Author Topic: Brainwashing and rate of fire  (Read 1458 times)

Offline Sewercop

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Brainwashing and rate of fire
« on: November 19, 2010, 11:28:03 AM »
What is the cost for the brainwashing skill?

If hasted or adrenal speeded, what are the rate of fire on weapons? Still one shot per fire phase or do they increase?

What about weapons with a higher rof than 2 per round? How do you fire those??

And burst weapons... Seriously, you can target 5(per burst) with half skill but only two single fires???

I have looked for rulings, but i see none.

And superior items... Whats the point of speaking of them without any rules concerning them.
Should one just use rolemaster rules for things not covered in sm2 ?

If you play an charachter 370 years old.. Should we use rolemaster 2 ed for skills for high age?

I love spacemaster, but some things should get sorted. Are there anyone on this forum that have official voice for spacemaster?  We are tired of houserules, we like raw.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Brainwashing and rate of fire
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 10:53:39 PM »
By Fire Arms Law, and adopt the melee round/rules, apply them to energy weapons.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 09:15:49 AM »
I think you are asking about SM2 so I will try and give my answers for that system when I know them.

Brainwashing for SM2 I do not know.

IMHO hasted or adrenal speed do not affect weapons just PC's and only physical melee attacks.

Combat is explained very well in SM2 and the PDF's you can get in the ICE Store or you can pick up RMSS: Firearms Law and or SM:P as they have about the same system. But RMSS: AL FA and SM:P Blaster Law are weapon centric.

Most people do use RM rules for things not covered or want to be covered in there SM game that is not.

Again I do not use SM2 or RM2 but for high age there are rules for stat degeration in the main RMSS book and I think they are about the same as in RM2. But I am not sure.

MDC 
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 05:45:27 PM »
I must say I totally assumed this thread would be something about brainwashing as it related to rate of fire. . .not nearly so controversial once I got in to read it.

Haste will not make the RoF of a weapon speed up, it's mechanical functions work as always. . .so an assault rifle won't fire 2x bullets. . .it comes down to something akin to the slo-mo quickdraw sequences in games like "Gun" or "Red Dead Redemption" where you move so fast they seem to be slow so you can make your shots so much easier. . .

Essentially you can devote more action to each shot, making it hit better.

SM2: I'd allow shots in A and B with a full 100% of activity left over otherwise.
SM:P I would allow 3 shots for someone under haste, one in each phase.

(assuming shots, do you mean bursts?)
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Sewercop

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 07:43:40 PM »
I mean sm 2, should have said that more clear-

You can only fire one single shot per fire phase. Ok, I get it. But who got the brilliant idea to list weapons that actually gets more than two single shots a round???
They have written the rules so specific that one can not fire more than once per weapon per phase. Even thou burst weapons fires 5-10 shots in a burst.. 5 shots if your a ruleslaywer as me.

Thanks for the answers, but I am after offical erratas or rulings.

Are there any one handling offical rulings on this sm board??

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 08:09:58 PM »
We're working on modifying the way official rulings and errata are posted. Hopefully this will be finalized within the next week or two as we continue with further updates and modifications for the forums.

I'll see if I can get you a semi-official ruling in the meanwhile.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 07:44:11 AM »
Sewercop;
 There was a thread http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=9685.0 and http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=10313.0 that may help you out. Also the author of the two threads TerryT has does a lot with SM2 and may be able to help out with your Q's. I would drop him a PM and see if he has already solved your questions.

Also the RoF of a weapon tells what it can do IIRC so a RoF of 1, 2, 3 or 5 says what kind of fire it can do, ie single shot, double shot, 3 shot burst, burst and a 10 is full auto. That is by SM:P rules and I think it is the same with SM2 but I could be wrong.

Can you give me a book where Brainwashing might be found? Or is it a skill someone made up? I checked in the main SM2 rule book and of course it was not there.

Also this SM board is a combo of SM2 and SM:P (RM2 and RMSS/FRP) so you will occasionally get answers for the other system if you do not state your system at the beginning. And as SM2 has been out of print for a while any other info can be of great help when I try and search through my books for info. I do have quite a few SM2 books but not all of them and it has been a while since I have played SM2.

MDC     
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline TerryTee

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 12:50:44 PM »
Thanks for the vote of confidence markc:-)

In my skill sheet I do actually have brain washing as a skill, but I have not cost… And I’m not sure where it came from (I’ve collected skills from various sources). The only info I have is that the listed stat is SD/SD/EM.

As for rate of fire, I’m pretty sure the RAW only allows for one shot or one burst pr phase. A hasted person cannot shoot 4 times with one weapon. You could easily argue that a gun should be able to fire more rapidly, and there are threads about this, but as i said i believe the RAW are 2 pr round.

I guess the guys who wrote the SM2 rules have not shot too much with guns… Yes, you can ‘target’ 5 individuals with a burst, but I guess the idea is that you spray a group of people with 5 bullets and thus you may hit up to 5 people.
Another problem is of course the lack of burst alternatives for energy weapons.

No rules for superiors items. You can house rule it or dream of SM2 supplements;-) There are alternatives out there.

I find that SM2 has some lacking descriptions. Much is identical as RM2, but some things are not described. An examples are Stun levels and effects. They are in RM2, but not SM2…
-Terry

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
TerryTee;
 No problem. I like to put people in touch that play the same system and one of them might have solved a problem of the other or might say something a little different than someone on the ICE boards and then everyone is happy.

Looking at my SM2 book I think I would just use the average of Zeno Psychology and Zeno Anthropology or a series of roll using both skills. So it would not be as easy as a single roll unless you made it so. That is just my 2 cents on the Brain Washing skill that can not be found (yet).

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.