Author Topic: Director's Briefing - 6th January 2012  (Read 4309 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Director's Briefing - 6th January 2012
« on: January 06, 2012, 04:14:54 AM »
Happy New Year from Guild Companion Publications Limited.

This is the sixth of our scheduled Director’s Briefing and will review the progress made in 2011 and where we expect to be across the product lines in 2012.

Let us begin with Rolemaster. 2011 was the year of rebranding existing products. We still have a residual trio of RMSS/FRP products that we wish to rebrand – namely Arcane Companion, Channeling Companion and School of Hard Knocks, all of which date from an era when Old ICE used more fonts than is sane and software did not preserve these rare fonts, and that is why they’ve been left to last. The next major stage of our Rolemaster progress will be to get as many as possible of the rebranded products into print-on-demand via OneBookShelf. I say “possible” because the risk is always that the state of the archives will not permit us to get particular products into print-on-demand in a timely or cost-effective fashion. Looking further out when our layout experts have cleared the rebranding/printing queues, we will have the fourth issue of The Guild Adventurer and additional adventure products – for example, we have one author who is currently writing a ten-scenario campaign. We will also be seeking to conclude our recovery of copyright limbo products that resulted from the original Old ICE bankruptcy.

Turning to Spacemaster, 2011 saw the pdf rerelease of almost all the Spacemaster 2nd Edition materials, including a set of classic adventures never before legally available in pdf. Our layout gurus are already attempting the rebranding of the Spacemaster Privateers. The aim is to rerelease in pdf and print-on-demand and to apply various errata fixes. The archives are, unfortunately, in a fonts mess, so triage may be necessary here. If we can get the whole of the Privateers line into print-on-demand, then we will seek to produce a compendium of the DataNets as a single pdf and print-on-demand product.

And onward to the Shadow World setting, which saw the release of the Shadow World Player’s Guide in print-on-demand as a full-colour softcover product. Behind the scenes, Terry Amthor has been toiling away on Emer 3 (120+ pages now complete), and we expect to see it in both pdf and print-on-demand this year. We will also be complementing this with Xa-ar in print-on-demand, the Shadow World GM Guide, one or more regional modules (approved by Terry Amthor but written by other authors), and all being well, the first of the system-specific rulebooks, the Shadow World HARP Handbook.

This brings us neatly to HARP & HARP SF. We opened 2011 with the release of HARP SF as a pdf product. We closed 2011 with the release of both HARP SF and HARP SF Xtreme in print-on-demand in multiple formats via OneBookShelf. Behind the scenes in 2011, we were and have been working to reconstruct the HARP Fantasy line, which was complicated by the fact that two major sourcebooks, Monsters: a Field Guide and Loot: a Field Guide, were in a copyright limbo. We were able to reach agreement with the author of Loot, and it will return in due course; we were unsuccessful with Monsters. This has had the knock-on consequences that we have needed to develop a new monster creation system (which we are still working on) and will also need to produce a new Bestiary product. It also has impacts on other unreleased products. As those who followed the progress of the Something Wicked project in my old Guild Companion editorials may remember, there are almost as many Demons, Undead and Elemental beings in that work as there were monsters of any sort in Monsters: a Field Guide. These were all designed using the MaFG rules set and so all need to be reworked to conform to the new emergent monster creation system. Our plan is that we will move most of these out of Something Wicked into our new HARP Bestiary product. We will move the Mystic profession, which was originally part of my College of Magics manuscript, into a reshaped Something Wicked. HARP Codex and the various HARPer’s Bazaar issues will not be returning as these have too many balance issues. Instead there will be future themed sourcebooks on divine magic, martial arts, and other topics; as the year progresses, expect to see calls for proposals on these. Construct Toolkit will also be brought into conformance with the new monster creation rules and concepts matured in HARP SF Xtreme. HARP SF will also see calls for proposals for expansions and adventures for it.

And finally to Cyradon, our second setting, which was on hold during 2011, due to its need for the completion of the HARP Fantasy reconstruction. Once all the improvements have been made to HARP Fantasy, we expect to be able to make the HARP version of Cyradon conform relatively easy, which will pave the way for new Cyradon adventure modules, which are already in progress.

That completes our rapid review of the product lines as they were in 2011 and as they will be in 2012. The next scheduled Director’s Briefing will be presented in early February.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Director, Guild Companion Publications Ltd. 
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Director's Briefing - 6th January 2012
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 10:45:56 AM »
Wow a lot going on. Keep one foot in front of the other. ;D
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 09:16:38 AM »
Yikes!  Too many irons in the fire, dude.  Pace yourself.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 10:42:40 AM »
Oh I bet he's not having to carry that whole load all by himself. He's the conductor, he wields the baton. And ICE has been through a lot just lately, damage control is always done at the pace of "as fast as you can go."

