Author Topic: Proclamations from the Crown (August 2012)  (Read 6549 times)

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
Proclamations from the Crown (August 2012)
« on: August 10, 2012, 08:55:04 AM »
Aurigas Aldebaron's Address

Happy Thirtieth Anniversary!

There was a number of items I wanted to talk about this quarter, and was struggling how to start which is why I’m a bit late (that, and the day job  ), but a book I have been reading with my daughter, Charlotte, combined with some ranting over on RPG.Net, gave me some inspiration. I came to be constantly tumbling this word in my mind, for which I now provide a formal definition:

com•pa•ny n. pl. com•pa•nies
1.    A group of persons.
2.    One's companions or associates: or guest or guests.
3.    The state of friendly companionship; fellowship.
4.    13 dwarfs, a hobbit and occasionally a wizard in search of dragon treasure.
5.    A business enterprise; a firm.
6.    A troupe of dramatic or musical performers: a repertory company.
7.    A subdivision of a military regiment or battalion that constitutes the lowest administrative unit.

OK, I’m sure you have guessed which book I have been reading with my daughter – The Hobbit.  This will be the 16th time I have read it. I still find it to be one of the best written stories I have ever read – really, every sentence is a joy to read, not just because of the story but the actual English words and their flow.  It was the first fantasy book I had ever read, given to me by my 5th grade teacher (shout out to Mrs. Wendel), for whom I was a pest. But I think she realized I had something in me that would draw me to such a world and, like all great teachers, she was right – I became an avid reader not only of fantasy, but of science fiction, horror, and history (esp. military).

I’m mentioning this because I have noticed a trend from public boards, our own forums and in publication, a trend of parents looking to play with their kids.  An example – Knights of the Dinner Table – Bob playing with his niece and nephew, Nitro with his daughter and the pee wees.  And also my situation – I have been waiting for my two girls to be old enough to game with me and now they can! 

This is important because I think it is a reflection of the demographics of the RPG fan base which as game manufacturers we need to understand, and a hope for the future. On the demographics, I suspect that the population of table-top RP gamers is aging, and we have our own “player boom” from those of us who were teens to twenties in the late 70s, 80s and early 90s.  Those that came to “gaming age” after the mid 90s were mostly lost to electronic gaming.  I don’t think that means the fan base has shrunk much, but it is unlikely to have grown. Certainly the revenues are down, probably because older players have less time to play and are buying less product.  However, as the player boom ages, we may have more money and time to indulge in our hobby (even if it was dropped for multiple years) and, given the importance put on family time these days, to do so with our children – and I think we are seeing that expressed in gamer media. If so, it means that we should be focusing on products that continue to support the player boom and that might include products that help them get their kids interested. In fact, I have this need – and I can’t start out with RM (too heavy and gritty) and even HARP is too big a bite for kids around the age of ten. Hence, a project was spawned which you can follow over at the forums [LINK] where hopefully I will find the time to post regularly about my journey in developing a game for my kids (with the help and input of Thom).  I’m not aiming really for the game itself to be commercialized, though maybe that will be a result, but more to provide an experience and example that will hopefully inspire others to sling dice with their kids and where they can learn from all the mistakes I am sure to make!  On the hope angle, perhaps these gaming parents will produce a “baby gamer boomlet”!

Now, back to the definition…
I was surprised how virtually every entry relates in some way to gaming (OK, I made up the Hobbit one – but it should be there as the most famous example, right?)

A group of persons...sitting around a table having fun!  RPG’s are all about people and people being social with one another.  And we need more of that.  All too often I see examples of how as a society we are dehumanizing our interactions with some sort of electronic device in between, and if not that, some physical or social barrier - gates, walls, fences, income gaps, race further separating us. It drives me nuts when the kids are on the iPad playing games and can’t even respond to me when I ask a question they are so immersed.  A recent Newsweek article, to paraphrase, stated that people who play games or use social media several hours a day exhibit brain functionality similar to schizophrenics!  My fight back? (Yeah, first I need to lose the iPad) – game night!  Fortunately, we do play a lot of games in our home.  But I expanded recently to running a game night at our church in central London. We had a huge turnout – people loved it! Old people who live alone were so thankful (I had no idea) to have some fun and companionship, and to make new friends.  Adults were just happy to get out of the house, with their kids in tow but to socialize in a neighborly fashion with adults without the need to get “dressed up” and pay for a sitter.  Kids made new friends, learned new games, achieved bragging rights.  People are clamoring for me to do another…why…? 

