Author Topic: Question about electricity critical  (Read 789 times)

Offline alloowishus

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Question about electricity critical
« on: April 10, 2021, 10:44:04 AM »
THere is a critical (A Crit) that says some like "strike to side, if wearing armor +10 hits and stunned 6 rounds, otherwise stunned 3 rounds and at -50"

Should that not say "If wearing metal armor"? I would expect the extra damage and stunned would come from metal, not leather.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
Re: Question about electricity critical
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 11:15:04 AM »
Assuming you've quoted exact wording (this isn't a RMSS result and I don't have the RM2 table easily to hand), -50 is more severe than a loss of 10 hits and an extra 3 rounds of stun. Looks like the armor has protected the target. (It does not say "stunned and at -50 for 3 rounds"; that's an enduring penalty.)
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline alloowishus

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 12:03:36 PM »
Ok, I was assuming that your stunned 6 rounds with armor because of the electricity. Don't want to be picky, but I would say stunned 3 rounds with leather, 6 rounds with metal.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 04:26:50 PM »
There was another debate on this topic a while back and it went all over the board with theories, scientific facts, real-world examples, Farraday suits, high voltage line repairs, etc. 

The general gist is that there is more involved than "just" electricity.  There is heat, impact, burns, shock, voltages, is the metal armour routing the charge to ground, padding under the metal armour, leather armour is thinner and perhaps offer less insulation, etc.  A person in metal armour wouldn't want that armour resting on their body, there would be ample padding possibly protecting them from the voltage, but not the impact or heat.

I agree with @rdanhenry, -50 for the duration is worse than 6 rounds of stun.

If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 05:11:36 PM »

I agree with @rdanhenry, -50 for the duration is worse than 6 rounds of stun.

Especially in RMU, where stuns can be literally just a -50 for their duration.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle