Author Topic: PDF formatting improvement suggestion.  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
PDF formatting improvement suggestion.
« on: September 29, 2013, 10:08:31 AM »
I have only recently been introduced to Shadow World, and have already studied the Player's Guide and the Master Atlas (4e). I really like the idea of a fantasy world that is essentially struggling for progress, only to be put down again and again by the evil guys. Sort of the antithesis to romantic "good old times" Middle Earth.  :)

I would like to point out one thing... using an open source office program like LibreOffice or OpenOffice (available for free) and applying the correct title formattings, and then exporting as PDF will create a PDF that actually has a clickable chapter structure. That is very convenient... I miss it in my copies of the Player's Guide  and the Master Atlas. Both programs can actually open Word files and save them in their own format for a very easy import, with only minor formatting issues.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: PDF formatting improvement suggestion.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 02:01:36 PM »
While the manuscripts for our products get written in various word processing, the text is then poured into InDesign and layout magic then ensues to make text, maps and everything else work out correctly for screen pdf and print-on-demand.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 11:41:43 PM »
Well, that makes sense... is there a chance you could add clickable titles (a table of contents displayable in PDF readers as an extra window) to the documents?

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 01:51:43 AM »
Well, that makes sense... is there a chance you could add clickable titles (a table of contents displayable in PDF readers as an extra window) to the documents?

We can certainly do that, and it's not that difficult. I did it with some early Eidolon Studio books, but wasn't sure if anyone actually took advantage of it.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 07:58:49 AM »
That would be great! Being able to jump back and forth between chapters is just so much more convenient. :)