Author Topic: Director's Briefing - 1st September 2011  (Read 3684 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Director's Briefing - 1st September 2011
« on: September 01, 2011, 04:13:08 AM »
My name is Nicholas Caldwell and I am the Director and sole shareholder of Guild Companion Publications Limited, the company licensed by Aurigas Aldebaron LLC to publish Rolemaster, Spacemaster, HARP, Shadow World and Cyradon. This is the second of our Director’s Briefings.

So where are we with the various projects?

Firstly in HARP SF Xtreme, Craig John has been fine-tuning the deck plans that Joel Lovell reconstructed from Dave Cheever’s originals as featured in the beta versions of HARP SciFi. The area of residual fiddliness is getting the deck plan keys to fit appropriately on the relevant pages. That’s the only thing still to finish off and then we can race to release.

Secondly in the Shadow World domain, the RMSSification project continues apace while Terry Amthor continues to toil away on Emer III. In addition to his work on the Shadow World GM Guide, Matt Hanson is looking into the possibility of producing a distinct Shadow World Timeline product. This would have a lightweight layout to make it easy to update as new entries are added to the timeline. By using the OneBookShelf network’s ability to allow customers to redownload their purchased products, customers would be able to get updated versions at no extra charge.

Thirdly, I am personally working on the HARP Fantasy reconstruction with input from a team of long-term HARP experts. We will be ensuring that software creators get early viewings of the changes so that we can minimise the lag between book updates and software support updates.

Fourthly, all bar one of the Spacemaster 2nd Edition products (that are fully owned by Aurigas) have been published as scanned pdfs on the OneBookShelf network during August. The missing Aurigas-owned Spacemaster module is “League of Merchants”. Once we can create a reasonable scan of this product, we will make it available for purchase too.

Fifthly, as has been indicated in prior Aurigas newsletters, one of the work programmes being undertaken by my company is the recovery of products from the Old ICE and indeed Mjolnir eras that have fallen into various states of copyright limbo. We’ve tracked down some authors already and have secured agreements on a number of products. For instance, we’re just completing the paperwork with Kevin Barrett for the classic Spacemaster 2nd Edition adventure module, “Imperial Crisis: House Devon in Turmoil”, and will be bringing that back from its post-bankruptcy limbo as a scanned pdf product shortly. We’re also doing the paperwork with Tod Foley (author of Cyberspace and Kingdom of the Desert Jewel) regarding a further three classic Spacemaster 2nd Edition modules, “War on a Distant Moon”, “Tales from Deep Space”, and “Beyond the Core”. There are a number of authors and contributors who we still have to find and we will be publishing a list of these on the ICE forums and asking your assistance in finding them.

Once authors are found and agreement reached, what happens next will depend on the product:

1. For RMSS/RMFRP era products where we have the layout files, we will reconstruct them as bona-fide pdfs that are capable of being made available as print-on-demand products as well.

2. For Rolemaster 2nd Edition products and the handful of Spacemaster 2nd Edition and Cyberspace products still in limbo, which have a single author, we will publish these as scanned pdf products as that is the most efficient and cost-effective way of returning them on-sale.

3. Many of the older products, especially the Rolemaster Companions, had lots of authors and this necessitates a different approach. As we come to agreement with specific authors on their material, we will add their material to a list of content requiring text and table extraction. We will need a small team of people to extract these content items (whether by scan and ocr or manually typing it into a Word document). Once there is sufficient material, we will issue a minimally laid-out product, call it the Rolemaster Companion Compendium, which we will price at 20 dollars. At regular intervals as more material is recovered, we would add more content to this Rolemaster Companion Compendium, which is why the layout will be minimalist to make this as easy as possible. Again, we would utilise the OneBookShelf product update facility so that early-bird purchasers could upgrade their copy for free. Eventually the Compendium will stabilise and then we would make the final version available as a print-on-demand product.

Marc Rosen will be leading the search for authors and will also be in charge of the Compendium construction team. Look for threads about both of these aspects on the ICE forums soon.

Lastly, the next scheduled Director’s Briefing will be presented at the start of October.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Director, Guild Companion Publications Ltd.
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Director's Briefing - 1st September 2011
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 06:21:56 AM »
 Great to hear what is going on and seeing things move forward.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 09:42:10 AM »
Any possibility you could talk Monte Cook in to letting you re-release Dark Space?  That setting was the bomb!
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Deepfire

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blödmannsgehilfe and Mad RPG Collector
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 02:30:46 PM »
>The missing Aurigas-owned Spacemaster module is “League of Merchants”. Once we can >create a reasonable scan of this product, we will make it available for purchase too.