I was surprised by the level of excitement, but my explanation on reflection is that we all really do want to socialize, have a little fun in a personal, “face-to-face” way, and exercise our brains (math, English, strategy skills) together.  That tells me I am doing the right thing – that there IS demand for games and that it is “good for people” ( the more social the better) - if only we can get people to exit the rat-race treadmill of over-work and Matrix-like brain-control of our electronic devices.

One's companions or associates or the state of friendly companionship.  Look, we are NOT just playing games – it’s a hobby!  And at that level of commitment, with those hours involved, the people you game with BETTER be your friends!  My best game groups were with people who were my friends first, but I also made friends with people I met through gaming. The idea this activity is best enjoyed amongst friends and family, or at least like-minded acquaintances, is an important distinction to many of the newer forms of entertainment on offer. Even compared to going to the cinema, it is better.  I don’t know about you, but when I go with my wife to the cinema, we don’t really get to talk much or literally even SEE each other…because we are watching a movie…in the dark!  And for that privilege, it cost us about $40 for 2 hours of fun (with snacks), not including the sitter – another $30!  So for 2 hours of entertainment I could have bought TWO RPG rule books that will last me hundreds of hours of much higher quality entertainment…and some people complain RPGs are too expensive?!  I don’t get it – these people must either be very bad at math or never do anything for entertainment other than take out “free” books from the library.

A troupe of dramatic performers…a military unit…Perfect!  Yup, you have your acting (my youngest will love that, I think as long as she can be a faerie or an elf)  and you got your military/strategy (get out those swords – my oldest, Georgina, will dig this – the only one in my family like me that is entranced by medieval weapons when we go to a museum).  There is something for everyone – boys and girls, fighting and diplomacy, charades or strategy - you name it.  I think this is one part of role playing games that just never makes it to the outside world – the flexibility and diversity of the role playing gaming concept for it to be what you want it to be.

And lastly…

A business enterprise; a firm. Where does this come from?  Well, it takes a company of people to create a business enterprise, hence “company”.  Companies don’t exist without some group of people to run and work in it.  Today, “companies” seem to be bad things to many people, but every single mom and pop shop you buy a sandwich from to an Apple or Dell that sells you your computer is actually just a group of people working together for a common purpose to create something that other people want.  Usually, but not always, this is done for profit.  Let’s think about what they are actually doing – a group of people organizing themselves to create what they, or a larger group of people, want.

I left this for last because it’s the one that stands out from the others. Mainly, it is not the one that describes the end product of value in an RPG where the other sub-definitions seem to capture that well; for it is really the people, usually friends – the players and the GM – sitting around creating fun.  They by far, are the most important element of the whole gaming experience.  The next is the fact that being a gamer is a hobby where there is a group of like-minded “fans” (versus just individual “customers” or “audience members” as compared to virtually all other leisure pursuits) – a group of people who see the fact that the value of the whole is greater than the sum of the individuals in terms of the additional social, intellectual and entertainment benefits in being a part of a “fan-base” or “network” provides.

BUT I feel fairly confident in saying that high quality gaming as we know it would not exist without game products.  Otherwise it’s just collaborative storytelling.  We need the rules to define the challenges and measure the risk of success or failure with the added element of the unpredictable outside of human control (the dice) to “replicate” real life experience. Some “group of people” needs to do this and it also needs to be standardized so that it will provide the “network benefits” to the fan-base. It’s no surprise that D&D is so dominant despite its many flaws simply because so many people play it now and that you can always find someone to game with.

Furthermore, we need to support game products to add value to the gaming experience. Particularly in today’s time-poor world, we need these products, at reasonable prices to reduce the time players and GMs spend on preparation so they can maximize their time on gaming fun. For a group of fans in multiple game groups, this has a huge amount of efficiency and value-add as compared to each GM making their own.

