Author Topic: What do I need?  (Read 5359 times)

Ramoran

What do I need?
« on: November 28, 2007, 11:42:20 AM »
Hey guys.  Did a search on this topic and didn't find anything.  If I'm a GM and want to start a Rolemaster campaign, what books should I pick up to start?  I was thinking about picking up the rules, Character Law, and Arms Law to start.  Will I need the Spell Law books as well?

Also, are the pdfs really 5800 pages long?  Because I'm going to have to print them off, and that's a pretty hefty amount of paper and ink.  I'd probably have to take it to a print shop or something.

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: What do I need?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 11:55:57 AM »
Hi,

Minimum is Rolemaster Express and nothing else.

For full RM you have to decide whether RMC or RMFRP.

For RMFRP you need only the basic book at the beginning, but its complicated.

For RMC you need all books.

And 5800 is not the page count but the order number. So its about 200 pages max per book.

Br
Juergen

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 12:55:20 PM »
Yeah, bare minimum is the RMX core book PDF.

That gives you the taste of RM, from there choose RMC or RMFRP.

RMFRP core book is all you need to basicly cover the center, expanding out you'd buy the other titles as they interest you. If you ask, you'll likely get lots of different answers on which direction to go in terms of what books in what order. (You'd need to ask an RMFRP person that one.)

RMC wise, RMX is essentially the "core book" extracted from it, so you can then expand out by purchasing the bit of the rest that interests you. Again, here you'll likely get different priorities and choices from different people. If you want more magic, buy Spell Law, if you want more in depth character choices, races, professions, skills and more GM stuff, buy Character Law. If you want more in depth combat, buy Arms Law. My preference there would be to expand RMX to Character Law, then Spell Law, then Arms Law.

The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 02:18:48 PM »
Hey guys.  Did a search on this topic and didn't find anything.  If I'm a GM and want to start a Rolemaster campaign, what books should I pick up to start?  I was thinking about picking up the rules, Character Law, and Arms Law to start.  Will I need the Spell Law books as well?

Depends on the version of Rolemaster you want to play.

If you want Rolemaster Classic, you can start with just RMX (SKU #6500p) -- http://shop.ironcrown.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40_42&products_id=304 (an 88 page PDF)-- and then expand from there into the core RM Classic rules as you see fit, or take things a bit more slowly with the Express Additions PDFs.

If you want Rolemaster Fantasy Roleplaying, then all you need to get started is the Rolemaster Fantasy RolePlaying book (SKU #5800p) -- http://shop.ironcrown.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35_38&products_id=252 -- a 256 page PDF. You can then expands things from there with Arms Law, the 3 Of xxx books for macic, Character Law, etc...

Also, are the pdfs really 5800 pages long?  Because I'm going to have to print them off, and that's a pretty hefty amount of paper and ink.  I'd probably have to take it to a print shop or something.

5800 would be the stock number, not its page count.

Ramoran

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 04:09:04 PM »
Thanks for the tips, guys.  I've been playing SM:2, and I'm interested in playing with the additive rules, so I think I'll try RM:FRP.  I've already started marinating some ideas in my brain for a campaign.  A few more days and I should be scrawling ideas all over a notebook or something.  Then I just need to rope in some players.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 04:10:07 PM »
5800 pages :D

I'd hate to be the writer with that deadline.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 04:24:41 PM »
SM2 would mesh to RMC
SM:P would mesh to RMFRP

Other than tiny variations, those two pairs of systems are the same, so moving from SM to RM you'd have the least trouble keeping inside a pair. SM:2 I'm not certain which version you mean, it's the text of one in the format of the other.

Ramoran

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 04:58:05 PM »
Okay, now I'm a little confused.  Is RMC Character Law the core rule book for RMC, or is RMX the core book for RMC?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 05:54:32 PM »
RMX is a standalone book that gives you everything that you NEED to play Rolemaster in a small, compact package. RMX is meant as an introduction to RM Classic.

It does not have as many races, professions, skills, spells, etc.. as the core RMC books have, it is like a sub-set of that information, but still fully playable.

ROC Character Law is one of the 3 core books for Rolemaster Classic. You would need Arms Law and Spell Law as well to have a fully playable game (you could get away with RMC Character Law and RMC Arms Law so long as you didn't want to include spells).

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 06:02:51 PM »
The Express Rules (RMX) includes 4 Professions, 4 Races, a Condensed Combat System,
30 Spell List (up to 10th level, covering 2 realms) and 20 monsters.
It is all there to play (even a little adventure).

