Author Topic: Question about Healer spells  (Read 972 times)

Offline alloowishus

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Question about Healer spells
« on: March 18, 2021, 09:36:24 AM »
So if a healer has a spell to heal 1 hit/rnd, can they cast it multiple times if the person is bleeding 3 hits/rnd?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Question about Healer spells
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 10:10:09 AM »
I assume you mean to treat bleeding injuries, e.g. Flowstop or Clotting or Cut Repair.

The exact wording varies between editions, but generally the answer is no if you are talking about a single wound. The Healer list Blood Ways in RMSS says, for example for Clotting I, "Allows caster to stop bleeding on a wound that is bleeding 1 hit per round." As written, the intent is that it won't work at all on a wound that is bleeding 2+ hits per round. It does not say "Allows caster to reduce bleeding by 1 hit per round." As a GM you might be generous and permit the spell to be used to reduce bleeding by 1, but if you allow it to be cast multiple times to achieve the effect of higher level spells, it undermines the value of those higher level spells significantly.

If you have multiple wounds each bleeding 1 hit/round, then sure, you can cast it once per wound, that's fine.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 11:14:08 AM »
If I can ask a follow up for RMU:

The Flowstop line of spells (Closed Channeling: Blood Law) are worded rather differently. They say: "Reduces a target’s blood loss by up to 1 hit/round." Does this mean that you could cast five 'Flowstop I' spells to heal a single wound bleeding at -5/round?
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 11:50:08 AM »
Hmmm, we did change that for Flowstop, didn't we? Could be more clear.

I think the rule would be that, since Flowstop remains as an active spell until you get real healing, it can't be stacked on itself just like any other ongoing spell can't be cumulative with itself, including different numbered versions of itself (e.g. can't combine Flowstop I and Flowstop III just like you can't combine Aura and True Aura).

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 12:11:27 PM »
You could make that ruling, but it might be better just to change the text of Flowstop to be the same as the updated text of Clotting (note too this was what RM2 did: the texts were the same except for the additional benefit of Clotting being that after 1 hour the target could move as normal). 

Not everyone will be aware of the ruling, but everyone will have access to the text of the spells.

'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 05:44:13 PM »
You could make that ruling, but it might be better just to change the text of Flowstop to be the same as the updated text of Clotting (note too this was what RM2 did: the texts were the same except for the additional benefit of Clotting being that after 1 hour the target could move as normal). 

Not everyone will be aware of the ruling, but everyone will have access to the text of the spells.
+1

Offline alloowishus

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 02:10:59 PM »
Ok thanks.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 02:04:36 PM »
I'm just adding this to the spell description for the first flowstop spell on any relevant list: "Multiple Flowstop spells may not be cast upon the same wound."

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2021, 05:11:54 PM »
Is there a reason why that would be better than just having the spells use the same wording?