Author Topic: Hit and Critical lookups take time  (Read 1677 times)

Offline Ralfsi

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Hit and Critical lookups take time
« on: November 19, 2022, 08:03:30 AM »
Hello there!

As the title suggests I find the hits and critical lookup taking a lot of time, so I'm "developing" a Google excel that aim to speed things up.
So my question to you dear reader, is this something that interests you?

If yes, I'll make it in English, 'cuz, you know, there are other languages in the icy north

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
Re: Hit and Critical lookups take time
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 08:32:25 AM »
I think one of the joys of critical hits is the anticipation as the players wait for the lookup to be resolved. The back and forth about what penalties apply, on the other hand, consumes time that could be spent on better things...like crits.
/Pa Staav

Offline Ralfsi

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2022, 09:12:10 AM »
I see your point, but for us the bonuses are solved before the roll

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2022, 10:52:18 AM »
There was some discussion of this on the ICE Discord server. I think some people mentioned the possibility of being able to do the lookup in Discord, which would be pretty cool. Also, you can do it in ERA (the Electronic Roleplaying Assistant) too, as well as IIRC the Combat Minion (although the latter is no longer being supported).
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Ralfsi

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2022, 11:37:28 AM »
That could be an idea, but the thing is, I'm almost done.. just fixing the Crits at the moment,  I suspect that I'm done on Monday, if everything goes according to plan.

I'll make a new post, discord, and post it here for everyone:)

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2022, 12:01:22 PM »
Our groups have the players look them up their own crits and every has a binder with every attack and crit table they common use in a character binder ready to go when attacking with that 'weapon'.
So this just doesn't take our group enough time to have to worry about automating it.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Online EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2022, 03:10:11 PM »
Our groups have the players look them up their own crits and every has a binder with every attack and crit table they common use in a character binder ready to go when attacking with that 'weapon'.
So this just doesn't take our group enough time to have to worry about automating it.

Didn't the RMSS version of Arms Law come with the critical tables on the back of every weapon table?  Thus doing it faster?

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 01:29:21 AM »
Didn't the RMSS version of Arms Law come with the critical tables on the back of every weapon table?  Thus doing it faster?
Yep. We build character binders with everything we need commonly though.  You have your basic character sheet info, a page of skills, two combat pages with all needed info for that, each attack table has it on the left and the crit table on the right, then every spell list you've learned.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2022, 11:47:36 AM »
If you don't use automation, it's definitely a good idea to give every player a copy of the charts relevant to them.

I personally like automation. The table lookups are helpful but from there it's not a big step to also track combatant conditions which also helps a lot. I use a homebrew application for it myself. The only issue is that ICE is not going to want a free app/sheet that contains all the critical results, that's too much ICE content being distributed. If you want to make a product, please talk to ICE about it.

A bot on the Discord server is an interesting idea that would be worth discussing.

If you want something that's already implemented, there is ERA and RM for Fantasy Grounds.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline pantsorama

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2022, 08:22:15 AM »
looks awesome.  If I may make a humble suggestion.  Can you add in the abbreviation definitions section to the front page.  Without it, I will still have to go to the books (for a bit yet).

Offline Ralfsi

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2022, 08:33:22 AM »
looks awesome.  If I may make a humble suggestion.  Can you add in the abbreviation definitions section to the front page.  Without it, I will still have to go to the books (for a bit yet).

Of course, but how do you mean?  ;D

Offline pantsorama

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2022, 03:13:13 AM »

The key that is in the first paragraph of section 11 that begins:

The following effects may be encountered on the critical tables. For details, see Section 9.8.
+X Hit: additional X hits of damage
X B: Bleeding, at X hits every round

Offline Ralfsi

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2022, 06:27:11 AM »

The key that is in the first paragraph of section 11 that begins:

The following effects may be encountered on the critical tables. For details, see Section 9.8.
+X Hit: additional X hits of damage
X B: Bleeding, at X hits every round

Now im with you! That's going to take a while to fix.
Ill do a new post here when this is done.

Offline pantsorama

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2022, 07:09:36 PM »
Thanks, man!

Offline Colin-ICE

• ICE Business
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2022, 11:48:26 AM »
I have removed the link from this thread as I am concerned that it makes too much of ICE's IP available. I have raised it with Nicholas but thought it best to remove it in the meantime. If I have done this in error then apologies to all involved.

Offline Ralfsi

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2022, 10:50:49 PM »
I have removed the link from this thread as I am concerned that it makes too much of ICE's IP available. I have raised it with Nicholas but thought it best to remove it in the meantime. If I have done this in error then apologies to all involved.

Thank-you!
I tried to remove it without success,  I also removed the file to be on the safe side.

Offline Malvok

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Roll perception ... no, you don't notice anything.
    • Maelstrom Development
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2023, 01:33:05 AM »
Foxxed
Always on point, never in the back of the party.