Author Topic: Shadow World Player Guide - The World is now available  (Read 7745 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Shadow World Player Guide - The World is now available
« on: September 01, 2010, 04:42:10 AM »
The Shadow World Player's Guide - The World is now available exclusively from OneBookShelf ecommerce outlets and affiliates.

Written by Terry Kevin Amthor, beautifully illustrated by Craig John, and edited by Matt Hanson, this book is a masterwork of the gaming art.

Visit http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=83779 to see the preview and to buy this indispensable guide for players and gamemasters.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Cursed

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Shadow World Player Guide - The World is now available
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 05:33:16 AM »
Bought and reading it now. I can see it being very useful to Shadow World newbies and a good "Shadow World 101" in general.

And it really is beautiful! Thank you!

-Cursed
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 05:48:16 AM by cursed »
Obliteration equals purity

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 08:48:02 AM »
Looks very interesting! One question tho. Will it be made available through your shop http://guild.ironcrown.com/ in the future?

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 09:04:31 AM »
Looks very interesting! One question tho. Will it be made available through your shop http://guild.ironcrown.com/ in the future?

That is extremely unlikely as we would not be able to offer printed versions through guild.ironcrown.com  and we really want to see this product in print.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 09:25:05 AM »
I'd like to add that although by it's very nature the Player Guide consists of already existing material, don't consider it as simply re-hashed material.   The Player Guide contains something for all fans of Shadow World, GMs and Players alike.   With Craig John's wonderful illustrations (specifically created for Kulthea), and codifying using Lore Skills in your game, newcomers and long-time fans will find reasons to have it in their collection.

Now since it is a World guide what it doesn't contain is material and information on specific cultures and continents such as Emer and Jaiman.   You can see the table of contents in the preview at RPGnow.

Offline Dirik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 01:19:23 PM »
Hi,

just downloaded the book and took a very quick look. It is absolutely gorgeous! Keep bringing the material to us in both pdf and printed formats. I'll be buying this kinda products gladly :)

Now I'm off to read some and refresh old old memories.

Offline mathhatt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 04:47:41 PM »
Just bought it and had a quick look. Illustrations are extremely well done and appropriate. Can't wait to give it to my players! Thanks and congratulations for this !
"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it."
-- Galadriel, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring. --

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 05:48:08 PM »
Glad you all like it! I'm thrilled with Craig's illustrations. If you feel inclined, please take a moment to do a brief review at the site. People like reviews, which will help us sell more copies, and in turn be able to produce more products!

Terry
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 05:43:12 AM »
Looks gorgeous.  When is the print run anticipated?
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 06:31:25 AM »
It's a POD service; as such, there are no "print runs" - as soon as it is fully queued up on the POD printer, you can order it ...

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 12:43:54 PM »
Bought it, had just a quick look at it but I like what has been accomplished here. Excellent overview over Shadow World. I like the tables and graphics, they really make things easier to understand an use. The 25 hour day was always a bit of a problem for us.
The pictures are nice - some of the people are not necessarily my style (the style I like) but the buildings and especially landscapes are GREAT!
Brilliant work! Keep it up! Give us more!
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 02:10:20 PM »
I just got it and it is awesome. A very pretty book (pdf, whatever). I would be willing to shell out some clams for a hardcopy....maybe I will go to a kinkos or something... hhmm
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline arcadayn

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 08:37:38 PM »
Terry and Craig deserve high praise for this one!  I will definitely purchase a print copy of this as well.  I have to admit, I wasn't planning on repurchasing any of the other reformatted books until I saw this one.  I very much look forward to seeing the existing line get this graphical layout.
arcadayn

Offline -Dain-

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 09:01:17 PM »
Just go it!

For a newbie like me, it's just perfect. Artworks are awesome, far from those cartoony style we see everywhere. I love it. I've been lurking around Shadow world for years now, without finding the best way to get in. It seems I've finally just jumped into it :D

... The only dark point though is with the page n°18. My Ipad can't read it. Goodreader (my app) crashes down every single time, on this proper page  :-[
Don't know how the images have been included in the PDF (from illustrator or vector base software maybe) but it's quite slow to load.

But anyway, it's good stuff! I don't mean the opposite. I just wanted to share my experience.

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 10:50:11 AM »
Got it too, and I'm speechless, the finished product with the illustrations is astounding.
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline frnchqrtr

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 11:35:52 AM »
Does it present a better (meaning easier to digest) intro to Shadow World?   Reading the introduction history in the Shadow World Atlas just makes my head hurt.    I want to use Shadow World, but just can't decide on where (or even when "historically") to start.  :-\
"If one would give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest man, I would find something in them to have him hanged." - Cardinal and Duc de Richelieu

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" - Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 03:13:33 PM »
I certainly believe that the Guide is a much better introduction for players. One of our goals with the Gazetteer is to achieve the same result for GMs.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Cursed

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 03:27:44 PM »
Does it present a better (meaning easier to digest) intro to Shadow World?   Reading the introduction history in the Shadow World Atlas just makes my head hurt.    I want to use Shadow World, but just can't decide on where (or even when "historically") to start.  :-\

Yes, shorter and "more to the point"-approach. If I were to start a Shadow World campaign, I would pick either Jaiman or Emer as these two continents are discussed/detailed most in the supplements. And I would choose time which I was most familiar with/thought was most interesting.

-Cursed
Obliteration equals purity

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 04:40:02 PM »

Definitely easier to digest.
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 01:33:42 PM »
Just go it!

For a newbie like me, it's just perfect. Artworks are awesome, far from those cartoony style we see everywhere. I love it. I've been lurking around Shadow world for years now, without finding the best way to get in. It seems I've finally just jumped into it :D

... The only dark point though is with the page n°18. My Ipad can't read it. Goodreader (my app) crashes down every single time, on this proper page  :-[
Don't know how the images have been included in the PDF (from illustrator or vector base software maybe) but it's quite slow to load.

But anyway, it's good stuff! I don't mean the opposite. I just wanted to share my experience.

We think we have fixed this issue with the pdf on the iPad. Please log back into OneBokShelf and redownload your copy. Let us know if it works for you.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell