Author Topic: RMSS - Lay Healers - Curing Disease  (Read 1005 times)

Offline aarcc

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMSS - Lay Healers - Curing Disease
« on: August 31, 2020, 02:38:28 AM »
The RMS Standard Rules (pg 245) suggests Lay Healers base spells can heal, "certain diseases". I can't see spells here or in the open or closed Mentalist lists that can cure diseases. As far as I can see the only way a Lay Healer could cure disease is by choosing (at expense) The Healer Base List "Cleansing". Is this an oversight or is there a good reason for this?

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Re: RMSS - Lay Healers - Curing Disease
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 09:10:49 AM »
To me this sounds like an error in the profession description of the Lay Healer. AFAIK their Base Lists don't contain spells for healing diseases. And spells from other lists IMHO don't belong into the profession description.

Offline aarcc

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMSS - Lay Healers - Curing Disease
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 10:21:46 AM »
To me this sounds like an error in the profession description of the Lay Healer. AFAIK their Base Lists don't contain spells for healing diseases. And spells from other lists IMHO don't belong into the profession description.
[/size]

The Lay Healer description in RMC Character Law (Pg 40) also says; "Their base spells deal with the specific healing of certain diseases". Perhaps the Lay Healer Base Spell Lists do need to include spells to combat disease?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 10:41:07 AM »
We put a few spells for treating poison and disease on the Lay Healer's Blood Mastery base list in the current draft of RMU Spell Law. Conceptually, that would be about purifying the blood etc. It was odd that they have a whole base list for the niche function of replacing limbs but nothing for one of the most important functions of a healer in a medieval society.

As written in RMSS though, a lay healer would need to use medical skills and perhaps herbs to accomplish those things. They don't even have a general purpose diagnosis spell to identify the problem (we're adding that, too, similar to the Healer version).
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 02:46:17 PM »
I think someone wrote the description for the profession and then someone thought it was too close to the healer or that at the time specific magical areas were assigned to specific realms. If that does not make sense think of the Magic the gathering color wheel and how each color does somethings well and others poorly or not at all.

In the past I have not done a lot with disease and if I have then I have allowed the Lay Healer to treat the disease.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 05:52:17 PM »
I took a look at the Lay Healer list (real quick) and here is what I would do,

1) Add a spell that is like Joining in that it requires a Blood list spell and a spell from the Nerve and Organ Law to cure the disease.
2) Another option is to place a spell in Nerve and Organ law (IMHO more appropriate then Blood) and have it cost x2 PP.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.