover naturally?

If the later then a PC Healer would not be much use after the first major damage is transfered to their body.

I am interested in your thoughts?

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Healer Spells?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 02:54:06 PM »
The Healer takes the damage onto themselves and the spells start from that point. The transfer is the type of wound in-which a spell level can take care of x 2 (Spell and Transfer of wound).  Such as Bleed 1 ht / rd can be transferred for the cost of 2 (1 for clot 1 and the transfer cost of a level 1 spell). Although once transferred you could use a higher level spell to take care of the wound such as a cut repair I spell.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 10:59:02 PM »
A Healer takes the damage onto themself, and then heals that damage using the various other spells available to them. I'm not sure why you would even contemplate your second option, where the healer has the 1st level spell Transfer and apparently no other spells from their base lists....?
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 12:17:15 PM »
All Healer class characters know the "Transferring ways" list. I don't make them develop it. They must cast the appropriate transfer spell first, at whatever the cost of the spell they are healing the wound. After that they must use the healing spell...and no swapping the healing spell after the transfer spell. The only way to swap the healing spell is if it is LESSER than the transfer spell, never higher, or they must recast the transfer spell.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Offline Pazuzu

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 01:31:13 PM »
I've always ran it as empathic healing, where the healer would take the wounds upon themselves and then heal the wounds using their base lists.

My favorite healer doubled as a beserker/fighter. Through judicious selection of talents, he was able to wield a war mattock (his one weapon) effectively, wear breastplates, and frenzy thanks to the healer's bonus to self control skills. He would wade into the melee and heal any damage he managed to sustain thanks to the healer base lists being subconscious.

The drawback of course was that being frenzied tended to hamper his ability to notice that his teammates might need some healing too. But it sure was fun.

A less aggressive healer would likely still be the MVP of the group. They would also tend to level up faster than most due to the constant spell casting and other skill checks that go along with the profession.

Offline HawksNut

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Go Hawks!!
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 03:10:09 PM »
I've always ran it as empathic healing, where the healer would take the wounds upon themselves and then heal the wounds using their base lists.

That is how I have been playing the character too.

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 10:42:39 PM »
He would wade into the melee and heal any damage he managed to sustain thanks to the healer base lists being subconscious.

Not sure that's how subconscious spells work.  I always thought they were subconscious AFTER the healer went unconscious? I always thought the healer had the say on what spells they healed first and when, unless they were unable to make that decision (e.g. knocked out).  Your tank/healer sounds fun however!!! :)
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 09:25:36 PM »
That is the way I have them played, that the healer chooses until unconscious then it kicks in.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 10:55:26 AM »
I do agree with that interpretation, unconscious spells kick in when you are unconscious. But a Frenzied healer is very likely to be able to take advantage of the full power of unconscious healing.....

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 12:23:09 PM »
I interpret even unconscious casting as taking normal casting time and thus would not be appropriate for kicking in while continuously fighting even in a frenzy state.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 03:51:17 PM »
To be more clear about what I meant, a Frenzied healer is likely to get struck unconscious, permitting them full use of the subconscious spells.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 03:59:19 PM »
Ok then there really would not be a big difference. Thanks for clarifying.