;)
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 12:52:28 PM »
If you ask me the whole idea of monster creation system being copyrightable is weird at best, and most likely questionable. Are you working here following laywers advise or is it just to play it safe that you redesign the monsters?

I would certainly agree that the actual text of the book would needed to be recreated if you don't have the copyright anymore. The individual point values assigned to different options that are derived to be balanced to the HARP core mechanics on the other hand, I have large difficulty to see how these could be protective elements in a copyright sense. Especially since the HARP core rules themselves that by nature set the design constraints of the monster creation system it seems the derivation arrow should go from HARP to monster creation system and not the other way around. (I am not lawyer...)   
/Pa Staav

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 02:09:18 PM »
If you ask me the whole idea of monster creation system being copyrightable is weird at best, and most likely questionable.

I'm not a lawyer either, but it occurs to me that if you use the existing monster creation system, any monsters you turn out that are species represented in M:aFG are going to be identical. Questionable perhaps, but nonetheless it sounds like it would be handing the opposing lawyers free ammo. Might be cheaper and easier to come up with a new monster creation system, regardless of whether you have to or not. After all, the goal is to have a money making game for sale, not to win courtroom battles.

And into the bargain you get a chance to go back and fix any issues found since the original product was released.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 02:39:46 PM »
If you ask me the whole idea of monster creation system being copyrightable is weird at best, and most likely questionable.

The entire book is now in copyright limbo, which includes all the text describing the monster creation system. At that point, it really does not matter who owns the actual stats because everything would have to be rewritten around them. Which is when I draw upon the experience I've had in building dozens of monsters for Something Wicked and on my own and others experience of using MaFG. The latter says that MaFG did not provide enough monsters. The former indicates that there are weaknesses in the monster creation system that really ought to be addressed. So we shall make lemonade and HARP Fantasy (and HARP SF) will be the better game for having an improved monster creation system and a larger selection of creatures.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 03:03:01 PM by NicholasHMCaldwell »
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 03:45:07 PM »

The entire book is now in copyright limbo, which includes all the text describing the monster creation system. At that point, it really does not matter who owns the actual stats because everything would have to be rewritten around them. Which is when I draw upon the experience I've had in building dozens of monsters for Something Wicked and on my own and others experience of using MaFG. The latter says that MaFG did not provide enough monsters. The former indicates that there are weaknesses in the monster creation system that really ought to be addressed. So we shall make lemonade and HARP Fantasy (and HARP SF) will be the better game for having an improved monster creation system and a larger selection of creatures.

Sounds like a plan. If you revise the rest of the system there is certainly room for revising monster creation also to make them stay in synch.

I would not mind participating in discussing monster creation for Harp SF. Spent some of the last days looking at HARP SF while I wait for delivery of HARP SF Extreme and I think the Tintamar setting is in need of more cool aliens.
/Pa Staav

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 09:47:48 AM »
This issue is why Paizo can't release certain monsters for Pathfinder.  Certain "iconic monsters" are actually trademarks of WotC.  So, you can in fact, trademark monster statistics.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 11:03:37 AM »
This issue is why Paizo can't release certain monsters for Pathfinder.  Certain "iconic monsters" are actually trademarks of WotC.  So, you can in fact, trademark monster statistics.

Which is an entirely different situation. Trademarks are not copyright.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 11:33:05 AM »

Which is an entirely different situation. Trademarks are not copyright.

Or rather, that would be an entirely different situation. All WotC appear to have actually done is keep a few select monsters outside the OGL. I think, however, that a company not being given certain rights to another companies materials is a different situation from a company losing rights to material that it once published.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 01:32:59 PM »
I think that lies more in unique, iconic monsters.

Like you can TM a Beholder, but not a Dragon.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 03:16:39 PM »
It isn't a matter of trademark, it's a matter of the OGL license itself.

Use of Product Identity: You agree not to Use any Product Identity, including as an indication as to compatibility, except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of each element of that Product Identity. You agree not to indicate compatibility or co-adaptability with any Trademark or Registered Trademark in conjunction with a work containing Open Game Content except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of such Trademark or Registered Trademark. The use of any Product Identity in Open Game Content does not constitute a challenge to the ownership of that Product Identity. The owner of any Product Identity used in Open Game Content shall retain all rights, title and interest in and to that Product Identity.

In order to use the OGL license, http://www.d20srd.org/ogl.htm, you have to bind yourself to not using those items excluded from the license, e.g., mind flayers and beholders.

"Eye of the Beholder" is a trademark -- in photography.
"Beholder" is registered as a trademark of a Russian electronics company.
"The Beholder" was a Nabisco trademark for an "on-line computer comic book" briefly in the late 90s.
There is no trademark registration for the Beholder monster in the United States.

If you care about "mind flayer", check it yourself, here:
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=tess&state=4003:eirbrd.1.1