RMC Character Law includes more professions, more races and the skill system.
It is one of 3 Core Books you need to play; the other are RMC Arms Law and
RMC Spell Law. Arms Law contains the complete combat system; Spell Law gives
you Spell List (up to 50th Level, covering all 3 realms).

Perhaps RMX is sufficient for the start, but you will soon need more ...

Ramoran, you are a brave person.
Even as you thought Rolemaster Fantasy Role Playing has 5800 pages,
you still was about to give it a try.
(OK, now you now that 5800 is the Stock number of the product and
the following 'p' indicates the pdf version of the product)
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 06:38:05 PM »
Still...58 HUNDRED pages :o 

Good lord, I would run for the hills.  My really big and expensive dictionary is about 2400 pages.

It still makes me chuckle.  Obviously this man should take the talent "Immune to fear."

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 10:06:35 PM »
Coming full circle.

The smallest playable version of RoleMaster Classic is the RMX book.

The smallest playable version of RoleMaster Fantasy Roleplay is the RMFRP Core book.

I think, to give you the right answer, I need one bit from you.

Are you playing Spacemaster 2, or are you playing Spacemaster: Privateers?

Ramoran

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 12:22:48 AM »
Spacemaster 2.  I've been leaning toward RMFRP, though, just because I want to try out the newer system.  RMX sounds like a nice, simple way to start, but after playing SM2 and running DnD with no real playing experience, I think I can probably handle a full system without too much trouble.  I'm probably going to end up scrapping much of the setting and using strictly the rules, races, creatures, etc. when I build my campaign.  Call me ambitious, but I just like to build my worlds from the core out.  I figure it'd be more useful to go ahead and invest in a full system rather than a streamlined one, and the RMFRP core book seems to be the one book that actually has a complete base system rolled into it.

I might get supplements later, or I might bundle the pdfs, but I'm going to start simple. The campaign I want to build will be played "wake 'em up" style, meaning my characters will wake up not knowing who they are, where they are, why they're there, or even what system they're playing.  I was introduced to SM2 this way, and it was actually a really fun and interesting way to learn the system.  We didn't even get character sheets until just recently, after a few months of play.  All we needed was dice and notebook paper, and it allowed a lot of room for exploration and character establishment without having to hash out the system.  Right now I'm fresh out of cash, though, so this will have to wait 'till closer to Christmas to really get rolling.  Even once I've got my campaign ready to play, there's no guaruntee I'll be able to get anyone to play it.  If I can get this thing off the ground, I'll probably be posting here for tips fairly often.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 12:31:21 AM »
RMX/C would meld to your previous experience almsot seemlessly.

OTOH, I think RMFRP is close enough that your familiarity will get you over the hump of comprehension quite fast. (For that matter, I think you'd probably pick up HARP pretty easily too, it's not all that different.)

I never took to FRP, but I can't fault your logic, it is the one beefy book option.

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 12:49:21 AM »
There are long discussions on "which RM" without a clear outcome. Personally I prefer RMC, but many other prefer RM:FRP.

The reason for mentioning this is that this shows that you don't have to switch to RM:FRP, especially as you are familiar with SM2, as it is not a superior but a different system. But at the same time switching to it would not be a bad choice.

BR
Juergen

Ramoran

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2007, 01:06:18 AM »
Here's a question.  If I want to go the RMC route, wouldn't it be cheaper to get the RM2 books?  Are there actually any differences between RMC and RM2?

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2007, 01:32:27 AM »
Buying the RMC books will give ICE cash to produce more books that you can buy later. The difference between RMC and RM2 is that with RMC they actually had ease of usuablity as one of the design goal.

For the record I am a RMFRP guy.

/Pa Staav

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2007, 01:37:11 AM »
Hmm,

There are in my opinion 2 reasons why ICE published RMC:

a) RM2 is no longer in print but has a large fanbase and is also less complicated than RM:FRP.

b) At the end - with so many companions, of which some seem to have undergone only limited playtesting (to put it that way) - RM2 was very unbalanced and also a bit confusing. So ICE brought options from the oldcompanions into the RMC core books, clearly stated what is optional and what not (and what the impact of choosing an option is) and reorganized the content into a more modern format.

So going for RM2 instead of RMC is doable, but whether its the better or cheaper option, especially since you seem to have no RM2 material so far, depends on your preferences and eBay prices.

BR
Juergen

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 01:38:42 AM »
I think RM2 became cheap on ebay since RMC was released....
/Pa Staav

Offline Balhirath

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 03:59:03 AM »
I hope so :)
There some books that I would like to have again, since my old ones are rather used :)
I'm new here, but have played RM2 on and off for 20 years. :)