So, who is this “group of people” at the “company” of ICE? Well, I believe it is not just the Aurigas Aldebaron team and the GCP team and the moderators, editors and freelance writers, artists and e-support developers, all of whom are doing this part time (generally, in excess of full time day jobs!) or for free.  Nope, we have to move beyond that way of thinking.  The “Company” includes YOU, the fans: The “Company” I am talking about is all of us who play Iron Crown products and have done so over some time frame during the last thirty years. We (the collective we – fans, GCP, Aurigas, freelancers) are a “company”, a group of people, with a like-minded goal – to play gritty, real, deadly RPGs of varying levels of detail and/or complexity in a social, face-to-face, fun environment.

We need to all think like this because there is no point in any of us working on this (you on your home games, and us on the products) unless we have your full support and can actually grow the fan base or the “network” to add incremental value.  Either the products produced work for us all as gamers and do so in a way that is different and generally better than what else is on offer, or we should all just drop it and go play something else. I don’t want to waste my time and you don’t want to waste yours.  That does not mean that we are going to take everyone’s individual recommendations for rules changes, for example, but it does mean we need to listen and produce products that meet the needs of the greatest number of fans.

And let me be clear so it is not misconstrued:  In the very first instance, the products MUST stand on their own.  They must be of high quality at a fair price.  I do not make this call to arms without understanding that the product must be something worth supporting.

At the same time, while producing games is enjoyable and rewarding in and of itself, that only goes so far.  It’s hard work and time away from family and friends. For some, it means not spending time working more hours elsewhere to earn money (Jeeze, I’m doing that right now!) In essence, it’s a sacrifice to the collective effort.  The more people with the needed skills we can cast a charm spell on to do this, the better! But we also need a sacrifice from the fans – and that comes in the form of paying money to cover all the costs of production, including creative time.

Now, I know some of you are starting to glaze over as I go into the business aspects of this – its certainly not fun to discuss. But by understanding it, I hope you can see that by helping to ensure products are not pirated, and that paying a full and fair price is actually to the “Company’s” benefit – and by that I mean all our benefit. If we, the managers and designers, can see that its working, and the freelancers see its working, they will work all the harder to get you more for your game. And when there is a profit, you know that it’s going to go back into making more product.  In one way, its good we all have day jobs – we don’t need to take any money out of the business and we don’t need to have “business decisions” override what is best for the game (a la Gary Jackson in KoDT, if you know what I mean).  Put it another way – the money you use to buy a product will go about 85% for the actual production and delivery of that product to your hands, and 15% will go essentially as an investment in the next two or three products, or spent on marketing to other role-players to convince them to join Iron Crown.

I hope I have explained this well enough to convince you to join me in the “Company” of Iron Crown for the next thirty years!

OK, someone start a thread on this post and let’s get some commentary!

- John Seal
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 01:47:34 PM by Thom @ ICE »
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Langthorne

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Interrogator: "Do you know who we are?!"
Re: Proclamations from the Crown (August 2012)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 07:27:44 PM »
Great proclamation.

There are so many interesting and important points you raise, and with a new version of Rolemaster in production, it is very timely.

I have no idea how one would go about producing a new version of Rolemaster that has wide appeal. I know what I would like to see, but I am not so sure that it would appeal to others. I am not entirely sure if the opinions one might find in the various ICE forums are a good guide for finding a version with wide appeal either - during the period of absence of 'official' new material for all versions of Rolemaster, many of us will have devised home rules/versions to fill the void, and naturally each individual's preference will be different from others'....anyway, with the new version seemingly well on the way, it matters little.

I have very fond feelings towards Rolemaster, and I really want the new version to be excellent. I suppose anyone who still plays the game regularly feels the same. It also means that we know a good game when we see one. Maybe this is one of the big things that makes us a 'company' - not the banner (Rolemaster), but the 'cause' (a great RPG).

I am only one potential customer when it comes to the new version. If I like it, I will buy it. If not, I won't. (Stealing it is not one of the options)

Keep on rolling Rolemaster.

