Author Topic: Director's Briefing (12th September 2012)  (Read 6460 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Director's Briefing (12th September 2012)
« on: September 12, 2012, 02:47:37 AM »
This is the fourteenth Briefing and this is the scheduled Briefing for September, so time for a quick report across the product lines.

Unified Rolemaster

The new Rolemaster Character Law and Arms Law have been released from the Gamma discussion and playtesting phase. They will receive a very minimal amount of formatting and will then go to Public Playtest. I am waiting impatiently on the new Spell Law similarly emerging. The plan is to release these three products into Public Playtest in quick succession and while GMs and players are digesting these, trying stuff out and making suggestions on the ICE forums, the RMU team will focus on Creature Law and Treasure Law.

There will be an unscheduled Briefing as soon as the first unified Rolemaster product goes live on the OneBookShelf network.

HARP Fantasy goes Electrum and more to come!

We released HARP Fantasy last month with a special time-limited discount coupon offer, which expires on the 15th of September. To recap, use the following link to buy the HARP Fantasy pdf for a mere 5 (yes, FIVE) dollars
http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?discount=91524
(if you prefer www.drivethrurpg.com/index.php?discount=91524 and so on for all the other OBS affiliates) rather than the normal 20 dollars. This offers ends 15th September 2012, so buy right now.

We’ve had some glitches with the HARP Fantasy formatting, but it is being fixed up, so don’t fret or delay taking advantage of the coupon – we’ll let you know when the tidying is complete and you simply redownload the file. Also it will be the clean file that goes to print-on-demand.

For sports fans, this summer has been all about London 2012 in both Olympics and Paralympics, and for many, it has been all about the medals – bronze, silver and gold. On the OneBookShelf network, you could say it is all about the metals – copper, silver, electrum, gold and platinum, which measure paid-for sales on products on their network. HARP Fantasy now has a Copper rating on DriveThruRPG and an Electrum rating on RPGNow. To continue our sporting analogy, think boxing and wrestling associations where individual organisations award their own world championship belts. The OneBookShelf metal rankings are distinct across the various OneBookShelf storefronts with each attracting its own audience – DriveThru mainly the big companies and their fans, RPGNow the “indies” and their fans, WargameVault with wargamers. We do better on RPGNow because we started there and our sales hyperlinks are normally set to there. Reaching Electrum already is very good indeed and HARP Fantasy is the first GCP and indeed ICE product to reach that rating. If you click on the metal ranking image, you will go to a page which shows how many products have achieved each rating in number and percentage for that OneBookShelf site.

In other HARP news, Martial Law is poised to enter layout as soon as HARP Fantasy has received its cleanup and I’ve managed to complete my change document for College of Magics, which is now being checked by the rest of the redesign team. We have opened our list of necessary changes that are required to tweak Loot to be fully consistent with the trio of enhanced HARP Fantasy books (core, Martial Law and College of Magics) and we have a new cover for it as well. You are very welcome to submit requests for tweaking modifications and errata fixes for Loot on the ICE forums. We have also opened a discussion on the ICE forums concerning the future brand-new HARP Bestiary and would like to hear your suggestions for which monsters you’d like to see in it.

Cyradon

For HARP and Rolemaster to thrive again, they need new material and not just rules. They need settings and adventures. So now that the core HARP Fantasy rulebook is available and Martial Law and College of Magics are ready (or nearly so) to hand over to layout, it’s time that we reawakened Cyradon. We’ve started a thread on the ICE forums to explain what changes we will definitely be making and to solicit requests from the fans for extra bits and pieces we could add into the main setting book.

I am awaiting a formal signature from its author (Jason Brisbane) on an agreement to bring back “The Ruins of Kausur”, which we will update for compatibility with HARP Fantasy. We are also waiting upon a formal contract with an author for a new adventure module to be set on the continent of Cyradon. Elsewhere for the world of Mithra (for there’s more than just the continent of Cyradon to explore), we are making very good progress on the return of “A Wedding in Axebridge”, which will be fine-tuned such that it and indeed followup modules (that are already in progress!) can be set in one of the landmasses of the Shatterings.

Shadow World

Whisper it softly. Emer III is real. The first draft has arrived from Terry Amthor. It’s huge, it’s fantastic, and Shadow World fans are going to love it.

Next Time

There will be a scheduled Director’s Briefing in October but there also will be a special Briefing to announce the Public Playtest of unified Rolemaster.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Director, Guild Companion Publications Ltd.
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
Re: Director's Briefing (12th September 2012)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 09:55:25 AM »
Great news, as always!!!  ;D
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline ubiquitousrat

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 12:01:59 PM »
With my group planning to roll up RMU characters on Friday, after waiting 2 weeks to get started, this is good news!