How can a simple scan job make any problems? I am sure, enough fans have the book at home (as do I) and are willing to help.

Though I will probably not be a customer (I own very nearly all ICE books): are you going to make your scans searchable?

Deepfire, Art Director and RPG/board-game layouter :-)
Currently DMing:
13th Age - Citystate of the Invincible Overlord
Fear Itself - Cthulhu adventures
Traveller - Tripwire
Rolemaster – Rise of the Runelords

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 04:56:49 PM »
The SCAN PDF versions are essentially image files, and not searchable, the Layout-PDF versions are searchable. (You can also cut/paste out of them and any other text manipulation)

The scan PDFs essentially don't contain text, making text manipulations non usable.

The scan needs to be high quality for a scan product, which usually means finding a near mint copy, then cutting the binding to get flat, perfect scans. . .and people are often reluctant to cut their near mint books.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 04:51:28 AM »
>The missing Aurigas-owned Spacemaster module is “League of Merchants”. Once we can >create a reasonable scan of this product, we will make it available for purchase too.

How can a simple scan job make any problems? I am sure, enough fans have the book at home (as do I) and are willing to help.

League of Merchants is a perfect-bound product. We need a best-possible copy to create a good scan and the process will probably destroy the copy as Marc indicated, which means GCP will have to buy a copy and arrange for it to be scanned.

Though I will probably not be a customer (I own very nearly all ICE books): are you going to make your scans searchable?

Deepfire, Art Director and RPG/board-game layouter :-)

The scans are essentially image files so not searchable.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 05:55:42 PM »
Any possibility you could talk Monte Cook in to letting you re-release Dark Space?  That setting was the bomb!

I'd also like to see this rereleased .
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 09:46:32 PM »
I used to have every Spacemaster product ever released (including the 1st edition Companion, which had some info on MIRCs not included in Armored Assault).  Are the items "still in limbo" including things like Aliens & Artifacts, SpaMCo1 (the 2nd Edition Rules version), Tales From Deep Space, etc.?  Is it possible to provide a list?

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 04:00:31 AM »
I used to have every Spacemaster product ever released (including the 1st edition Companion, which had some info on MIRCs not included in Armored Assault).  Are the items "still in limbo" including things like Aliens & Artifacts, SpaMCo1 (the 2nd Edition Rules version), Tales From Deep Space, etc.?  Is it possible to provide a list?

Owned by Aurigas:
The Spacemaster Companion (1st edition) which we have a scan of, so it will go up in the next wave of products
League of Merchants which we need to create a scan of

In negotiation or completing paperwork:
Imperial Crisis
Tales from Deep Space
War on a Distant Moon
Beyond the Core
Aliens and Artifacts

Still looking for the author
Spacemaster Companion I (2nd Edition rules)

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 07:24:24 AM »
thx Nicholas

Offline Deepfire

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 06:27:56 AM »
The SCAN PDF versions are essentially image files, and not searchable, the Layout-PDF versions are searchable. (You can also cut/paste out of them and any other text manipulation)

The scan PDFs essentially don't contain text, making text manipulations non usable.

The scan needs to be high quality for a scan product, which usually means finding a near mint copy, then cutting the binding to get flat, perfect scans. . .and people are often reluctant to cut their near mint books.

Sure, but you can OCR every scan with Acrobat very easily - and make it searchable/copy-pasteable :)

Currently DMing:
Traveller - Tripwire

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 07:08:25 AM »

Sure, but you can OCR every scan with Acrobat very easily - and make it searchable/copy-pasteable :)

Just tried an experiment with one of the better unreleased scans. My version has refused to process several pages on this, so definitely not trouble-free. I'm happy to let Acrobat try this with future scan products with the proviso that not all pages will be processed (in particular, the test case failed on covers and part of the TOC)

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Deepfire

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 10:38:21 AM »
Yes, Covers are difficult. Probably best results of the inner pages are available if you pre-edit the scans for a better OCR (like deleting the shadows which happen due to scanning the book without breaking its back, reducing the amount of grey, reducing jpg fragments etc.). Plus some of the older ICE books I own were layouted with a very "free mind" concerning frames and boders, so more possible difficulties here :)
Currently DMing:
Traveller - Tripwire