:flame:

Offline Magistrate

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rolemaster Office - free PC/NPC RMFRP generator
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 01:53:28 AM »
I'm in!
I have created (I think) a very good character generator for RMFRP the last two years;
And I will create (I hope) the best character generator for the new Rolemaster.
I'm just waiting for the beta PDFs to start programming. :working:

And one word to roleplaying for kids. The german publisher of Rolemaster 13Mann has published a very easy and simple roleplay called Aborea. Perhaps you check it out ...

Download free PC/NPC RMFRP generator ( Nov 08, 2018 v4.3.18 ): http://rmoffice.sf.net/

Offline ubiquitousrat

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 05:43:28 AM »
We're in. My group is just waiting for the beta files to launch our campaign and playtest. It's a brilliant way to bring back two old fans of RM and intro two newbies to the system.

Game on!
 ;)

Offline John @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 07:43:53 AM »
I'm in!
I have created (I think) a very good character generator for RMFRP the last two years;
And I will create (I hope) the best character generator for the new Rolemaster.
I'm just waiting for the beta PDFs to start programming. :working:

And one word to roleplaying for kids. The german publisher of Rolemaster 13Mann has published a very easy and simple roleplay called Aborea. Perhaps you check it out ...

Thanks for that!  Good guys over at 13mann!

I sure will ask, but I need to hope they have an english version (or be willing to explain it to me in english over the phone!)
Heavy is the head that wears the Iron Crown

Offline John @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 07:47:51 AM »
Great to see people are ready!

And play testing will start soon som everyone and anyone who wants to be "part of the company" and have a hand in making it the best RPG ever is welcome to join in.

Obviosuly we hope to eliminate only minor bugs and assume it is good to go, but you never know until you try it - but for things that may not be working, hopefully the community at large can sift through those house rules (could there be similar ones used at many tables?) that rise to the top.

Offline John @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 09:13:42 AM »
We got this mailed to us privately today in response to the Proclamation, and I think this is a fair issue that needs to be addressed:

[sic]“persoanlly if you are paying $70 for two game books they you are getting screwed. the majority of gamers i run with can barely afford buying one of the standard used 3.5 rulesbooks let alone anything from the new rules set. cost is a big factor there. also it seems that people have become enamored of the retro game idea, maybe RM or HARP should be streamlined as i have notice in the last 12 years there has been an increase in trying to create rules for every possible situation which creates more headaches for the GM and stuff to learn.

in the old days we used to create our own additional rules to cover what the books did not, and we were happy with that. and i still am, having been a GM since 77.”

I am going to answer this in a number of ways, because I have a lot of feelings about this and it also reflects different views to this issue that I have been tracking with regards to RPGs for years, with our own forums a good source of that:

Response 1: You are right, it’s a lot of money for a system you don’t need if you have been playing for over 30 years with a core crew with a perfect set of home brew rules.

There is no denying the truth in this point of view.  Frankly, if you have your own lovingly crafted campaign world, tons of material, and lots of time to write your own adventures (for my 30+ years of GMing, I only used store bought 25% of the time and they were always fairly well adjusted to fit my campaign), then you don’t need to buy the new system. But, that point of view does not satisfy two main groups of fans: (i) people new to ICE products, and (ii) people who don’t have the time (or possibly the creative skills) to write their own campaigns/modules – because if you buy them, they are only going to be “stat-ed” for the new rules.  I suppose there is a third group – people who “play around” and by this I mean play with multiple groups, go to tournaments, maybe look for games on fantasy grounds playing with people around the world, etc.  For them, home brew will not work – you need a standard.

Response 2:  I disagree - $70 for two game books is not getting screwed – However, I agree if you are told you need to buy a new set 3 years later and every 3 years after that!

