Author Topic: Digital maps  (Read 1590 times)

Offline Pazuzu

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Digital maps
« on: July 14, 2015, 10:56:50 AM »
With RM and Shadow World products moving into digital production, what are the chances of getting digital object based maps of Kulthea?

It would be nice to be able to zoom in to a particular area, print out only what you want the players to see, add landmarks or notes, or have one version for the GM and one version for the players.

I've been a fan of Campaign Cartographer for a long time. Maps created with it or similar programs scale really well in ways that PDFs can't match. I would love to get (translated as pay real money for) an object based digital map of Kulthea that is fully populated. The old PDF maps are beautiful in the macro sense, but they are pretty sparse.

As a guy with a more than full time job and a family to occupy most of my time, I just don't have the spare time to draw maps and detail a local area.

I'd wager that there more mugs out there like me who would gladly drop thirty bucks or so for a fully digital and populated map of Kulthea.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Digital maps
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 04:24:48 PM »
I thin there are more people out there like you the main question is just how many more are out there and is it enough to have someone do such a project. Also most if not all people working on ICE projects have a first and sometimes second and third job and their time is valuable also. So as of right now a lot of "them" are focuses on RMU, HARP projects and other SW projects.
But that is not to say that something will not happen in the future. ;D
MDC

BTW, this comment/request has come up every few years but keep asking as the future is digital IMHO.
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 02:10:56 AM »
I can certainly understand why CC maps might be useful. However, since they still don't have a Mac OS version (I just went to their website and looked), I won't be involved.

Also, to be honest, while the look has improved over the years, I frankly think that the maps are not all that attractive.  :(
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline zyax1

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Lethys -the city
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 02:35:44 AM »
Google Earth-map would be cool like: http://weburndowntheinn.blogspot.se/2012/04/how-to-google-earth-your-campaign-world.html
But probably not very likely anyhting thats going to happen.
http://lethys.joabsson.se/

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Digital maps
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 12:33:04 AM »
I haven't played with it much but using Civilization V's mapmaker would be a great start for being able to zoom in and out from an almost globe view down to a very decent topographical city view.

Great idea, hope this helps!

Part 6 shows the city view:
http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-make-a-map-in-civilization-v/

"We do not stop playing because we get older.
We get old because we've stopped playing!"
-Bernard Shaw