Author Topic: Rare Event: Same Crit on PC, NPC or creature  (Read 811 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Rare Event: Same Crit on PC, NPC or creature
« on: October 27, 2020, 10:07:48 PM »
A rare event that has happened in my game more often then I would expect is a player and or me the GM roll the exact same crit as has been rolled before, so in this case do you simply add the two together, increase the results or take it as a case by case basis?

In my game I have done all of the above depending on where I was understanding the game, now I am in the case by case basis group.

Example:
A number of times the players have rolled a crit that gave a large bleed result on a larger and or super large creature, in this case depending on the creature and where the attacks came from I may or may not double the bleed per round but give extra bleed this round. But again there was one time I increased the total bleeding per round to x3 instead of x2 as it made sense per the weapon used, attack description and environment of the combat.

Example:
Cracked bone: -10 + other stuff, if rolled again do you just do -20 + x2 other stuff or do you say the area is already damaged and thus it is easier to damage so I will do -30 + x2.5 other stuff?

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Rare Event: Same Crit on PC, NPC or creature
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 10:25:25 PM »
For simplicity I would just apply the result again. Otherwise I have to actually remember the critical from before. :) If I'm going to think about it, maybe it's the same blood vessel on the other side of the body, the other arm is broken, too, etc.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 12:17:16 AM »
I would just assign the same penalty again but just describe a slightly different area
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 07:43:22 AM »
Same as the above quotes.  The GM would be tracking the Bleed/Stun/negatives of the NPCs and the players would be tracking the same for their own PC.  The results of the crits are additive.  +3 rounds stun, bleed -2... +3 rounds stun, bleed -2 = 5 (remaining rounds of stun) -4 bleed per round.  If the second crit was something more or less severe, the results would still be cumulative.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 08:37:57 AM »
And remember that in RM2 and RMSS, the relatively long round means you are working with a 'flurry of blows' concept, which means that someone could very easily land two or more lethal or damaging blows. So there's no reason not to describe the attack as hitting twice, even in the exact same area/fashion.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 11:29:35 AM »
On attack hitting twice:
Two players each rolling the same crit in separate rounds but I do think it happened once in the same round from the same side of a large or very large creature.
IIRC, the crit was a 20 point bleeder, but it could have been smaller number, which is a lot of blood and thus would tend to restrict the locations it could be from.

Thanks
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.