I was also a long time D&D player as well, and man did that burn me!  Well, guess what?  We are NOT going to do that here! This is it.  These are the rules we are going to work with for the NEXT thirty years (I’m sure that statement will come back to haunt me, but I mean it, unless it’s driven by an overwhelming majority of the fans and for other very good reasons).  After thirty years of innovation in the industry, I don’t believe there are any ideas that have not been tried already.  And everybody plagiarizes everyone else to optimize their system – you see virtually nothing new and when it is, it’s a bit hokey, used to sell product rather than benefit the game.  Monty Cook, who worked FIRST at Iron Crown, went and worked on 3.0 for D&D and took the whole skills idea and many others from ICE products, it’s that simple.  And they are doing it again - check this out:

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=11955.0

OK, getting a little off topic there, but my point is we have a fantastic starting point, smart people involved AND thirty years of industry development to create the best TYPE of game for our fans.  I emphasize type because it’s uniquely Iron Crown, uniquely Rolemaster.  I am not trying to compete with D&D (though if they take enough of our ideas, I suppose we will be forced to).  I am making game products for OUR community, OUR “company” (again, as used in the wider sense), and we all know what style of play that is.  And best of all, it’s being managed by people who are fans – not business people, not people that need it to make an investment return, not people who need to live off the income.  So, at the very least, you can be sure our hearts and minds are in the right place and that the changes being made are the ones we think in the long run will be best for the Iron Crown community AS GAMERS.  And I can guarantee that the price will be cheap even if hardcover books are $40 or $45 (and no, I don’t know the costings yet). It will be cheap because those rules are going to last LONGER than your book will when it falls apart from use.

Response 3:  I disagree, spending $200 on an RPG system is CHEAP! 

That’s not $200 per person either.  That’s the GM buying 5 books and the players buying maybe only 1, but possibly 3, so let’s say a player buys 2 books and the GM 5.  For a 5 person group, that’s $520 or $104 per person. Oh, and don’t forget Shadow World, some adventure modules, a few other supplements, darn! That’s another $200 or $40 per person – let’s call it $150 per, plus each year probably another $20 per for more support materials.  Expensive, you say?

An Xbox will Cost you $190 upfront plus about $20 for each game you buy.  That’s not to mention the monthly cost to play with your friends ($60 per year) and they EACH have to buy an Xbox and the game.  So you are a Halo fan – welcome to the jungle at $270 year one and $60 per year after for ONE GAME PER PERSON.

Movies?  Not very social or interactive, but hey, you are a cinema freak - $20 per person per night with all the goodies and the gas to drive to the theatre (and this assumes you don’t need a sitter for your rugrats or handbag Chihuahua!). No upfront costs, but if you game twice a month and get 10 hours in, that’s 4 to 5 movies in a month (you are a cinema buff, remember) at let’s say at $80/month times 12 months and that’s $1000 a year! 
Ahhh…but you don’t go to the movies, you watch them on direct TV and wait (many months) until they are freeeeeeee…very clever, you.  But, you are still paying many tens of dollars for that privilege, though you do get all of your other TV entertainment too.  Lucky you – have fun sitting on your couch and scratching yourself in private.

Pen & Paper RPGs are so 80’s - World of Warcraft, baby! Yeah well that’s $13 per month per person at its cheapest option, or $156 per year. So bang right on the money with PP-RPGs and you can play as much as you want like PP-RPGs.  But after year one, PP-RPGs get dramatically cheaper, besides the fact the YOU are creating the world and writing the story, not just playing out the pre-programmed story of some code-monkeys!

Losers!  I’m an ATHLETE – I go to the gym instead and hang out with all my monster friends…and it costs $70 PER MONTH.

Mountain biking?  Buy a barely decent one, cost you $600.

Skiing? Forgetaboutit…

Reading – Aha! Reading is cheaper.  Books on amazon are like $4 (if they are not best sellers and new releases by good authors) and I read 3 a month – I’m a book nut!  Hmmmm…That’s $144 per year…Ok – you got me – you can go the library.  But I know your type, you always return your books late and pay about $50 in late fees a year…still it’s cheaper, though a very solitary, uncreative form of entertainment…

