Author Topic: First session since 2009, so many things forgotten...  (Read 1205 times)

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
First session since 2009, so many things forgotten...
« on: September 29, 2020, 07:47:47 AM »
Last Saturday I finally got to connect with my old group on my old continent and we played a five hour session of RM2. So many rules had we forgotten and couldn’t find an answer to (How fast do you regenerate power points?)
We discovered mistakes ages past such as open ended is 1-5 for skills checks.1-4 is only for attack spells. We had used 1-4 in every situation.
It’s great to be back though!
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: First session since 2009, so many things forgotten...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 10:16:57 AM »
Welcome back!

I wrote a blog post on how different versions of RM had different rates of PP regeneration, if it might help. You can read it here: https://www.rolemasterblog.com/rmu-update-power-point-regeneration/
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 05:04:35 PM »
Yes quite often we have make house rules for our games and then when working through stuff and or move to another game we realize just how many house rules we have used.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 05:22:21 PM »
Your post just brought to mind a person I used to game with in which he had a binder for each Palladium book he had of explanation and house rules for that book. Often the binder of info was as big or bigger then the book it referenced.   

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 06:03:21 PM »
Your post just brought to mind a person I used to game with in which he had a binder for each Palladium book he had of explanation and house rules for that book. Often the binder of info was as big or bigger then the book it referenced.   

I already have many pages of houserules for RMU, and it isn't even out yet  :)
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 06:45:37 PM »
Yeah, I have been thinking to go through all the books and make a document with all optional rules and the house rules we are using, just to be in the clear.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 07:57:36 PM »
It's always good to have those things clear to the players.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 04:16:16 AM »
Welcome back, man!
Very kewl, and I hope all the old jokes and one-liners of ages past were bandied about to deep chortling guffaws the whole way through!!!

Funny you mention the 1-4 fumble range of OE-LOW, because I GM’d for 20ish yrs before learning the same thing, late!

Pretty sure it’s because we’re on Earth-79, but counting out OE-HIGH’s range of numbers on fingers made things make sense, LOL!

It was an “a-ha!” give your head a shake moment, for sure.

Enjoy!