Author Topic: A, hopefully, modest request...  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
A, hopefully, modest request...
« on: July 09, 2012, 08:26:56 PM »
So, I haven't said a whole lot about this to many people, but a couple weeks back my Fiancee had multiple pulmonary embolisms.

Long story short they often (and, from what I've been told, more often do than not) kill the person almost right away.  For those who do not know what they are a pulmonary embolism is a blood clot in the lungs which causes problem with airflow on it's own, but can also travel to the heart or brain and cause a heart attack or stroke. 

If you catch them in time, which fortunately we did, you have a chance because they give you strong blood thinners and drugs to try and break the clots up.  The stronger of the clot busting drugs are life threatening in and of themselves however.  There's not much they can do other than just put you on the drugs (via I.V.) and watch you... which is what they did for about a week in the hospital.

I don't want to go into a big long post (I'm good at that), but I've started a donation campaign to try and defray the medical costs. I know an event like this around ten years ago (with coverage) ran in the $15k-$20 range.  We aren't quite sure how her medical coverage is going to help.  Just having to pay 10%-20% of the hospital stay might be huge.  So I'm not asking anyone to donate so much as just spread the word and share the link.  We have a somewhat international group on these boards, so I thought it would be a good place to get the word out.

One of the major possible issues if we've setup our wedding and honeymoon for late August and it's only about 1/3rd paid for.  But the reservations and contracts have all been set.  It's possible we aren't going to even have enough credit to pay the medical expenses and still pay for the wedding/honeymoon.  Even if we can get the credit needed we still might be putting ourselves in a debt hole that will be hard to crawl out of.  Then there's the fact that we'll just lose a lot of the money put down on the wedding/honeymoon even if we cancelled them.  The situation pretty much sucks.

You gotta love live.  Just when you think everything is going fairly well life throws you a curve-ball.

So, here is the link: http://igg.me/p/164181?a=834098

Please share it as you see fit!

Thank You,
Cory
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: A, hopefully, modest request...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 09:31:34 PM »
Best of luck to your fiancee.  It's adorable how you capitalized FIANCEE, lol.

Recently became unemployed and uninsured, so I completely understand your finacials.  Good luck.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 10:56:42 AM »
  I wish you and your soon to be wife all the best and more luck than you will need.

Note: You probably have talked with the doc about flying if you are going to fly any where. I mention this as I had an uncle that had a medical problem in which he was on strong blood thinners and it was a big surprise that the doc did not want him to fly for 3 months after the ordeal.

Good Luck
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 12:03:13 PM »
Yeah, at first they told us there's no way she is going to Europe.  But by the time we left they said so long as they have her INR (how thin your blood is) at a steady and comfortable level there's really no reason why she shouldn't go.  Really, the danger of anything happening is no more or less than any other time, so she might as well live her life normally.

The flight over is in two split legs, so it's not bad.  The one back is a direct shot from Germany, so it'll be longer.  We'll just make sure she gets up and moves around more than usual to be careful.

One of the things that almost seems silly to even worry about given that she easily could have died is now that she's on blood thinners permanently she can't finish a Tattoo she was halfway through getting done.  Thankfully the line work and much of the shading is done, so we are trying to see if someone could airbrush it to a more finished look for the wedding (as it will be visible).  Might not be in the budget anymore though.  Guess we'll see.  (Tattoo artists won't touch anyone on blood thinners with a 10' pole).

It's aggravating on the finances.  I have a decent job, with better medical than hers (unfortunately we aren't married yet!), but we just finally paid off  $10k in unexpected plumbing work from three years back and were starting to work on getting rid of credit card debt so that the wedding/honeymoon doesn't put us in a hole... then this.  Her medical only covers 80% of hospital stays, so between that and everything else we're kinda expecting the worst.

My thanks for some of the contributions that came from this direction!  Every little bit helps.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 01:35:01 PM »
Cory,
 Great the hear that. And go while you can and any time you can as I am sure both of you will remember it always.

I do not know anything about tattoo's but I have heard of hena artists doing stuff that lasts for 3 months or so. But I do not know how it is applied or if it will work in your case. The story I watched said they are the same $ and normal tattoo's but you might get a break do to circumstances.

P.S. Was that ...and a 10' pole?  ;D

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.