I think y’all get my point.  Just because something costs $70, or $200 or $10,000 does not mean it is expensive (or cheap). Just because you can’t afford it does not make it expensive, nor if you are rich, does it make it cheap. Things have an intrinsic value and they have a price.  The price does not always match the value.  You need to compare it to other forms of what’s available (in this case, entertainment and leisure activity).  You need to decide, in this case, what other leisure activities you enjoy, how much you enjoy them and what they cost. Only THEN can you decide if they are expensive or cheap.
If you are an RPG fan, I am CERTAIN BEYOND A DOUBT that paying the full boat for a new, hardcover RPG system is excellent value.  Broken down by hour, you are paying something like $1.20 per hour in year 1 and fifty-cents in year two.  The only caveat to this is my response number one – if your group is happy with an older version, your home rules and you have tons of home-made support product, it’s even CHEAPER to play – it’s FREE!  And we can’t compete with that.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 10:10:52 AM »
 [From experience]
  If you enjoy something you do not see it as expensive, it is when your enjoyment starts to fade that you tend to see something and costing more that its worth.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline John @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 10:26:57 AM »
[From experience]
  If you enjoy something you do not see it as expensive, it is when your enjoyment starts to fade that you tend to see something and costing more that its worth.
MDC

Great wisdom in that statement.  And I did not talk about the time commitment and that "cost".  To be fair, RPGs can be "costly" to a GM if there is alot of prep work involved.  Now, I for one like to do that work - I get entertainment value out of it, but not all bits of it.

But for others, it might be viewed as a cost that detracts from value.  But if so, they probably shouldnt GM! ;D

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 12:20:12 PM »
To be fair, RPGs can be "costly" to a GM if there is alot of prep work involved.  Now, I for one like to do that work - I get entertainment value out of it, but not all bits of it.

But for others, it might be viewed as a cost that detracts from value.  But if so, they probably shouldnt GM! ;D

Yeah, that. I have no idea how many thousands of hours I have put in (over the decades) for my world setting. If I expected what most people think of as "return on investment", I'd be screwed.

Happily, being a GM, getting the details right on my world is something I enjoy and would (after all, I have, often) do for free. So evidently I define "return on investment" quite differently from, say, your typical WoW player, your typical board game player, or your typical TV watcher.

But while I'm no business expert, I've always understood "know your target market" to be a fundamental principle of any business. This is players and GMs we're talking about. Are we seriously expecting them to be "typical", by nearly any standard you care to apply? Really?

:o
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 01:15:31 PM »
[From experience]
MDC

...or, like me, unemployments puts demands on all income that doesn't include games, be they table top or PC. 

Shame too, cuz the end of August is our annual Spud Con, and I will be running a RM adventure.  Needless to say running RMU would be great, especially with this group of all 40+ gamers (our combined gaming experience as a group is well over two centuries).
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 04:12:55 PM »
Table Top Gaming is a very inexpensive hobby when it comes down to it.

You can make it expensive (I've got a lot of Dwarven Forge stuff!) if you want to, but the reality is that if you bought two $50 video game RPG's you got an average of 30 hours of play out of each of them (the usual target when developing them - yes, some have less and some have more playable hours but 30 hours is fairly normal).  That's $100 for 60 hours.  Our gaming sessions run an average of 10 hours or so.  Six gaming sessions and we just paid for that $100 in computer games.

When it comes down to it even buying a dozen RPG books at, say, $20 each ($240) is cheap entertainment.  I'd get five, newly published, video games for $250 and get 150 hours of play out of them.  I've got a couple decades of use from my RMSS books at roughly that same cost.  Think long term.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 10:16:12 PM »
As I was fond of pointing out to customers back when I serviced various office electronics for a living, "It's not the initial investment that eats you alive, it's the maintenance and supplies, because that's the expense that never ends."

