Author Topic: Director's Briefing - The Rolemaster Briefing (26 June 2012)  (Read 16667 times)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Director's Briefing - The Rolemaster Briefing (26 June 2012)
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 12:03:26 PM »
Fantastic news!

I have a steady gaming group and we mostly play DnD, but only because of the difficulty in getting some of the Rolemaster books. With a new edition, that won't be a proble. I'm really looking forward to the new edition!

'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline bennis1980

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 12:26:12 PM »
...I'll support the endeavor with my $...

Exactly, we need to put our money where our mouths are. I'll be supporting also with €€€

Offline Steel Rabbit

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I eat words for breakfast.
    • Playing Non-Stop
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 02:53:56 PM »
I'm excited to hear that ICE is throwing their weight behind a singular Rolemaster. As great as it is to see a company support the various gamers that enjoy the different iterations of their game, it doesn't look too cohesive to an outsider. Having a single version that ICE can say "this is Rolemaster, it's all you'll need" really builds consumer confidence. I would also like to see some support behind this product line in terms of convention appearances, and Free RPG Day quickstarts/adventures/whatever.

Offline GuernseyMan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 03:07:11 PM »

Exactly, we need to put our money where our mouths are. I'll be supporting also with €€€

And my £ ...

giulio.trimarco

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2012, 03:32:11 PM »
Good news! All the luck to you!

But, will the new version be a collection of "best" rules, or a heavy revision?
Will the weapons table revised? Will the spell point progression tuned down? Bookkeeping lessened, armors more real-world based, locational hits, ecc.?

After three version of RM (RM2, RMSS, RMC) I really have difficulty to buy a new edition of RM that will collect "the best".

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2012, 03:41:05 PM »

And my £ ...

And my axe!  ;)
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline mistrornge

• Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2012, 03:43:51 PM »
Great news guys. Thank you
GMing RMFRP in Forgotten Realms
Charles Morris

Offline Enkili

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2012, 08:30:50 PM »
I've been following these forums and playing Rolemaster for years, but I don't think I've ever posted anything before.  This, however, definitely deserves a nod.  For the record I will be buying this, at least, as one person put it, for the next generation.  I am incredibly curious to see how it comes out and what rules are kept from each system.  I highly doubt I will use the system in the near future as there are too many "optional"  and house rules I implement regularly that could never be covered in the Core Books, but I'll still buy it.  If GCP continues to support "their" system and put out supplements that's when I'll really get excited.  Until people know the new system will be supported, most won't commit to the switch.

The big questions I have for now for the developers is what is the timetable and will there be a playtest/preview. 

Offline thirqual

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2012, 09:15:01 PM »
Oh my. And now I have both a reliable income (so I will be able to support this) and no reliable group (which means I'll have to convince my FLGS that it is fine to introduce people to RM during a D&D meet-up).

Offline Temujin

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2012, 02:04:12 AM »
Very nice.  I'm looking forward to this.

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2012, 03:57:32 AM »
I'll trown my Norwegian Kroner (currency) at this as well, all though it's gonna be hard convincing some of our players to start learning a new (?) set of rules. It would be great if we could get some hints on where all this is going. E.g. what simplifications will be made?
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2012, 05:39:46 AM »
The vanguard of the new Rolemaster edition will be five books - Arms Law, Spell Law, Character Law, Creatures, and Treasures.

No "core rules" book?
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline dreameling

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2012, 08:23:48 AM »
I, for one, cannot wait. Cool!

Offline Fenrhyl Wulfson

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2012, 09:27:37 AM »
The vanguard of the new Rolemaster edition will be five books - Arms Law, Spell Law, Character Law, Creatures, and Treasures.

No "core rules" book?

The rules of RM are ultra simple : roll + skill + mod, compare to a table or a value and you are done. I guess everything will be explained in the law books.

Offline ninja

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Dust, Death and a D100
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2012, 09:48:14 AM »
These are simply awesome news!

Rolemaster has a huge gaming tradition to back it up, and a new edition bringing all that history together in a fresh and inspiring format, with rules that both build, reform and expand on the older versions, should have no problem putting its unique stamp on the rpg market.

I look forward to this with heaps of enthusiasm and anticipation!

Offline TeichDragon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2012, 11:22:49 AM »
Yes! Yes!! Yes!!!
Call me excited, can't wait to hear more.
 :wave:

And yes, I want the new edition as print-products. Either PoD or even better as hardcover.
 :worthy:

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2012, 02:25:20 PM »
Details before you get my $ but I'm excited & looking forward to it. Since I own only RM2 , RMX & RMFRPG (which I don't use), I'll either buy POD of RMC (if I don't like the changes of the new RM) or the new RM if I do like the changes.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2012, 08:42:24 PM »
I am also of the very excited and a little wary.  While I am curious about what the changes will be made, existing material will have to be modified to fit the new system.  Then again we all have been modifying it for years so that won't be that much of a stretch.

If anything at least it should give some ideas for additional house rules that will be actually be written down somewhere.

So in conclusion would our group play exclusively with yet another version?  Definitely not since we haven't played in a 'pure' version of RM, well, ever.  However it won't stop us from picking up at least some of the books to see what has been changed, or perhaps more interestingly what hasn't.  Am definitely excited about the Shadow World tie in.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2012, 01:52:05 AM »
What I think would be great would be if some of the rules modifications and changes reflected some of what's been happening and been said on these forums - which are populated by dedicated, articulate and experienced RM players. I remember one of the producers of 2nd edition D&D saying that he knew he had got it right when he was talking to gamers at a convention, describing some new rule, and the players nodding, before saying "You know, we've been doing that for years."

There is a huge reservoir of creative ways to get around some of the shortfalls inherent in RM, or to make what is already good so it becomes great. So definitely what I don't want to see is a system produced by a couple of people writing in isolation, or just a reprint of existing rules from both versions, loosely stitched together.

This is a great step forward for the longevity of RM though, whatever happens :)

Offline Mordenkainen

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2012, 08:04:38 AM »
At the risk of sounding churlish, I hope that the team pays utmost attention to the presentation of the new edition: art, layout, graphic design, as well as editing. Issues of organisation aside, I think RMFRP was exemplary in these regards, although of course the look would need to be updated for the present decade. I'd like to hold some really beautiful RM books in my hands, and this would be one of the best things to get new people interested in the game.

It will be hard to equal those Angus McBride covers though...