Author Topic: Director's Briefing - The Rolemaster Briefing (26 June 2012)  (Read 16671 times)

Offline TAK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Director's Briefing - The Rolemaster Briefing (26 June 2012)
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2012, 09:28:59 AM »
At the risk of sounding churlish, I hope that the team pays utmost attention to the presentation of the new edition: art, layout, graphic design, as well as editing. Issues of organisation aside, I think RMFRP was exemplary in these regards, although of course the look would need to be updated for the present decade. I'd like to hold some really beautiful RM books in my hands, and this would be one of the best things to get new people interested in the game.

It will be hard to equal those Angus McBride covers though...

I can fully agree, but regarding the art, I'd rather see something along the lines of RM2(.5) than D&D 4e, I just so dislike the "too busy" art style of 4e, and Pathfinder falls into this as well.

And yes, oh those McBride covers, also really like way they kinda tell a story between the books, when I was a kid starting out with RM, those covers always paused me to think about what was happening to the group and how they ended up in the situation, the way art is meant to do.

I really do hope the books won't be too big, I think the ~200 page softcover book is very nice, but anything bigger and it gets a bit too unwieldy. Again, I refer to the RM2 books ;D

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2012, 09:39:45 AM »
I prefer a bigger cheaper book to a lot of smaller more expensive books.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2012, 02:40:25 PM »
And yes, oh those McBride covers, also really like way they kinda tell a story between the books, when I was a kid starting out with RM, those covers always paused me to think about what was happening to the group and how they ended up in the situation, the way art is meant to do.
I have said it before on these boards, and I am here saying it again: Art matters! As they say in cooking, "we eat with our eyes first." (For better or worse.) Also, think of real estate, curb appeal is a big deal, because if it doesn't look good as they drive up, they are much more likely to drive away without ever going inside and seeing all the great features.

Also, I really think it would be cool if the same characters ran through the books. In the beginning, with character creation, they would be young/new, with little detail, and as the book goes on, and these character's experiences grows, they get more and more developed, and are shown to be dealing with and doing more and more dangerous things (& beasties). Until, at the end of the books, you have these high-level characters, richly detailed in both look and history. Along with the art could be information on the web about the character's stats and abilities at the various stages of development and experience. Or, that can be in the book as well, though I am pretty sure it is too late for that now.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2012, 04:02:12 PM »
I have said it before on these boards, and I am here saying it again: Art matters! As they say in cooking, "we eat with our eyes first." (For better or worse.) Also, think of real estate, curb appeal is a big deal, because if it doesn't look good as they drive up, they are much more likely to drive away without ever going inside and seeing all the great features.

Also, I really think it would be cool if the same characters ran through the books. In the beginning, with character creation, they would be young/new, with little detail, and as the book goes on, and these character's experiences grows, they get more and more developed, and are shown to be dealing with and doing more and more dangerous things (& beasties). Until, at the end of the books, you have these high-level characters, richly detailed in both look and history. Along with the art could be information on the web about the character's stats and abilities at the various stages of development and experience. Or, that can be in the book as well, though I am pretty sure it is too late for that now.
I agree with everything you say here. A book needs to compete on the bookshelf against all the others. If it ain't got no sparkle for the eye, your wasting your time putting it on the shelf.
I also like the idea of the same character(s) through the book.

Offline TAK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2012, 05:18:31 AM »

Yes, this is pretty much what RQ did with it's rule explanations (I think MRQ2 has it, but I'm not foo far into the books yet, I'm talking about the old Chaosium/Avalon Hill books) in Cormac's story, but they never had any art to go with it, that would be awesome to see.

Imagine, if you will, a group of characters, let's say they are the standard 4 mains (Warrior, Rogue, Mage, Cleric), pictured on the stat page, along with the descriptions of their different stats and in the illustration you could see some of those differences (lean, sneaky thief; bulky, muscular warrior and so on).
Of course stats are one thing, but it would go a long way to explaining the issue I mentioned with armors too.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2012, 05:41:09 AM »
Also, I really think it would be cool if the same characters ran through the books.

I totally agree - and that's exactly what I'm already doing in the Shadow World books.
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2012, 06:09:33 AM »
Also, I really think it would be cool if the same characters ran through the books.

I totally agree - and that's exactly what I'm already doing in the Shadow World books.
Excellent. I am sure you already got characters in mind, but I have a totally awesome (IMO, of course) character idea if you would like to hear it. PM me if so.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2012, 06:51:59 AM »

Excellent. I am sure you already got characters in mind, but I have a totally awesome (IMO, of course) character idea if you would like to hear it. PM me if so.

Terry and Matt have already chosen the group for the Shadow World series which made a cameo appearance in the 'Players Guide - World' and we'll be seeing more of them in the Guild Adventurer #4 and Emer 3.

Maybe their arms could be twisted for another member unless you want to keep the idea for the new Rolemaster books alone. I'm not working on those titles as far as I know - but that's certainly not because I don't want to. I'd love to be a part of the Rolemaster history as it was the first RPG I played (it was RM2 or MERP) back in college and fell in love with Angus McBride's work as well.

