Author Topic: suffocation / drowning  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Luxferre

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
suffocation / drowning
« on: April 10, 2021, 04:52:15 AM »
My Google-Fu ist weak!

I cannot find rules for suffocation and/or drowning. Can anyone please help out?

Thanks in andvance!
Feed me! I'm hungry...

ina killatesu basma kabis sumsu

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: suffocation / drowning
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 06:39:04 AM »
If you can get a hold of RMC-VII, there is some very good info and a crit table for Trained Swimming, Swimming Skill Options, and Drowning Critical Table.  pp: 26-27
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 11:09:31 AM »
The only RMSS/RMFRP rule I can find is in SoHK under swimming, which notes you can hold your breath for as many rounds as your constitution divided by 10.

Here's the rule from RMU. Note that this is only 5 second rounds, and some of the skills are different, but perhaps it's a useful starting point:

A character who has had a chance to take a breath first may hold it for 12 rounds (1 minute) plus or minus the character's Constitution bonus in rounds (minimum of 1 round). Each subsequent round the character must make an Absolute Maneuver using their Endurance modifier (Body Development skill bonus plus any racial Endurance modifier). A successful Adrenal Focus maneuver will add +25 until the Body Development maneuver is failed. The maneuver starts off Easy (+20) and increases 1 difficulty each round. If the character does not get a chance to prepare (thrown into water unexpectedly, sudden poison gas explosion on top of him, etc.), then the character can only hold his breath for a number of rounds equal to his Constitution bonus before rolling every round (minimum of 1 round).

A failed check means that the character takes a breath and is affected by any toxins in the air. If underwater or in an airless environment the character takes 1d10 hits per round and must make an Endurance roll each round. In addition, characters inhaling water are Stunned[-50] until they are able to clear their lungs.

System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 11:52:18 AM »
I wasn't happy with the way this was treated, and homebrewed the following:
Each round the character is endangered, they must make an RRCO. If their airway is completely obstructed, the attack level is equal to the character level. If the character is in an oxygen-poor environment but still getting some air, the attack level can be decreased proportionately. For example, at 10% oxygen (compared to normal atmospheric 20%), AL=½ character level.
If the RR succeeds, the character does not suffer any damage. If it fails, the character loses Exhaustion Points equal to the failure margin.
Simultaneously, the character will automatically begin to panic. Each round the RR fails, the panic modifier on all actions is -50. If the RR succeeds, the panic modifier is only -20. This only applies to actions, not RRs.
When Exhaustion Points reach zero, all remaining and future RR failures become stat reductions. Each round, randomly apply the RR failure to CO, ME, or RE. If it reduces CO, reduce the CO bonus accordingly. When any stat reaches zero, the character is dead. There is no HP damage from suffocation/asphyxiation.
If the character survives, half of stat loss is permanent and can only be healed by magic. The other half heals at a rate of 5 points per day of full rest, 1 per day of activity.
--------
I've used it for both a suffocation encounter and a drowning-while-failing-to-swim encounter, and it worked pretty well. Your mileage may vary.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline Luxferre

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2021, 08:07:53 AM »
Thank you all - I just forgot to give you feedback, sorry!

One of our characters uses a Garotte and we were thinking about a rulesset as there is none in any of the books.
The point is, that its not about holding your breath, its about blood-stop to the brain, which lets you pass out and afterwards you suffocate. No rule so far.
Feed me! I'm hungry...

ina killatesu basma kabis sumsu

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 02:22:04 PM »
In RMU, I'd probably treat a garrote as a small grapple attack that must be a called shot to the head, and if at least 25% grapple is achieved (and as long as it is maintained), treat as sudden breath-holding. (Reducing the size to small offsets the suffocation benefit.) Change the critical description as appropriate. The attacker can continue making attacks to achieve a more severe result.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster