Forum > Echoes of Heaven

Preview 5: Deadly Sins and Languages

(1/1)

Defendi:
The Five Deadly Sins

Because of their close proximity to the evil created when the first angels fell, every race in the Mortal Realm bears the taint of sin.  While this doesn?t necessarily doom them to Hell from birth, it does mean that the races have certain inherent weaknesses.
   Any time a character confronts his deadly sin, he should roleplay the attraction.  If the temptation is great enough (or magical enough) to warrant an RR, then the character receives a -10 penalty.

Deadly Sins by Race:

Dwarf: Greed
Elf: Pride
Human: Wantonness
Halfling: Gluttony
Gnome: Deceit

LANGUAGES

There are many languages in Belkan?th, most of them spoken by human nations.  Others, like Dwarven or Atavistic, are relatively stable and unchanging.
   Below is a discussion of each of the major languages still of some use in Belkan?th.  Many of these languages are no longer spoken but still found in ancient texts.

A Note on Common   There is no common tongue in Belkan?th, merely a common alphabet (and even that isn?t universal).  If a character wishes to speak to everyone, a good start would be to learn the Divine Tongue and Maroldo.  The Divine Tongue is the language of the various churches and the language in which all academic works are written.  Maroldo is the accepted trade language, and most merchants can speak it.

Language TableLanguage       Spoken in        Alphabet

The Galian GroupLudremonian   Ludremon,      Common
                    Felric?s Redoubt
Marnench       Marnele            Common

Defendi:
A bit shorter one this week.  You'll get more next.  :)

lorenen:
 :D can you give more informations regarding languages? now i will start to torment you.. what i want to know is..

* the languages are invented by someone or are real world language?

* what are the sources for languages? (if real world tell what languages, if invented tell the source of ispiration)

* are you think of giving a dictionary of the languages with the modules?

* the languages are already completed? did you have also introduced grammar rules?

* languages are aglutinative like sumerian and, less, Japanese? are based on suffixes and cases like Latin and lithuanian or use part. like all the latin-derived languages?

* did you have ideas regarding the sound of the various languages?

:worthy: please.. the follwing tortures are not allowed on me for asking too much..

:flame: :box: :smash: :whip: :mullet:

:D

Defendi:

--- Quote from: lorenen on February 11, 2006, 06:31:14 AM --- :D can you give more informations regarding languages? now i will start to torment you.. what i want to know is..

* the languages are invented by someone or are real world language?

--- End quote ---
They aren't either.  I don't pretend to be a linguistic scholar.  They are fictional.  If I start inventing them, the sourcebooks would never be done.  :)  If you really need something, find a language that sounds like the names used in the country and use it as a starting place.  That's what I do when I'm writing fiction.  I have about fifty words in a pseudo version of latin for one novel.  I hand it over to my latin-speaking friend whenever I need something translated.  :)

--- Quote ---
* what are the sources for languages? (if real world tell what languages, if invented tell the source of ispiration)

--- End quote ---

I think you are making this more complicated than it is.  :)

--- Quote ---
* are you think of giving a dictionary of the languages with the modules?

--- End quote ---

Probably not.  Maybe a phrase or two if I feel a book is light on flavor.

--- Quote ---
* the languages are already completed? did you have also introduced grammar rules?

--- End quote ---

Wow.  No.  :)

--- Quote ---
* languages are aglutinative like sumerian and, less, Japanese? are based on suffixes and cases like Latin and lithuanian or use part. like all the latin-derived languages?

--- End quote ---

I studied Latin in school so it's made it's impression on the one or two things I've had to do in Imperial (like dating conventions)

--- Quote ---
* did you have ideas regarding the sound of the various languages?

--- End quote ---

I have a little description of each.  It might not make it into the main book for space reasons.

--- Quote ---
:worthy: please.. the follwing tortures are not allowed on me for asking too much..

:flame: :box: :smash: :whip: :mullet:

--- End quote ---

You are forgiven.  :)[/list][/list]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version