Do we wait or do we switch to HARP? Hmm...  :o

Offline Fnord

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 01:58:27 PM »
I'm so anxious about RMU that I'm gonna eat my own arm...

Offline jeddak

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 08:23:20 PM »

I'm confident that a future Rolemaster supplement will cover auto-cannibalism.

I can only imagine what the criticals might be on that one...."your <appendage> tastes like the finest filet mignon you could imagine - you consume it in twelve bites and start on the other one..."

Offline jeddak

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 08:28:55 PM »
Thank you for the update, Nicholas.

We're so excited about the new unified RM and can't wait to get our hands on the Beta. A whole new era is upon us, and I sense great things to come from ICE.

And, like Fnord, I'm so anxious, I could eat Fnord's arm...

This is the fourteenth Briefing and this is the scheduled Briefing for September, so time for a quick report across the product lines.

Unified Rolemaster

The new Rolemaster Character Law and Arms Law have been released from the Gamma discussion and playtesting phase. They will receive a very minimal amount of formatting and will then go to Public Playtest.

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 08:52:52 PM »

I can only imagine what the criticals might be on that one...."your <appendage> tastes like the finest filet mignon you could imagine - you consume it in twelve bites and start on the other one..."
jeddak: Get a laugh point!  :D
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 08:59:08 PM »

Hmmm, I can imagine somewhere in the heat crits...

"Foe is a bit overdone on the outside, but just right on the inside. Pass the mustard."
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 04:19:11 AM »
I might have missed something, but how I get my hands on the RMU beta?
"I'd Rather Be a Rising Ape Than a Fallen Angel"

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 07:07:28 AM »

Watch for an announcement that we have put up the Public Playtest files on the OneBookShelf network. We're impatiently waiting on the new Spell Law emerging from Gamma at the moment.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Keen_Man

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 09:43:49 AM »
If you put red bull in the water tank of your coffee maker before hitting brew the resulting beverage will let you see through time to the new rule book.

:o

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 03:24:45 PM »
If you put red bull in the water tank of your coffee maker before hitting brew the resulting beverage will let you see through time to the new rule book.

:o

I might just try that:P

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 03:25:50 PM »

Watch for an announcement that we have put up the Public Playtest files on the OneBookShelf network. We're impatiently waiting on the new Spell Law emerging from Gamma at the moment.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Goodie, cant wait. Its almost like xmas :)

Offline LonePaladin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 12:32:03 AM »
I'm probably not going to be able to do any playtesting -- my current group is a little resistant to trying new systems, and I'm going to have a heck of a time convincing them to play my newly-acquired Spacemaster stuff.

But! I'm willing to give the new rules the Mk. I Eyeball on my own and see if I spot anything that needs correcting.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 09:33:44 PM »
Good news, everyone!

I finished my final edit of Spell Law today and handed off to Matt for a few final touches. It should be submitted as pre-layout Beta copy tonight.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 09:43:57 PM »
Good news, everyone!

I finished my final edit of Spell Law today and handed off to Matt for a few final touches. It should be submitted as pre-layout Beta copy tonight.

And it looks like your 1,000th post also.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 09:54:40 PM »
Good news, everyone!

And it looks like your 1,000th post also.
MDC

Looks like you became "revered" just in the nick of time.  ;)
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline ubiquitousrat

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 12:53:26 PM »
Starting to pump up some interest in RPG quarters by taking up the offer from The Iron Tavern to talk Rolemaster. My warm-up post is live today: http://irontavern.com/2012/09/17/the-rolemaster-files/

Hope this is ok with you guys.
 ;)

Offline Elton Robb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Master of Atlantis
    • The Atlantis Blog
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 01:17:17 PM »
I'm not excited.
Personal Web Portfolio:
http://eltonatlantean.wix.com/portfolio
Deviant Art: http://atlantean6.deviantart.com/
Renderosity: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=561541

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 02:12:03 PM »
Okay, don't be excited.

But I'll say this: I came into the project with no higher goal than to have ICE produce that rare RPG product, the one that doesn't look like it was edited by drunken, dyslexic chimps. I fully expected that I would wish RMU well as it went on its way, while sticking with RMSS for my own use. Now, I won't say that I won't miss some of the tools that RMSS gave me that RMU doesn't, but on the whole, I think we've produced a fine new edition, one which I am prepared to adopt for my own future use.

There is no such thing as a perfect system, but I think RMU is a very good one, and that it will be even better after beta gives it a good workout.

So, me, in spite of it having been a long, hard slog and not always an enjoyable process, am excited to have RMU come out in beta.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.