Author Topic: Ideas on how to convert some D&D creatures stats to Rolemaster (RMSS) ?  (Read 1774 times)

Offline Bilo

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Hi folks

I was wondering if there is a  a source material for this as there a few creature in D&D that I like to bring in to my homebrew Shadow world setting, true I can always come up with random numbers, but I like to be accurate as much as I can

creatures like striges, bugbears, gnolls, to name a few

cheers

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Ideas on how to convert some D&D creatures stats to Rolemaster (RMSS) ?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 09:34:33 AM »
RM2 Character Law has a basic chart for converting rolls between different systems.  The D&D base 20 and RM base 100 is only a factor of 5.  Any conversions between the two systems that we've done (in either direction) have been mostly #*5 or #/5.  There are detailed descriptions of the AT for RM where you can choose the appropriate AT easily enough.

After you've done the conversion, look at some of the other similar/equivalent RM creatures to see how they match up.  You're the GM and the creatures are infinite.  You can easily tweak some numbers +/- 1 (or 2) to fit your game world's power level or to match to your PC's party level.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Bilo

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 09:54:25 PM »
thank you kindly, I will definitely do that already few creature similar to creatures in D&D I think I will do with some tweaks!!

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 03:40:22 AM »
The conversion rules in RM2/RMC were written with AD&D (1st/2nd Edition) in mind.

Most of the numerical thing also carry over to D&D 3.x.

* For Pathfinder some of the converted values come out too high, so cut them by 10-20%.

* For D&D 4e requires cuts by 10-40% depending on Tier Level

* For D&D 5e you can use mostly normal conversion.
I'd swallow cthulhu whole, with sushi and soy-sauce.

Currently: [BME] [FitD]
Legacy: [d6] [Genesys] [ArsMagicka] [MERP] [HARP] [Ubiquity] [d20] [WoD] [SR] [WHFRP] [WOIN/O.L.D.] [RM2/C]

Offline Bilo

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 08:49:13 AM »
thank you!!

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 01:45:42 AM »
Tim Dugger wrote guidelines about the matter.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Bilo

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 05:11:11 AM »
Awsome thx!!!

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 07:47:04 AM »
You can also familiarize yourself with the creatures in the various Creatures & Treasures or Creatures & Monsters books. There is a ton of overlap which isn't immediately obvious because names are different. For example, both systems have green slime but RM names them differently so as not to risk copyright issues.
No pre-written adventure survives contact with the GM.

Offline Bilo

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2020, 11:37:13 AM »
appreciate the feedback, I will use both approaches, suggested above.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 04:08:20 AM »
I forgot about it but Laura Henson also wrote some "conversion guidelines for RPGs" and that includes the D20 and ICE systems. Between hers and Tim's, you should be able to find your way.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Siltoneous

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2020, 10:37:03 AM »
Peter over at the Rolemaster blog has done some work on converting Monsters from d20 to Rolemaster.
https://www.rolemasterblog.com/wiki_cats/monster/

Now, those are the conversions he's done (or been donated), but if you search that site some you'll certainly come across other information on his process.  Such as:
https://www.rolemasterblog.com/making-monster-conversions-dd-rm/
"All right, move on! Nothing to see here! Please disperse!" Frank Drebin, Police Squad

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2020, 06:48:06 AM »
as you mention Peter, he and Ken Wickham have done a d20 to d100 conversion on DTRPG
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/199353/5e-x-5-Monsters

although it is mixed RM and d20 mechanics it can be a great shortcut, and it is only $1
I'd swallow cthulhu whole, with sushi and soy-sauce.

Currently: [BME] [FitD]
Legacy: [d6] [Genesys] [ArsMagicka] [MERP] [HARP] [Ubiquity] [d20] [WoD] [SR] [WHFRP] [WOIN/O.L.D.] [RM2/C]

Offline Bilo

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2020, 12:18:00 AM »
great guys thank you more then enough to work with now!!

cheers