In the case of tabletop RPGs, other than your time the maintenance cost is practically zero. Try finding that in most other forms of entertainment. Most forms of anything people spend money on, for that matter.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 08:11:43 PM »
Have to agree, P&P RPG's are very inexpensive over the long term.  As an example, over the last 32+ years that I've been an RPGer, I've probably sunk about $1,000 into this hobby buying books, dice, and other equipment; but have probably gotten more than 10,000 hours of enjoyment out of it.  Admittedly, I tend to GM much more often than I play, so because of that I've got thousands of hours into design work (>90% of it into my Channel Cities/World of Ærnth setting), ~1,500 hours into running games as a GM, and maybe 500 hours into actually playing as a player), but that works out to a whopping $0.10/hr that it has cost me.  Likewise, there are probably between 40 and 50 other people who have spent anywhere from a few hours to several hundred hours enjoying the games that were created by these RPG sessions. And on that same note, about 9,000 hours of that has been with using the Rolemaster family of gaming systems, and I've probably spent less than $300 on them; as most of what I've spent has been for games that either I didn't care for and purchased for the sake of gaming with others or for games that I've never used at all because their followers are so few that I've never been able to even convince anyone else to try them (and in most of those cases I'll use bits and pieces of these as fodder for ideas to incorporate into Rolemaster games). 
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline Keen_Man

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 03:24:45 PM »

And play testing will start soon som everyone and anyone who wants to be "part of the company" and have a hand in making it the best RPG ever is welcome to join in.

Obviosuly we hope to eliminate only minor bugs and assume it is good to go, but you never know until you try it - but for things that may not be working, hopefully the community at large can sift through those house rules (could there be similar ones used at many tables?) that rise to the top.

Just wondering if there is an expected date for the release of the rolemaster unified Beta books. I have 2 - 3 gaming groups ready to try out the new rules (and a couple of rabid fans asking me when its out every week)

not sure if this is already in the forum but a quick search did not turn up anything.

From what I understand the rough beta will be available for sale in the onebookshelf network(which seems to be RPGnow?)

Thank you

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 08:52:37 PM »
  From what I have herd it is expected at the end of the month. The books are at the gamma readers at this stage from a post by Nicholas H.M. Caldwell.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 09:13:48 PM »
BTW Keen_Man welcome to the ICE Forums.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 06:06:17 AM »

Just wondering if there is an expected date for the release of the rolemaster unified Beta books. I have 2 - 3 gaming groups ready to try out the new rules (and a couple of rabid fans asking me when its out every week)

not sure if this is already in the forum but a quick search did not turn up anything.

From what I understand the rough beta will be available for sale in the onebookshelf network(which seems to be RPGnow?)

Thank you

I hope to extract Arms Law and Character Law from the Gamma phase/incorporation of Gamma feedback soon and have those two minimally formatted. The Gamma readers are still working their way through Spell Law - there is a lot of Spell Law to read. Perhaps the easiest way of describing the new Spell Law is to say imagine RMSS Spell Law, with revised spell lists (some of them are total rewrites where the original has never properly pulled its weight or new spell lists) and fill in virtually all the empty slots. I repeat the version of Spell Law given to Gammas only had three empty slots. 

(If you've only ever used RM2 or RMC Spell Law, then imagine a version that has essentially no empty slots, six base lists for all spell-using professions, two pure and two semi spell users per realm, three hybrid spell users, Evil spell lists per realm.)

The Public Playtest versions will go on sale on the OneBookShelf network, which means www.rpgnow.com  and www.drivethrurpg.com (and WargameVault and the "affiliate stores" from enworld.org and RapideJDR.fr etc.). These are all essentially the same huge ecommerce store but they have different look&feels and different customer bases.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Malakor

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 08:03:37 AM »
Mr. Caldwell,

Do you guys have a price point figured for the OBS beta release yet?

Looking forward to the beta.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."
 - Charles Bukowski

Offline Keen_Man

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 09:39:36 AM »
Right on thanks for the info. I have had an account here since the new forum was setup but I notice my old posts seem to have vanished lol I did playtesting for the new I.C.E. owner a few months after purchase for the digital character builders that were out at the time.

and yeah I have read all the spell law oldest to newest they are in boxes in my new house lol

If spell law is being rewritten maybe we can get rid of our normal reference for first level spell casters in my group

"MAGE! heat me a brick!" because that's about all they are good at till 5th or so lol

there were sooooo many spell lists that were half empty I am glad to hear they are being fleshed out that will make my players happy. And on a personal note I will have to update my favorite all time character. Zam the sorcerer who specialized in soul destruction >:-)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 09:45:26 AM by Keen_Man »