Author Topic: Organic material (living, non living)  (Read 2428 times)

stein

Organic material (living, non living)
« on: November 02, 2007, 10:44:44 AM »
Hi can some please explain to me what goes into the
Living organic category....
And the non living category.

I have finally get my group and are about to start GM and one of the players make a spellcaster of essence and i explain the rules with the deduction cause of wearing things.
And he follows that up with a question what is living organic and dead organic material.
I searched the internet and stumbled on explanations about the chemistry setup in a organic thing that cant be the meaning with the rules.

Hope for a short and wuick anser otherwise all organic material will be classed as the most positive for the players.

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
Re: Organic material (living, non living)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 11:29:40 AM »
examples...
living organic: the unconscious body you are carrying, your familiar
non-living organic: fabrics are commonly botonical, but obviously dead; skins for clothing as well; food; the seashells your hair is adorned with

Chemically speaking, organic means it's carbon-based. There may be carbon atoms in rock, dirt, or impure metals, but it is incidental and minor.
"Even the most free roaming video game in the world still has to rely on programmed quest resolution triggers.  Only table-top RPGs make any solution possible.  Even ones not originally intended by the GM.  You  will never replace that." --Rivstyx

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 04:06:36 PM »
living means alive, dead would cover non metalic clothes and weapons, wood, cloth, hide, leather, grass (hat), furs, wool, shell, silk, etc.

The restrctions generally apply to not wearing metal armor or carrying metal weapons, but also mean it's hard to carry metal gear, or a lot of coin around.

Your average mage would likely have sewn or glued shoes, avoid metal buttons and hooks on their clothes, and generally look like your average green on parade. . .but no too much in the way of clothes, unless needed, as eventually all that "dead" matter may begin to pile up weight.

Many a GM will rule "magical" dead organic matter shouldn't be considered "dead" as it's got an active magical aura (if not an active living aura). . .that's a house rule though.

On the flip side, I've never known a mage to take a casting penalty for "Your underwear, shoes, pants, socks, shirt, coat and overcoat are over the organic (dead) limit!" You certaily wouldn't find too many mages in northern climes, and many temperate ones would go south for the winter if GMs were sticklers for that rule ("I'd turn you into a crisp, but this damned fur coat has me over my ESF limit!").

I generally only drag it out if someone is blatantly trying to abuse it. . .otherwise I ignore it.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

stein

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 03:59:02 PM »
Thanks for the replies i have got my answers  :) and are happy with them.