But regardless of whether you want to keep the character for RM:U alone or you're willing to add him/her to the SW group, I'd love to know what it is! :)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2012, 10:21:48 AM »
OK, I will gather my notes and put together something for you - it might take a couple of days, as I have quite a bit of material to go through and not all of it is in one place.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2012, 10:39:16 AM »
I'm not working on those titles as far as I know - but that's certainly not because I don't want to. I'd love to be a part of the Rolemaster history as it was the first RPG I played (it was RM2 or MERP) back in college and fell in love with Angus McBride's work as well.

Same here, only it was RM1 back in the early 80s.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2012, 11:36:44 AM »
I'm not working on those titles as far as I know - but that's certainly not because I don't want to. I'd love to be a part of the Rolemaster history as it was the first RPG I played (it was RM2 or MERP) back in college and fell in love with Angus McBride's work as well.

Likewise, although I started in 1985-6 with RM.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline TAK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2012, 01:47:00 PM »
Terry and Matt have already chosen the group for the Shadow World series which made a cameo appearance in the 'Players Guide - World' and we'll be seeing more of them in the Guild Adventurer #4 and Emer 3.

Ah, the navigator summoning scene? I think that is the only picture with more than 1 person in it.

Now, question, are all the new SW books going to be stated for RMU or are they perhaps statless?
Also, and of course you can decline to answer this, is there a new atlas coming as well or will 4ed. be it for RMU as well? What SW books are under works?
I can't wait for more SW stuff, that player book was very cool, but all too short.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2012, 03:00:48 PM »

Probably just as well that I'm not part of that project, I'd be trying to integrate something very similar to the HARP spell system into it... complete with the different mana types.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2012, 03:30:01 PM »
I'm excited too about the great news! Just hope the new system won't only be an update of old rules. I expect changes, and even big changes, things left behind, new ones.

It makes me remember the same feeling I heard about the (old) Star Wars movie being reprojected in movie theaters: I began being a fan of it during its downtime (?) in the mid-90' when a majority of people didn't know what "Star Wars " was. Some years later, back on the screen!!! I was so thrilled at the time! Now, it's Rolemaster: maybe I will see it again on the shelves of the RPG bookstore?  ;D

RM:U --> new accronym? I suppose it means RM unified?

From what I read on this thread, it confirms what I suspected: many long-time users of the ICE forum are (or were) developers of RM. (: Not necessarily obvious with pseudo only. Happy to read some snippets of the upcoming products!
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2012, 03:32:59 PM »
Probably just as well that I'm not part of that project, I'd be trying to integrate something very similar to the HARP spell system into it... complete with the different mana types.

Different mana types???  :o Like RM? Will there be some links between the HARP spell system and RM?
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2012, 06:38:42 PM »

Different mana types???  :o Like RM? Will there be some links between the HARP spell system and RM?

Instead of having RM's "realms of magic", HARP makes a distinction in where the power is drawn from:

Personal mana - From inside you.
Granted mana - From an entity capable of granting it, such as a God.
Ambient mana - From the planet you're on.
Fixed mana - From objects, such as the classic "components", eye of newt, virgin's tears, etc.

So the fact that you are learning spells from "the Cleric sphere" doesn't automatically mean you are using Granted mana to cast them.

Will there be some links between the HARP spell system and RM?

Can't tell you that one, as I'm not the one doing it.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2012, 07:40:10 PM »
Ah, the navigator summoning scene? I think that is the only picture with more than 1 person in it.

Yes, they are Denivor, the Lotana wizard and a female Changramai (but she's never been given a name). There are 3 others yet to be revealed. The Changramai is also on p23 and Denivor (along with another member of the party) are at the Nomikos Library on p28.

Now, question, are all the new SW books going to be stated for RMU or are they perhaps statless?

Re-statting for the different RM books is underway and I'd imagine that RMU will also be done. Any future SW product will be multi-statted.

Beyond that, I cannot say.   :-X

Also, and of course you can decline to answer this, is there a new atlas coming as well or will 4ed. be it for RMU as well? What SW books are under works?
I can't wait for more SW stuff, that player book was very cool, but all too short.

There are a lot more books planned but I know of only 2 that have got to or very close to being finished - The Guild Adventurer #4 (which unfortunately is being held up by me at the moment I'm afraid) and Emer 3.

There will be more Atlas' to come but they're going to be called something different as well as more Continent specific Player Guides.

Beyond that, I cannot say (and I may have already said too much).   :-X

RM:U --> new accronym? I suppose it means RM unified?

You are spot on.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2012, 07:47:05 PM »
Second those comments.  My group keeps making fun of me when I make a comment about a gaming books' decorative index - i.e. lots of nice words and page numbers but basically useless half the time for what you are looking for.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2012, 07:03:33 AM »
While Im not currently playng ANY ICE games, I'll probably get these books too to get a feel for the new system.

They tend to get the creative juices flowing, which is always good!

Regards
Jason Brisbane
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com

Offline TAK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2012, 07:56:42 AM »
There are a lot more books planned but I know of only 2 that have got to or very close to being finished - The Guild Adventurer #4 (which unfortunately is being held up by me at the moment I'm afraid) and Emer 3.

Thanks for the answers, I doubt you can get into trouble for those, I think some of those might be covered elsewhere as well, just hard to remember where.

Regarding The Guild Adventurer (as a whole), why no PoD option? I don't own any, but from what I can figure they are more like magazine size, so wouldn't they only need staples and not a whole new layout?
Yes, I want my stuff in print format whenever possible :P