Author Topic: Miniature Painters?  (Read 1310 times)

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Miniature Painters?
« on: February 03, 2013, 01:23:16 AM »
Ok, I am considering getting some mini's painted and am curious if anyone has had theirs painted by someone else (i.e. paid freelance) or if they themselves do quality painting (shading, blending, etc) and would consider a consignment.  Probably in the area of a 15-20 miniatures maybe?

I've poked around just a LITTLE online, but the costs for decent work are pretty high.  I used to know someone that painted for the original price of the miniature, great deal for the quality of work he did, but I lost track of him many years ago.

I've contacted a local friend about this also, but seeing as he's married with three kids I don't know if he'll have the time.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Defendi

• Final Redoubt
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
Re: Miniature Painters?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 01:55:21 AM »
I have a local friend (Orem, UT) that does this professionally, but he might fall into the "pretty high" category depending on where your threshold is.  You'd need to contact him for a quote.  He's Drew at http://www.gardenninja.com.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 03:17:07 AM »
Not that it'll help you but my wife really knows how to paint miniatures. Why not try yourself, I'm sure there's heaps of tutorials out there.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 03:37:35 AM »
Actually, Robert, that's not bad from what I've seen on various web sights.  Some want as much as $65 for a fairly standard sized mini, which is absurd imo.  Looks like your friend is around $25, which is reasonable for a really good professional job that isn't intended to win a world competition... but, yeah, a little higher than I was hoping to get away with.  Wish I still had good contact info for a former friend/customer from my WotC days up in Canada.  She was a great painter (professionally painted Warhammer armies) and pretty much did it for free for me, just took a long time.

Ironmaul... I'm confident I would get good at it with practice, but it's all a mater of time. :)  I probably have several thousand photographs I need to go through to sort which ones I want to touch up and throw up on my photography site and I don't even get to that.  Next project on the list is to go through wedding and honeymoon pics before anything else (and it's been about five months since those).
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 06:02:27 AM »
 I sent an email to a person with the link above, if she is interested she will get back to you.

Other wise I knew someone in Marin County, CA but I think they will be $$$ as they do pro Warhammer Armies for various people and I think in 2000 they were charging $25+ for mini's. But I will try and dig up the game store name if this link does not pan out. Just PM me and I will put it on my to do list.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 01:14:22 PM »
Thanks for passing it on markc, I've got a couple other feelers out too.

It's interesting, the companies don't really pay their full time painters all that well, but a lot of the independent ones charge an arm and a leg.  The woman I knew that painted Warhammer armies charged about $1200 on the low end and as much as twice that for some.  Had enough work that she actively discouraged her name getting out to too many people and was able to live off it if she wanted.  Course, that was ten years ago.
- Cory Magel

Offline peacekeeper_b

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Deus Vult!"
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 03:09:17 PM »
http://www.lazuli-miniatures.com/#

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 07:17:43 PM »
  The person I just contacted locally said she was is the $65+ range category as she puts in quite a bit of time on each mini.
  I know it is not a big market but maybe there is a bis oppertunity here.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.