Author Topic: What spells require RRs?  (Read 877 times)

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
What spells require RRs?
« on: August 04, 2020, 05:34:22 PM »
Relearning RM2 after more than 10 years away from it is proving to be a challenge when questions appearing I either had answers for back then or just winged.

My question today is what spells require resistance rolls? Balls and Bolts do not, but what about wall and fog spells? If jumping through them is RR required or not? What about Vacuum or Fire Cloak (Comp VII)?
Once I think I believed F spells required RRs though now I’m not sure.

Bonus question: where is the (optional) rule for 10% instantaneous spells?

Thank you always for your help
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: What spells require RRs?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 11:21:35 PM »

Bonus question: where is the (optional) rule for 10% instantaneous spells?

The answer is a bit complicated, but you can find a full history of the instantaneous spell in my post #32 here:

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=18590.20

The short answer is that Instant spells cost 75% action to cast in the core RM2 rules, with an optional rule to reduce that to 50%. The optional rules introduced in RM2's Companions I, IV, and VI effectively reduced the amount of activity required to cast an instant spell, but they did so apparently based on a mistake in what 'instant' meant (it really was supposed to mean 'requires no prep' rather than 'requires no activity'), so RM2's Companion VII clarified that instant spells require 75% or 90% activity. RMSS went in the other direction and reduced that activity to 10%, changing the meaning of Instant from the original 'requires no prep' to the new 'requires minimal activity'.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
Re: What spells require RRs?
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 10:39:34 AM »
Fog spells create fog. You cannot resist the existence of fog, so no RR. Wall spells do not allow for an RR, but you have to choose to cross a Wall of Fire, so no unavoidable damage there.

Vacuum allows an RR; checking Fire Cloak, it would as well. That is the very reason that these spells that blatantly use an element are Force rather than Elemental, because they need to allow for an RR.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.